Gotta be worth a watch for a laugh......

B.C.

There's a guy on Dragons Den tonight, trying to find investors for his carp bait company...… Might be interesting to see how he pitches himself, and what he can offer , that you can't do for yourself...…….. Shows the price hike imo, on some commercial baits... Enough to pay off investors and still make money..... Be interesting to hear what figures he spouts and what sort of reception he gets from the Dragons...…….

44 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Going to go set it to record in case I miss it. This will be interesting. Is it a start up or will we see a known face? 

Not sure mate, someone posted it on a group I follow...…. I'm just interested, as the Dragons will normally grill them for figures.. Mark up etc...…. Be interesting to see what they claim their costings are, might throw a spanner at some of the big name bait companies.... Or, could be a complete wally...… We shall see...🙂

Tel drew a blank, maybe the dragons saw the video on the Urban site, with Terry and Jim?  When explaining about good bait, Tel says that once his bait is in the carp’s “stomach” they feel good and know it’s good! 😂😂😂

Shouldn’t a bait expert know that carp don’t have stomachs? 🤣🤣

His bait is made by Geoff bowers, maybe he wants to go the whole hog and do the lot himself.  Must cost a fair few quid to get firstly the premises  and then all the machinery etc to make the bait. Hobart mixers, the extruders,  the heat sealer for the bags, the sign written bags, pots for this and that, ingredients etc etc etc. The list is endless. 

So , now we know that they are trying to raise funds to grow the company...…….. Wonder where that will start coming from...…… Probably a new bait, made out of sh1te  and marketed as the next best thing......

He's got balls for going on there, but a big gamble imo…….. Looks like, imo, that they are desperate for cash in order to grow. If an investor can't be found to help them grow, then the only place that the money will come from is the punters pockets,

4 minutes ago, emmcee said:

His bait is made by Geoff bowers,

Not anymore apparently...……..

23 minutes ago, The Compleat Angler said:

I thought it was the recipes that came from Geoff Bowers? 

Geoff is the brains behind god knows how many baits  that are out there, all under different names, urban bait,  perfection groundbait and so on. His lot roll most of it as well as his own abs  ( activ bait solutions ). I don't know for sure but I think urban baits nutcracker is the same mix as perfection groundbaits chocolate orange albeit different flavours. Chances are any fishmeal baits he does for these companies will be based on  his original " aminos" with or without Robin red etc with the odd tweak here and there.  I dread to think how much fishmeal that man uses/ sells in a week, it will be in the 10's of tonnes if not more. 

22 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Geoff is the brains behind god knows how many baits  that are out there, all under different names, urban bait,  perfection groundbait and so on. His lot roll most of it as well as his own abs  ( activ bait solutions ). I don't know for sure but I think urban baits nutcracker is the same mix as perfection groundbaits chocolate orange albeit different flavours. Chances are any fishmeal baits he does for these companies will be based on  his original " aminos" with or without Robin red etc with the odd tweak here and there.  I dread to think how much fishmeal that man uses/ sells in a week, it will be in the 10's of tonnes if not more. 

Yes mate, Geoff’s pedigree is very impressive to say the least. There are plenty of good baits, and bait makers out there now, and the bar is set quite high, maybe too high for some? With respect to Terry, there have been better baits and companies than Urban that have failed or folded. So I do wish him luck.

Didn't go well from the start thanks to the first Dragon calling out the ethics of catch and release, think that would of put the others off too, i'm sure the guy will have plenty of private investors willing to help him become a big manufacture across Europe. surprised by the small profits he has been making so far. Notice the sales drop on the previous year that coincides with when Jim Shelly left, be interesting to see if the is an increase since he went back. 

I understand they're all Terry's own recipes and although Geoff B used to roll them for him that finished some time ago.

I found it interesting that despite the mark-up (gross profit was sizeable) the net was poor. Just shows that people might not be getting ripped off as much we sometimes suspect. Business is business at the end of the day.

i didnt watch the programme but currently use the bait. And i have to say, Whilst the bait is good (because i catch with it) a lot could be improved! I have brought the odd bag where 50% of the boilies have not been round which is a pain if your planning on fishing using a boilie stick. I have also contacted there customer service a few times but never had a reply! I keep using them because once or twice a year i notice shops do a sale and knock out the 5kg for £30 rather then £38 which is a bargin and im all up for that.

I would imagine, from what I’ve been told there are quite a few cash deals done with his bait, so the figures stated on the program, are only what atually goes through the books?

If the bait is doing as well as he claims, the growth should be a natural progression, and should sustain and grow as a result of the demand, unless he’s not doing the sums properly? A few of the top boys started out making a bit of bait, and then selling to mates etc, then word gets out, and things expand, sometimes beyond their dreams. Successful business relies on a good product, and good sales, word of mouth, hard graft and a slice of good luck. Who remembers Danny Fairbrass selling a few leads out the back of a van back in the day? Hasn’t done bad has he? 😉

20 hours ago, yonny said:

I understand they're all Terry's own recipes and although Geoff B used to roll them for him that finished some time ago.

I found it interesting that despite the mark-up (gross profit was sizeable) the net was poor. Just shows that people might not be getting ripped off as much we sometimes suspect. Business is business at the end of the day.

Net profit will be after Tels salary has been taken out.

Running your own business takes up all your energy and 99% of your time. No matter what trade...…. In most cases it affects everything else in your life, family time, your own time and especially hobby time...…. At some point , you have to make a decision as to whether it's worth it, you can't have your cake and eat it...…… He's probably kicking himself for not starting up his bait business 10 or 15 years ago, a younger man with more energy ……. Having said that, one thing he has managed to achieve, in a relatively short space of time, is a well known brand, and probably, also, learned a great deal about the bait trade. So he's in a much better place than when he started...… 

Lots of bait companies come and go over the years..... Do we need more big hitters in the bait industry? Can the market accommodate them?

Shimano are set to launch their bait range soon and they have some serious marketing power, so they will be taking a slice of the pie.....

When supply out weighs demand, there is usually a price drop somewhere along the line (we shall see)….. Trouble with a price drop on bait is that the quality is immediately scrutinised.....

I'm not a big fan of bait companies in general, I can't help thinking that corners are cut to aid profits...…. 

There aren't that many bait secrets and the info out there to roll a decent bait is readily available to anyone wishing to roll their own bait, as is the equipment to make life easier, compared to ten years ago. I've noticed an up turn in home made bait rollers...… Small groups of lads clubbing together...… Yes, there is time and effort involved, but that can be said about fishing in general.

So, perhaps supplying base mix ingredients is something Tel could do as a side line. It would bring the cost of his own down, by buying in larger bulk. 

There is an interesting statement on ABS Face Book page...… Active Bait Solutions...….. Regarding GK's previous business relationship with TD and Urban Baits..... Can't copy and paste it..... Basically stating that one party wanted to cut corners on bait ingredients, whilst the other did not...…. A good example of stealing a recipe, re-naming it and chopping it with cr8p or leaving out a couple of the expensive ingredients...… This comes straight from the horses mouth and does not surprise me at all...….