Shelf life boilies

finchey

Guest Dez Animaux
2 minutes ago, cyborx said:

well well, NOW who is running down baits that he knows naff all about?

solar knock off? your showing your ignorance there buddy, the same team are making cherry's baits as were when they were 'partnered' with solar, the break up was all about the mark up that solar wanted to add and that you can take to the bank, i did quite an in depth look as to the why's and whatfor's for over 12 months before taking a leap of faith.

as to the second bit of your statement, and "quoting out of context", i have made precisely two posts (not counting this one) and in neither one did i mention "getting heated", dont start out playing by your own rulebook cos "here be dragons" as they say :wink:

i know your not CM cos your not in the same league but i would lay bets on you being a reincarnation of 'the carphauler' though. :lol::lol:

Yeah whatever mate

Good luck with the fieldtesting/being a partner in it

Nice plug

Not in to newcomers

Sorry, no hard feelings

And thanks for not reading my stuff/comparing me to members anyway/not making any sense

lol

Guest Dez Animaux

Shelf life boilies are things to be avoided, apart from a bag knocking about in case you run out of excellent air dried frozen foodbait from a big reputable company..

Many people will try and tell you what to do and how to do it in life, but if you dig about in a succint manner in the game in hand, i.e carp fishing, those ''many'' will be narrowed down to a few originals.

Ignore the pretenders and copycats and use, if in doubt, reputable and legendary bait, which is just about the ONLY bait that is honest enough to say: ''no shelf life version''

Go from there, make your own if you want, but respect Chilly, Lane etc. for they do not muck about.

Carp fishing is a big circle, you start simple, you try complicated, you end up liking simple again..

Trust me, pick your favourites, pick simple, or you will NOT enjoy it.. 

The tackle shop will sort you out with the going bait, put it in the right place, be patient, and be a legend..

Don't get drawn in by knockers and fools, they just talk a good game and have a need for negativity as they are not real anglers and are scared of the dark and cold.

Edited by Dez Animaux

On 17/09/2018 at 11:22, finchey said:

I've been using the nash instant action candy nut crush and coconut cream shelf life and they seem to be quite a hard bait is this normal for shelf life boilies? and is there anything I can do to soften them up?

If I can't soften these boilie's up a bit can anyone recommend a softer shelf life. 

It's just that these seem quite hard as a hook bait and I feel when you get a pick up they must feel hard to the carp. Surely a softer bait is more attractive to a carp and softer boilie's must be easier to digest. 

Sorry if this is a stupid question 😀

Back to the original post, ccmoores live system shelf life boilies are quite soft or you have the option of heat treating what ever boilie you want with hot water. Poor on hot lake water an hour or so before to really soften baits up. If your paranoid about losing any attractions mix in a dollop of matching liquid.

Edited by Gazlaaar

16 minutes ago, Dez Animaux said:

Yes anyway let's all keep out heads up somebody rather than creating our own opinions and being entertaining within ourselves

And let's also keep vested interests in nasty little knock off, shelf life only bait companies

Pretty sure cherry carp do frozen baits nowadays? 

Cyborx isn’t plugging them at all. Seems like you’re the one turning on anyone who has a different opinion than you. There was a member like you a while ago that was 300x worse tbh, don’t end up like him and his mates who joined to screenshot evidence of slander 😂😂

probably just tidy this thread up now mods and lock it off. It’s run it’s course 

6 minutes ago, Dez Animaux said:

YAWN, heard it all before and no apology will be forthcoming.. in fact, shove off!!! If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen..

You say the thread has ''run it's course''

if so I say that shelf life bait is dog waste.

Dry decent frozen bait (dusty old duvert cover, NOT freshly washed and covered in soap smells, take time to seperate them individually, three hours is plenty), and then glug it, seal it in a clean snaplock tupperware, and trust me it will keep for SIX months, at LEAST

In fact it gets better and better and better that way...

G'NIGHT x

A Tupperware for each boilie?

If not then I don’t think they do Tupperware’s big enough for more than half a kilo of 15millers? Do buckets work?

ive heard loads about drying and curing, etc for storage of freezer baits. Personally I want to be using them as fresh as possible, especially fishmeals. Yeasty, cereal baits always benefit from 2-4 days unfrozen with some glug to activate them. That’s what I’ve found anyway.   

Go from there, make your own if you want, but respect Chilly, Lane etc. for they do not muck about.

Clearly haven't read Flick of the Tale, Dave actually says he doesn't know much about the make up of bait prefers to let someone else do that side for him as he is usually focused on other parts of his fishing.  Chilly has stated that once he's out of the sponsored game he is going to write a book about all the behind the scenes stuff that goes on in the fishing industry.  Both are great anglers though :)

Guest Dez Animaux
10 minutes ago, greekskii said:

A Tupperware for each boilie?

If not then I don’t think they do Tupperware’s big enough for more than half a kilo of 15millers? Do buckets work?

ive heard loads about drying and curing, etc for storage of freezer baits. Personally I want to be using them as fresh as possible, especially fishmeals. Yeasty, cereal baits always benefit from 2-4 days unfrozen with some glug to activate them. That’s what I’ve found anyway.   

What?

Mate you can get a kilo of boilies in a 1.9 litre tupperware, kind of a medium/small sized one

a 2.4 will hold 1.5-1.7

Bait buckets are for French trips only

Have my eyes gone funny.

Nobody will ever come close to  BB and Rod..

Bait is BORING

Fishing is NOT about bait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've just said 1 of your fav writers is Rod (as is mine he was way ahead of his time) who's primary writings were about Bait and its application.  I actually quite like Dave's writing style but thats down to personal choice.

Guest Dez Animaux

Dave's book was as interesting as watching grass grow on a winter lawn, with the writing capability of a juvenile clothes moth

Edited by Dez Animaux

Guest Dez Animaux

Sorry but I'm not into ''look at how wonderful I am fishing bigshot ultra exclusive waters and catching all the best biggies in the Country, just cos I'm so great, sorry no technical info will be provided, as I'm far too exclusive and fabulous, just read my rushed catch list and bow down before me''

I said he ''didn't muck about'' and knew how to keep things simple and stick to a decent bait, but I never said I liked the guy

If you want a hero modern carp angler, his name is Ian Chilcott

THAT guy is a proper legend mate, gives EVERY detail of how he does it, cuts no corners, best role model ever

(Ps also, GOD FORBID, uses Mainline.... How AWFULLY common of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Edited by Dez Animaux

30 minutes ago, Dez Animaux said:

What?

Mate you can get a kilo of boilies in a 1.9 litre tupperware, kind of a medium/small sized one

a 2.4 will hold 1.5-1.7

Bait buckets are for French trips only

I Take a minimum of 2kg with me at a time though. And use 10kg+ a month. Hence keeping them frozen is easier. Tbh preserved baits would be easier still but you can’t preserve some fish and meat meals properly for very long at all. I glug them in a high salt content liquid. Gives them a week or so life even through summer. 

Due to less time on the bank & not having freezer space, I thought I'd try the krill shelf life at the start of the year, kak. 

Just tried scoped squid, which only comes in shelf life although Nash call it stabilised? What is that all about? Sticking with it for a while. 

Good mate of mine always catches with shelf life banoffee. If that's not available he will go real old school and use tutti frutti, which I'm sure are shelf life. 

Just now, commonly said:

Due to less time on the bank & not having freezer space, I thought I'd try the krill shelf life at the start of the year, kak. 

Just tried scoped squid, which only comes in shelf life although Nash call it stabilised? What is that all about? Sticking with it for a while. 

Good mate of mine always catches with shelf life banoffee. If that's not available he will go real old school and use tutti frutti, which I'm sure are shelf life. 

Scopex squid is available in freezer form. Stabilised is a way to ‘shelf life’ a bait. 

So new topic on stabilised boilies maybe?

The cultured ones are stabilised,

er shelf life,

er they're round n smell good car

1 hour ago, nigewoodcock said:

Scopex squid is available in freezer form

Is that from a different supplier? 

Ive heard sandhurst baits will make up a specific recipe, if you know the ingredients. £8 a k, not too sure about that, the Nash ones are £9a k. 

1 minute ago, commonly said:

So new topic on stabilised boilies maybe?

The cultured ones are stabilised,

er shelf life,

er they're round n smell good car

Is that from a different supplier? 

Ive heard sandhurst baits will make up a specific recipe, if you know the ingredients. £8 a k, not too sure about that, the Nash ones are £9a k. 

Nash scopex squid is available in freezer bait.

And the Nash scopex squid is £39.99 for a 5kg bag 

10 hours ago, Dez Animaux said:

Ignore the pretenders and copycats and use, if in doubt, reputable and legendary bait, which is just about the ONLY bait that is honest enough to say: ''no shelf life version''

So you use mainline, sticky, etc. Frozen baits as you said before. All those baits are available in shelflife version and it’s claimed they are EXACTLY the same apart from preservatives. 

Do you actually fish or are you a pretender? Bit hard to miss the bags of shelflife baits of those brands on the shelves 😂😂

anyway, I know where my bait comes from and I trust it much more than any big brand bait, all of which I’ve seen, tasted, felt and fished with. I know what goes in it and I know it’s HNV and palatable and has a track record from some high profile and tricky waters. Oh and btw. It’s made in a garage on the side of his house. 

On 18 October 2018 at 22:07, Dez Animaux said:

You don't know what's in it, mate

Nobody does apart from Mainline management, I doubt even the floor staff know

It's easy to be negative about big brand readymades but at the end of the day, does a boilie really have to be that complicated and all singing all dancing to be effective, good for the fish plus nutritional (which I believe Cell has been proven to be), and completely accepted by the carp as good nosh on a regular basis?

Firstly, the ingredients are quoted on the packaging, and floor staff will know, they have to mix it, or throw it into the cement mixer.😉😅

Cell is not that high in nutrition, an active feeding trigger, and I can think of many better baits that will work longer term.

In fact I would rather go with a bag of Crafty Catcher King Prawn or Sea Salt and Crab ready mades than any Cell.

Yes, it is easy to be negative about big brand ready mades, mostly moaning about the price at £11.99 a kilo, or some of us knowing about company ethics, and trying to avoid them.

Right, I have cleaned and edited this thread up. Last night after working 53 hours in 4 days I was tired, so I hit the red button. I was fed up by abusive pm's after telling someone to cool down🙄

I may calm down and rescind it later if I can get back into a good mod.

If a member is banned, their posts disappear, they are hidden. Mods can still read them, but not ordinary members. It is also possible for posts to be hidden if a member has their posts needing to be moderated for approval before posting.

16 hours ago, hutch said:

You've just said 1 of your fav writers is Rod (as is mine he was way ahead of his time) who's primary writings were about Bait and its application. 

He didn't ''primarily'' write about just bait, only somebody who hasn't read his books could suggest that

7 hours ago, greekskii said:

So you use mainline, sticky, etc. Frozen baits as you said before. All those baits are available in shelflife version and it’s claimed they are EXACTLY the same apart from preservatives. 

Do you actually fish or are you a pretender? Bit hard to miss the bags of shelflife baits of those brands on the shelves 😂😂

anyway, I know where my bait comes from and I trust it much more than any big brand bait, all of which I’ve seen, tasted, felt and fished with. I know what goes in it and I know it’s HNV and palatable and has a track record from some high profile and tricky waters. Oh and btw. It’s made in a garage on the side of his house. 

7 hours ago, greekskii said:

NONE of the Mainline foodbaits, either Cell, Hybrid, Essential Cell, New Grange, or Link are available in shelf life

And my experience of many Ted in a Shed companies is that they talk a good game whilst producing a product that doesn't cut the mustard whatsoever

On 17 October 2018 at 22:49, oscsha said:

the food industry use some dangerous chemicals in processed foods  that the food agency allow us to eat .

Last I heard is that they are NOT any ruler of mine, and you don't HAVE to eat processed foods

Go to a farm shop mate and look into organics, consumer choice is still up to us, thank God, and not some govt agents

On 19 October 2018 at 19:41, hutch said:

Parma Ham is no longer available Campbells discontinued it :( 

That's the funniest thing I have ever read in my entire life

An entire region of Italy, an entire specific breed of pig, one of the finest, timeless delicacies on the planet, and a legally protected brand name is ''owned'' by a food multinational is it?

😂😂

I'm only pulling your leg, Hutch

But seriously if you want Parma ham flavour, I would suggest that it shouldn't be too hard to source!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

I'm only pulling your leg, Hutch

But seriously if you want Parma ham flavour, I would suggest that it shouldn't be too hard to source!!!!!!!

Sorry to quote myself, I do have some friends, lol

But making a flavour out of a common everyday delicacy to be found in any big supermarket can't be that hard can it?

Don't you just sort of make a stock out of it and reduce it in a solvent base or something??

Anyway back on topic, I read through the debate on here, which was quite interesting

People always knock success, that's part of human nature. They think they can do better but aren't prepared to prove it or do anything about it.

I tried all manner of baits over the years, I was constantly trying to get ''one up'' on both the crowd on the lake and the fish within it, but now I just fish simply and as stealthily as possible with a little bit of whatever frozen boilie takes my fancy.

I like Dynamite baits and agree with the people saying that low egg makes it more digestible, flavour release, breakdown time.

On crowded lakes breakdown time is very important, and that is the big issue with shelf life.

Shelf life is just for spare bait if you're having a hit, most experienced anglers know how much frozen they want to dry out and bring with them on a regular session.