Preferred and average session lenght

Tree123

For a bit of discussion  whats  your fav  or normal session lenght? 

For me used to do 3-4 every couple of months or so 

But now  I'd much rather  just get out for a night  or 24 hours  as means i can get out a lot more and it less to get organised  for and a lot less stuff to take

Got a  day only section of a water to try next season so looking forward to a prebaiting  and  fishing for few hours   in a morning or evening style of fishing

I loved doing a weekend trip. Take my time, relax, power nap during the day. Then children came along. Weekends are now a never ending stream of sports clubs, swimming and entertaining. I wouldn’t change it for the world! But I had to alter my fishing to suit. I do a mid week over night and maybe 1 or 2 36 hour trips. Keeps the kids happy, the wife enjoys the peace on a Wednesday and because I put more thought and care into that short session my catch rates have improved.

when the kids are older and less dependent on me I’d love a trip to France. A week of fishing must be blooming lovely!

1 hour ago, dayvid said:

Longer the better if I could , but mainly Fri eve till sun morn most weekends summer/ winter

46 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I loved doing a weekend trip. Take my time, relax, power nap during the day. Then children came along. Weekends are now a never ending stream of sports clubs, swimming and entertaining. I wouldn’t change it for the world! But I had to alter my fishing to suit. I do a mid week over night and maybe 1 or 2 36 hour trips. Keeps the kids happy, the wife enjoys the peace on a Wednesday and because I put more thought and care into that short session my catch rates have improved.

when the kids are older and less dependent on me I’d love a trip to France. A week of fishing must be blooming lovely!

Personally  I couldn't do a week.   But i guess it's a diffenrt style of fishing..

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Can not fault any of this....

when the kid id older and less dependent on me ... a trip to France. A week of fishing must be blooming lovely!

Only 1 kid me...

I try and do a week long foreign trip every two years.

Sometimes a week just doesn't seem long enough.

I reckon I could do a month easy .

The last couple of years though I've been doing a lot more short sessions , 4-12 hours mostly instead of the the 48 hour sessions i used to do.

I think I up my game on shorter sessions and to be honest my catch rates compared to hours have probably improved because of it.

8 hours ago, muftyboy said:

I think I up my game on shorter sessions and to be honest my catch rates compared to hours have probably improved because of it.

Part of why i much prefer short  sessions. Makes you go out and hunt then rather then bait and wait. 

Oli David's carp cast  spoke about this and it was quite an interesting lists. 

I was a weekend angler so average sesh was 2 nights but I'd book Fridays off to make it 3 when I felt like I was close to a target. I'd fish 1 of every 3 weekends or similarly 1 every 2 weekends when I felt close. I'd also do work overnighters on Thursdays in between session just to keep in touch with the water.

Going forward with the little'n on the way I'll happily take whatever session I can get regardless of length!

2 hours ago, Tree123 said:

Part of why i much prefer short  sessions. Makes you go out and hunt then rather then bait and wait. 

Oli David's carp cast  spoke about this and it was quite an interesting lists. 

While I agree, there are some carp that will not move over bait until it is 'safe'. 

I have watched fish, on lakes and on a river, leave baits alone until they had been in the water for 2 days, this included 'washed out' boilies.

On the river sweetcorn would not get touched by carp until it had turned dirty, normally 2 days. I have also seen carp leave baited rigs alone for that period of time, other anglers have also written about it.

I caught a couple of rarely caught carp from Nazeing by leaving my hookbaits in place for 2 days until I had a take. The left hand rod I recast and checked every day, and had three or four carp to 20lb, but the right hand rod produced just one take from a 30lb carp.

Yes, I agree, sometimes you do have to go searching, but disturbance can spook fish as well.

the bulk of my fishing is day sessions but each year, im doing more and more longer sessions, which i much prefer. 

At the moment, my preferred length is 24-36 hour sessions, usually arrive the morning off and fishing till the following evening. I have done a couple 48hrs but i just dont get enough time to do them but this year, its looking like that'll change so should get a couple more in.

I've also got a social coming up this year, that a friend is ornasing between about 6 of us, i think it'll be 3 nights, 4 days. Will be my longest session but i cant wait!

Day sessions for me nowadays... was a time that a week wasn't long enough... last long session I did was last March... a week on Redmire... damn near killed me... my back isn't up to a long night in a bedchair (collapsed discs) these days and at 60 years old my knee's (osteo arthritis) are not up to lugging loads of gear for a long session, so about 8-10 hours sees me totally  cream crackered and laid up for a day or to to recover... god help me if I do a club match, the amount of gear you need for that is making me seriously question my sanity and that's only for 5 hours😲