Nash bivvy heater?

I took one to Redmire last year... it doesn't warm the bivvy up much but it takes the edge off the chill in really cold weather... I pitched my bivvy on snow and it was blinking taters the first couple of days, I'd like to think the Nash heater helped... it was a degree or two warmer when I retired to my bag at night

as with all naked flame heaters leave plenty of ventilation

Edited by bluelabel

20 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

I took one to Redmire last year... it doesn't warm the bivvy up much but it takes the edge off the chill in really cold weather... I pitched my bivvy on snow and it was blinking taters the first couple of days, I'd like to think the Nash heater helped... it was a degree or two warmer when I retired to my bag at night

as with all naked flame heaters leave plenty of ventilation

That's the thing I don't really want to use anything in the bivvy of I can I don't like using the stove in the bivvy or anything like that much prefer to do it all safely outdoors when I can but I think i could make something similar without the price tag, 

I was also looking at hot water bottles today £8 for a decent normal one £15 for a fishing one, I saw these extra long ones that look pretty interesting 😁

I definitely feel like I want to be more comfortable this winter though, sign of getting old I think, I've even considered putting the front on my brolly this weekend if it's going to be cold, 😁

Who ever comes up with a safe easy to use bivvy heater that works well will clean up, the best i have seen is a silent running generator and one of those electric light heater, even i'd go out in winter with a set up like that.

I would go for a gas bottle camping heater and be careful with how you vent it, candles are never going to make much of a difference. 

@Carpbell_ll they do take the edge off the cold and there's five or six candles in there too... the case gets very got and radiates....  get the 8 hour candles off Amazon (you may even be able to get 12hour candles)

A hot water bottle is a good idea.... stick it at the bottom of your bag to keep yer feet warm... better still take a couple... don't buy the ones with carp tax... save yer money (unless you really want a cammo one) just get any one...   they all do the same job...👍

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Who ever comes up with a safe easy to use bivvy heater that works well will clean up, the best i have seen is a silent running generator and one of those electric light heater, even i'd go out in winter with a set up like that.

I would go for a gas bottle camping heater and be careful with how you vent it, candles are never going to make much of a difference. 

Totally agree with that wouldn't it be good to know you have a cost effective safe and good bivvy heater, I think the heaters still need too much power for small batteries but one day someone will 

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

@Carpbell_ll they do take the edge off the cold and there's five or six candles in there too... the case gets very got and radiates....  get the 8 hour candles off Amazon (you may even be able to get 12hour candles)

A hot water bottle is a good idea.... stick it at the bottom of your bag to keep yer feet warm... better still take a couple... don't buy the ones with carp tax... save yer money (unless you really want a cammo one) just get any one...   they all do the same job...👍

I am OK For a camo water bottle the others look more snuggly anyway 😁 and you can get 2 for the price of one, that's one for each buttock 😂

I personally wouldn't use any flame based device in a bivvy, even if it is ventilated (which would probably let more cold in than the device would generate.) Carbon Monoxide isn't known as the silent killer for nothing. It creeps up on you and you don't really notice anything wrong at first and then you feel a bit groggy and sleepy and if you do fall asleep, it kills you as you sleep. This is because every breathe you take, more Carbon Monoxide is inhaled and it 'clings' onto your blood 400 times stronger than Oxygen and prevents the Oxygen that our bodies need for muscles to work from attaching onto the blood. Why do you think that the classic hosepipe from the exhaust into a car is a popular form of suicide? Catalytic convertors have made this a more long winded affair and it has fallen out of fashion a bit!

A far better solution is insulated layers starting with thermal underwear and finishing with a waterproof and breathable outer shell to repel water but allow sweat to pass through. Gloves, hats and scarves as well as hot water bottles are far more effective and safer at keeping cold at bay.

Decent winter clothes and sleeping bag is the answer to comfortable cold weather fishing. Your body generates heat and you just need to harness it correctly. Insulating clothes do that.

Candles and flower pots is just clutching at straws imo. If you're relying on candles to warm you up you are defo not wearing the right gear.

The biggest game changer for me was thermal salopettes. I use the Snugpak Sleeka salopettes but I'm sure there's loads of options out there. It's like walking round in a sleeping bag. Insulated stuff absorbs the body heat and stays warm (same as a sleeping bag) and removes the need for loads of layers which I never found to be that effective tbh.

13 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

I personally wouldn't use any flame based device in a bivvy, even if it is ventilated (which would probably let more cold in than the device would generate.) Carbon Monoxide isn't known as the silent killer for nothing. It creeps up on you and you don't really notice anything wrong at first and then you feel a bit groggy and sleepy and if you do fall asleep, it kills you as you sleep. This is because every breathe you take, more Carbon Monoxide is inhaled and it 'clings' onto your blood 400 times stronger than Oxygen and prevents the Oxygen that our bodies need for muscles to work from attaching onto the blood. Why do you think that the classic hosepipe from the exhaust into a car is a popular form of suicide? Catalytic convertors have made this a more long winded affair and it has fallen out of fashion a bit!

A far better solution is insulated layers starting with thermal underwear and finishing with a waterproof and breathable outer shell to repel water but allow sweat to pass through. Gloves, hats and scarves as well as hot water bottles are far more effective and safer at keeping cold at bay.

Good post thanks,

Ive got a big old fishrite winter suit with salopettes for my top layer which is like a sleeping bag and I've just been for a shop at mountain warehouse as they had a sale on got a set of baselayers and a fleece, I might just get a couple of hot water bottles and see how I get on while it's not freezing, my sleeping bag is OK it's an old jrc one with cover but that might need upgrading if I am not warm enough in the coming months 

I would rather not use a fire based heater if I can so hopefully this will be enough to keep warm 

Cheers all 

12 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

fishrite winter suit with salopettes

No good elmo. I used to have that stuff many years ago. It is poor, with a very thin micro fleece base. It will not keep you warm in winter. It's not possible for it to.

I am talking about quality thermal gear, different level to that stuff.

Fleece and micro-fleece is intended to prevent loss of heat from your body. It does a job but when the temp really gets down you wont stand a chance.

Proper insulating gear actually takes the heat in your body and holds it in the insulation. It effectively warms up and acts like a radiator. Ergo it's actually more effective with minimal clothing underneath which can prevent transfer of heat from body to insulation.

It's worth spending decent money on winter togs and bag. They are a complete game changer. It removes the need for hot water bottles which run out and set you shivering, and heaters which are dangerous.

Check out Snugpak for togs. It's not cheap but compared to other brands as effective it costs nothing.

3 hours ago, yonny said:

No good elmo. I used to have that stuff many years ago. It is poor, with a very thin micro fleece base. It will not keep you warm in winter. It's not possible for it to.

I am talking about quality thermal gear, different level to that stuff.

Fleece and micro-fleece is intended to prevent loss of heat from your body. It does a job but when the temp really gets down you wont stand a chance.

Proper insulating gear actually takes the heat in your body and holds it in the insulation. It effectively warms up and acts like a radiator. Ergo it's actually more effective with minimal clothing underneath which can prevent transfer of heat from body to insulation.

It's worth spending decent money on winter togs and bag. They are a complete game changer. It removes the need for hot water bottles which run out and set you shivering, and heaters which are dangerous.

Check out Snugpak for togs. It's not cheap but compared to other brands as effective it costs nothing.

Will have to see how they hold up for now, I always found them quite warm but if I get cold I will consider the upgrade, will just have to go with the layers and the hot water bottle and hope it's not too bad 😢

12 hours ago, yonny said:

Decent winter clothes and sleeping bag is the answer to comfortable cold weather fishing. Your body generates heat and you just need to harness it correctly. Insulating clothes do that.

Candles and flower pots is just clutching at straws imo. If you're relying on candles to warm you up you are defo not wearing the right gear.

The biggest game changer for me was thermal salopettes. I use the Snugpak Sleeka salopettes but I'm sure there's loads of options out there. It's like walking round in a sleeping bag. Insulated stuff absorbs the body heat and stays warm (same as a sleeping bag) and removes the need for loads of layers which I never found to be that effective tbh.

Yonny , what do you do when you want to stay warm and dry , as I thought Snugpak clothing wasn't waterproof ? .