Rods - am I missing a trick?

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

Great - and if you were used to a 12 - 13ft rod you'd probably find yourself being even more accurate 👍

I think that comes down to type of rod (quality , makeup etc) , if say the max casting ability of your set up is 90 mtrs then its never going to be accurate at casting 80 - 90 meters compared to a set up thats capable of casting 120 meters  .

Not sure I agree with a 12 or 13ft rod being more accurate I'd like to know your theory on this .

18 minutes ago, oscsha said:

I think that comes down to type of rod (quality , makeup etc) , if say the max casting ability of your set up is 90 mtrs then its never going to be accurate at casting 80 - 90 meters compared to a set up thats capable of casting 120 meters  .

Not sure I agree with a 12 or 13ft rod being more accurate I'd like to know your theory on this .

In my mind a bigger casting arc has more controlled direction, I cant explain further, seems obvious

1 minute ago, kevtaylor said:

In my mind a bigger casting arc has more controlled direction, I cant explain further, seems obvious

Have to agree to disagree , hell of a lot more going on for accurate casting than the casting arc though . A longer may not being compressed to form a larger arc depending on distance for one .

5 minutes ago, oscsha said:

Have to agree to disagree , hell of a lot more going on for accurate casting than the casting arc though . A longer may not being compressed to form a larger arc depending on distance for one .

That makes no sense, must be how you've written it.

What I can tell you is that the difference in accuracy from my old rods to new was noticeable from the very first cast, a quality rod in any length will make a difference as the rod snaps back into position quicker.

Give me a 9ft rod and a 12ft and I believe that I would be consistently more accurate with the longer one, probably only marginally granted.

Sorry meant longer rod (obvious) . Your talking more about the rod action rather than the length of rod .

So at what point does the longer rod stop becoming more accurate 13' 20' 

Once  your used to a rod I bet there is no difference between a 9ft and 12 ft at certain distances . 

The difference between your old and new rods in accuracy will be more to do with the action then length . imo. or are you saying a 14' would be more accurate still ? 

43 minutes ago, oscsha said:

Sorry meant longer rod (obvious) . Your talking more about the rod action rather than the length of rod .

So at what point does the longer rod stop becoming more accurate 13' 20' 

Once  your used to a rod I bet there is no difference between a 9ft and 12 ft at certain distances . 

The difference between your old and new rods in accuracy will be more to do with the action then length . imo. or are you saying a 14' would be more accurate still ? 

What I was really saying is that different rods have different attributes and will be better for some situations than others, and that going for shorter rods as an all rounders is a mistake IMO, that was my only real point.

On accuracy it's just an opinion  like yours is - I believe a 12ft will be more accurate than a shorter rod - certainly for me, or we could go for roach poles and drop the rig exactly where we want it - so yeah the longer the better if we're gonna get silly with it.

Taxi for Taylor he's done.............:lol:👍

1 minute ago, kevtaylor said:

What I was really saying is that different rods have different attributes and will be better for some situations than others, and that going for shorter rods as an all rounders is a mistake IMO, that was my only real point.

On accuracy it's just an opinion  like yours is - I believe a 12ft will be more accurate than a shorter rod - certainly for me, or we could go for roach poles and drop the rig exactly where we want it - so yeah the longer the better if we're gonna get silly with it.

Taxi for Taylor he's done.............:lol:👍

HaHa  , exactly different rods have different attributes ,couldn't agree more . 

I just didn't agree with your statement - 'Great - and if you were used to a 12 - 13ft rod you'd probably find yourself being even more accurate' 

over and out

its only fishing :) 

23 minutes ago, oscsha said:

HaHa  , exactly different rods have different attributes ,couldn't agree more . 

I just didn't agree with your statement - 'Great - and if you were used to a 12 - 13ft rod you'd probably find yourself being even more accurate' 

over and out

its only fishing :) 

Well that was aimed at someone in particular - I.e not you, just someone who argues the toss no matter what's said. 👍

1 minute ago, chillfactor said:

At distance longer rods will be far more accurate & there's No way a shorter rod will out perform a longer for distance.  Bigger the  arc the further your cast . 

How long does a 12ft rod become during the cast ?  

Totally agree as long as the rods are capable  , see my responses above .