Zig fishing

Machali

Due to the interest of this subject, I've attached a photo of my dry zig mix. Tesco Porridge Oats cost £2.05 for a 2 kg bag and the ground mix is in the ice cream tub. I mix it with some Mainline Zig Soup which at £13.99 for a 4 kg bag is used more sparingly! I got the grinder off the net a while back and think I paid about £25 for it but should pay for itself reasonably quickly.

Grinder.jpg

1 hour ago, Golden Paws said:

Due to the interest of this subject, I've attached a photo of my dry zig mix. Tesco Porridge Oats cost £2.05 for a 2 kg bag and the ground mix is in the ice cream tub. I mix it with some Mainline Zig Soup which at £13.99 for a 4 kg bag is used more sparingly! I got the grinder off the net a while back and think I paid about £25 for it but should pay for itself reasonably quickly.

Grinder.jpg

Thanks! I'll keep it for future my attempts with zigs :)

You use it to create a "cloud" of food around the zig right?

Edited by Machali

17 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

Zig foam..... white on top.... dark on bottom....... just as deadly,they can’t help themselves 😉😬😎🎣

Agree stevo .... black & white is the go to . But that day couldn't get a take so played about with different combos,  that little slice of orange did the trick that day , so definitely worth keeping busy & making things happen for anyone just getting into zigs .

20180516_173221.thumb.jpg.86c608ae85494672f5baff89b1539d50.jpg

1 hour ago, commonly said:

Do you use a zig aligner yonny? 

I have used them but found they're no more effective than a standard piece of foam on a hair.

I normally tie a bog standard hair rig of 7 turns with a tiny piece of shrink tube over the eye to hold the gape open mate. Little piece of black foam maybe 10 mm in size. Dead easy.

12 minutes ago, commonly said:

Size 6?

So you just side hook the foam? 

I found aligners split and didn't seem to sit so well, similarly bands. 

I’m the same as Yonny....... tie hair,put foam on put a tiny piece of silicone on thread hook on and thru the silicone have zig tight to the top of the hook and held in place with silicone whip hook on (seven is my lucky number) tiny bit of shrink tube over the eye anti tangle sleeve then tie to swivel........ always done ok for me and by squeezing the foam you can change colours quite easily if one isn’t working 

16 minutes ago, Machali said:

Thanks you all mates!

Now i have some ideas to work with zigs, ready for my first attempt next week :) Unfortunately i can't find a place in Portugal to buy zig foam. I'll have to buy it from Amazon. 

Fluorocarbon is a good choice to use as hooklink?  

I would avoid fluorocarbon as a hooklink because it sinks more and faster than mono, most definitely heavier than water.

I would actually use a surface or neutral fishing monofilament like Drennan Double Strength, Drennan Fly Leader.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I would avoid fluorocarbon as a hooklink because it sinks more and faster than mono, most definitely heavier than water.

I would actually use a surface or neutral fishing monofilament like Drennan Double Strength, Drennan Fly Leader.

I thought on fluorocarbon because is "invisible" under water, but it's a sinking line, and i don't want to use zigs in the place of boilies :P Thanks for your help!

I'll do a simple set-up for it.

Running lead (between two bead stops) ->  swivel -> an anti-tangle sleeve ->  hooklink -> size 6 wide-gape hook -> bit of foam.

Anything more?

Got that in 10lb, very strong and thin diameter. 

I'm gutted! got to the lake someone in my usual spot. Went in another spot, fish cruising, 10-11ft deep!! I was expecting the usual 4-5 ft. No zig float, tried long lengths very awkward due to overhangs and lilies, so I'm experimenting with a pike float!! 🤣 

🤞I'll have a pic or two to post when I get back Sunday. 

7 hours ago, Machali said:

Thanks you all mates!

Now i have some ideas to work with zigs, ready for my first attempt next week :) Unfortunately i can't find a place in Portugal to buy zig foam. I'll have to buy it from Amazon. 

Fluorocarbon is a good choice to use as hooklink?  

Should be plenty of foam you can use in Portugal. Just think of all those flip flops in the beach shops!!!! 

3 hours ago, commonly said:

Got that in 10lb, very strong and thin diameter. 

I'm gutted! got to the lake someone in my usual spot. Went in another spot, fish cruising, 10-11ft deep!! I was expecting the usual 4-5 ft. No zig float, tried long lengths very awkward due to overhangs and lilies, so I'm experimenting with a pike float!! 🤣 

🤞I'll have a pic or two to post when I get back Sunday. 

Waiting for those photos :D

7 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

Should be plenty of foam you can use in Portugal. Just think of all those flip flops in the beach shops!!!! 

Is the same material? Awesome, i may have 20 stores in my city selling flip flops