How easy? What risk?

salokcinnodrog

I've had things going through my head today, and I mentioned 'lifesaver' in my facebook capture post, but that doesn't really cover all.

I had just netted a double figure carp for my mate. As he got up to come round for pictures, he slipped or fell like poleaxed straight into the lake. The lake owner and I jumped in to get him out as he surfaced. 
My mate is a man mountain, 22stone, so we dragged Dave to the bank. At some point he must have breathed in some water, so while trying to get him into recovery, still in the water up to our thighs, I had to give him cpr, which the position we were in, the only option was to thump him in the chest, once, as hard as I could. He then started fitting and snorting while breathing.
Somehow while this was going on I managed call emergency services, who stayed on the line until help arrived. It took 5 of us to get Dave onto the bank.

Thank you to the paramedics, especially Zoe, first there who jumped in herself to help, to the fire brigade, and the other two anglers.

The last I saw of Dave was being taken away in an ambulance.
Please get well soon Mate, I hope you recover fully.

As an add, somewhere in that lot, I did also manage to tip the fish back alive, quite possibly as I was getting out of the water after getting Dave out.

As an addition to this, please don't think I am angling for praise. I did what anyone else would have done. I didn't think, I did it, my Mate.
The important parts of my post were how easy it is for an accident to happen, a slip or trip, and it could be curtains.

The second part is Thank you to all of the emergency services personnel who helped when needed. I have no idea how long it took for them to arrive, but it was quick, at an out of the way address.
Thank you to the ambulance operator on the end of the phone line, who could hear everything going on, and gave advice and help when needed.

Firstly well done. You stepped up and believe me not everybody would. I hope your mate makes a speedy and full recovery. Hopefully it’ll be one of those story’s you both can joke about in years to come.

what I would say is look after yourself. Things like this can have a huge effect on you. You’ll be in a form of shock even if you feel fine. Once again we’ll done you. Respect due.

Dave's Mum and Dad phoned me last night from the hospital, he was awake but groggy and confused.
From landing the fish to waking up surrounded by emergency services he has no recollection. 
I'm thinking it was a hot day, he was on his box, and despite drinking plenty to keep cool getting up to weigh a fish had heatstroke or a head rush and went over.

This morning Dave himself phoned me, he is being kept in today, still bringing up water every now and again. Must have swallowed a lake full.

The thanks I needed was hearing his voice, but I did tell him he is buying me a pint😉

15 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm just tired. Had the thought spinning through my head 'did I do everything right?'

It's a tough situation nick sounds like you did all you could in the moment and that is all you can do really, right or wrong you still saved his life and that's what's important 

You saved your mates life so I think you deserve all the praise you've been getting and all well deserved. If you'd not been there it could of been a different story. Well done nick. I hope you're mate is well on the way to recovery and you'll both be out fishing together very soon. 

Edited by finchey

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Lucky lucky man. Hope he made the teas all day!

😆

I'm the owner of the Bialetti coffee maker and stove😉

No-one but me uses my stove.

He did get me a present😉

When Andy and Dave stayed over we did go through 5 bottles of red wine, 6 250gram steaks and the trimmings for dinner as well

image.jpeg