Cheap go pro and a pike float

elmoputney

The marketeer who coined the phrase "fish finder" must be laughing all the way to the bank. A Deeper cannot differentiate a fish from a kitchen sink. OK there aren't too many kitchen sinks in a lake but there are plenty of gas bubbles, loose bits of weed or general detritus floating around all of which give a reflection to the pulse generated by the transducer.

If you could be sure it was a fish, it would only tell you where it had been and not where it would be when you are fishing. You would not be able to tell if it was a carp or a bream.

Carp are sensitive to vibration so you may have already scared them off. Switch on your Deeper by dipping it in water and listen to the noise it makes.

A Deeper is a good tool for measuring depths very quickly and can replace hours of thrashing around with a marker float. More important for me is it can locate underwater obstructions such as an area of submerged fallen trees which could be a hazard to landing a fish or which could provide a holding area.

It is nothing more than a useful tool that requires experience to get the most benefit from it.

From what I've watched of the new Korda 7 there seems to be an awful lot of drone use for fish finding.

Really don't want to see these damn things flying over the lakes I fish, highly annoying and IMO not angling in any way, cheating!

For me a big part of fishing is not knowing exactly what features are out there and where the fish may be, its the art of working it out for yourself - for me anyway, I don't want or need shortcuts to success.

46 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

From what I've watched of the new Korda 7 there seems to be an awful lot of drone use for fish finding.

Really don't want to see these damn things flying over the lakes I fish, highly annoying and IMO not angling in any way, cheating!

For me a big part of fishing is not knowing exactly what features are out there and where the fish may be, its the art of working it out for yourself - for me anyway, I don't want or need shortcuts to success.

Can you get a bait drone yet? Probably won't be long before you can discreetly drop a kilo of bait from 3000 feet 😂

I like the footage they produce tbh and for a video they are fine, but if people are using them to fish with that seems a bit much,  to be fair to Korda they always seem quite honest about what they use in there videos, if they rope off a swim they will tell you they have etc and Tom dove did say he had used the drone footage in finding the fish 

17 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Can you get a bait drone yet? Probably won't be long before you can discreetly drop a kilo of bait from 3000 feet 😂

I like the footage they produce tbh and for a video they are fine, but if people are using them to fish with that seems a bit much,  to be fair to Korda they always seem quite honest about what they use in there videos, if they rope off a swim they will tell you they have etc and Tom dove did say he had used the drone footage in finding the fish 

Very true I have nothing whatsoever against Korda - great company and Danny seems a lovely guy trying to do the right thing.

My issue is purely the technology and what I see as a shortcut to success.

There have been recent posts from Nash on Instagram where a particular fish was caught directly as a result of drone footage.

Yes it makes good telly so to speak but that doesn't mean I would appreciate it next to me buzzing round lol  Where's the shotgun?

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

Very true I have nothing whatsoever against Korda - great company and Danny seems a lovely guy trying to do the right thing.

My issue is purely the technology and what I see as a shortcut to success.

There have been recent posts from Nash on Instagram where a particular fish was caught directly as a result of drone footage.

Yes it makes good telly so to speak but that doesn't mean I would appreciate it next to me buzzing round lol  Where's the shotgun?

I do agree I wouldn't want them buzzing overhead either isn't there a lake that has live streaming of the lake from it? I am sure I heard that you could sit at home and watch the water lol 

4 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Kev. , would you use a Deeper to quickly get a rough idea of the features of the lake , if you then got your Marker Rod out to confirm your findings ? .

I find that I need more experience with my Deeper to get the most benefit from it , as Carpepecheur says .

😃

1 hour ago, crusian said:

Kev. , would you use a Deeper to quickly get a rough idea of the features of the lake , if you then got your Marker Rod out to confirm your findings ? .

I find that I need more experience with my Deeper to get the most benefit from it , as Carpepecheur says .

😃

Yes mate, I imagine I'd only use it for a quick depth check for zigs on an overnighter but on a week session well worth having a proper go.

My mate borrowed one for a foreign trip and found a little hump off to the right where you wouldn't have naturally chosen in the swim, it turned the week around massively.

Generally I prefer to lead about with small leads to minimise disturbance, I always feel like I am decimating the swim with the marker, so I like the idea of the deeper overall.

When I started fishing, I used a homemade brass centre pin reel. Now I use a fixed spool which is a masterpiece of precision engineering constructed completely automatically using the latest robotic technology.

My first rod was handmade from a tank aerial and wooden handle turned on a lathe. Now I use a high tensile, featherweight, carbon fibre rod developed using the latest aircraft construction technology.

When I went night fishing I sat up all night in a deck chair with my finger on the line to feel for a bite. Now I lay on my comfortable folding bed chair wrapped in a four seasons sleeping bag in a waterproof and insect proof bivvy waiting for the receiver on my high tech bite alarm developed from research into the space program to tell me which pre programmed, colour coded,  tone was indicating a bite on which rod.

To measure depth, I used to use a plummet (lead with cork insert). Now I use an echo sounder, first patented in 1913 and now with the paper graph replaced by a screen and the results recorded on a microchip and everything miniaturised.

All of the above progress made my fishing easier and more comfortable. NONE of them put a fish on the hook.

As they say "nostalgia is not what it used to be"

Why do people confuse advances in comfort i.e bedchairs etc with advances in technology , one doesn't affect angling ability where as the other can .

In the UK we have people turning up on small waters i.e 2 acres using fish finders I know the argument goes as long as they are happy etc etc . But this will damage fishing long term IMO.

You may as well sit in a field and play a computer game . :)

Edited by oscsha

5 hours ago, carpepecheur said:

When I started fishing, I used a homemade brass centre pin reel. Now I use a fixed spool which is a masterpiece of precision engineering constructed completely automatically using the latest robotic technology.

My first rod was handmade from a tank aerial and wooden handle turned on a lathe. Now I use a high tensile, featherweight, carbon fibre rod developed using the latest aircraft construction technology.

When I went night fishing I sat up all night in a deck chair with my finger on the line to feel for a bite. Now I lay on my comfortable folding bed chair wrapped in a four seasons sleeping bag in a waterproof and insect proof bivvy waiting for the receiver on my high tech bite alarm developed from research into the space program to tell me which pre programmed, colour coded,  tone was indicating a bite on which rod.

To measure depth, I used to use a plummet (lead with cork insert). Now I use an echo sounder, first patented in 1913 and now with the paper graph replaced by a screen and the results recorded on a microchip and everything miniaturised.

All of the above progress made my fishing easier and more comfortable. NONE of them put a fish on the hook.

As they say "nostalgia is not what it used to be"

Not saying it is a deck chair, but I still often sit up holding the line, or even worse, resort to a bite alarm in the 'screech' of a centrepin.

I still use a plummet, or marker float and lead, I don't own a Go Pro or Deeper, and occasionally I still catch.

I prefer to 'feel' a water; some I get right, some badly wrong. Those that I get wrong tend to be waters where I am unable to see or understand the fish. I class Nazeing Meads Lagoons as waters where I got it wrong. On Brackens on the same venue I was lucky and got it right, but the lagoons I struggled a lot of the time. Not a bogey water but close to it. 

However, on most waters, I do use my electronic alarms, my space age carbon rods.

Rod technology has moved forward, from cane to tank aerials, to fibreglass to carbon fibre. Reel technology has moved forward, from top class engineering, bespoke on centre pins to our lovely geared 'spinning' reels.

Advances in technology has seen 1950/60's electronic bite alarms upgraded to resistors, capacitors, printed circuit boards.

You could equally in many cases still use a tobacco tin and coins balanced on the reel spool, but marketing has seen buzzers as an essential.

I do agree with both your view, but also with @oscsha; you do need to understand waters, especially the harder waters where carp may be line or rig shy.

Things can be done to make life easier, but those who have spent understanding the carp will surely do best no matter which viewpoint.

4 hours ago, oscsha said:

Why do people confuse advances in comfort i.e bedchairs etc with advances in technology , one doesn't affect angling ability where as the other can .

In the UK we have people turning up on small waters i.e 2 acres using fish finders I know the argument goes as long as they are happy etc etc . But this will damage fishing long term IMO.

You can play fishing computer games now as well lol

10 hours ago, oscsha said:

As an extreme example , if you sat up all night in a Deck Chair and had a bite wouldn't you be painfully slow to react because you were so stiff and aching ; a comfortable bedchair would hopefully have you ready to spring into action !  ? .

😁 

7 minutes ago, crusian said:

As an extreme example , if you sat up all night in a Deck Chair and had a bite wouldn't you be painfully slow to react because you were so stiff and aching ; a comfortable bedchair would hopefully have you ready to spring into action !  ? .

😁

But you are using modern technology to wake you up

surely you should be staying awake all night not listening for the alarm lol. 😉

Edited by framey

4 minutes ago, crusian said:

😁

Your alarms are so loud you wake up but are blinded by the bivvy light , you knock your bivvy table over and can't hit the run as you can no longer find your branded carpy hat and there is NO way your going to be seen playing a fish without looking proper carpy .

19 hours ago, oscsha said:

I think I must beg to differ Oscha. Technology does not affect angling ability. For example a Deeper cannot tell you whether a lump on a flat lake bed is a carp or a kitchen sink. Only your experience can tell you it is not likely to be a kitchen sink.

1 hour ago, carpepecheur said:

I think I must beg to differ Oscha. Technology does not affect angling ability. For example a Deeper cannot tell you whether a lump on a flat lake bed is a carp or a kitchen sink. Only your experience can tell you it is not likely to be a kitchen sink.

You would need to feel for a familiar tap with a lead to get conclusive proof 😁