Could somebody please enlighten me????

smufter

On 25 August 2018 at 03:58, smufter said:

What is the difference between a "German" rig and a "Ronnie" rig????

😲😲

I honestly think that it is rig names being changed as developments happen. I read Carpology's Guide to Rig Evolution, and the German rig has been changed and faffed with, so it actually bears little resemblance to the original rig.

As for The Ronnie rig, I have tied a number up straight to the loop end of the swivel, no ring on it. It made no difference to me catching on it. 

I do fish it as a combi-rig, braid to the swivel, and then a fluorocarbon or Amnesia book section. It is often my 'whack it out' or pub chuck rod, although I do use a D-rig as well, fished in the same manner. 

The first fish I caught on it was a 32lb mirror from a difficult water on a homemade Garlic spice pop-up.

Since then I have played around on a runs water with both versions, the ring swivel clip and plain swivel clip, and found the plain swivel clip actually worked best for me.

I play with the height on the hook section on the D-rig more dependant on weed growth If I am in a weedy swim, compared to a more gravel or clay lakebed area.

I'm working today but didn't have to start until 10am so had a bit of a play around early doors and made up a few of each (German and Ronnie). Both very easy and quick to make up.
Tried them out with their respective baits in the kitchen sink and they all performed as they should.
I don't very often fish pop ups so only tied a few of the Ronnies, but I do like using wafters/bottom baits so the Germans will get a work out on Tuesday.
I used a swivelled bait screw instead of the small swivel recommended on the Gardner website as it's much easier to screw a bait onto one of those than faff around blobbing floss. Used a good quality coated hooklength and left the coating intact to aid presentation. 
Let's see how they perform on Tuesday

😎

Edited by smufter

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/08/2018 at 19:47, greekskii said:

Someone tell me the difference between the Ronnie, the spinner and the new Nash gyro rig. 

Whose wallet your money ends up in.

on a serious note, first heard of the Ronnie rig, which was popularised by Lewis reed of Gardner, promoting the Mugga hook, quick link swivel, rig tube and putty.

From what I read somewhere, I think the term Ronnie Rig was trademarked - could have been rubbish I’d read or someone having a laugh, I don’t know - but ever since then I saw the spinner rig that was popularised by Korda. They even released special swivels for the spinner rig. That’s no joke, the quick link is just bent out a little.

gyro rig is nashs flavour but you buy the hooks with the swivel attached, just have to add shrink tube if desired. Packs of five from what I’ve seen.

personally, I think you’d have around 75% functionality with a basic multi rig and less messing around. Less cost if you get snagged up.

just out of interest, has anyone caught on a Ronnie/spinner/gyro rig? Where has hook placement been.

9 hours ago, Brutus said:

just out of interest, has anyone caught on a Ronnie/spinner/gyro rig? Where has hook placement been.

I've moved over to the Ronnie this year after the weed died down on my syndi and I lost a couple on my trusted hinge rigs. Hook holds have been excellent - right in the middle of the bottom lip. The rig works better with bigger hooks I've found - more consistent hooking. Smaller hooks tend to catch in the scissors and I even had one hooked in the top lip. Bigger hooks (4's and 2's) stopped that.

I thought the rig Ronnie was just another fad tbh but it's currently doing the business for me, big time.

29 minutes ago, yonny said:

I've moved over to the Ronnie this year after the weed died down on my syndi and I lost a couple on my trusted hinge rigs. Hook holds have been excellent - right in the middle of the bottom lip. The rig works better with bigger hooks I've found - more consistent hooking. Smaller hooks tend to catch in the scissors and I even had one hooked in the top lip. Bigger hooks (4's and 2's) stopped that.

I thought the rig Ronnie was just another fad tbh but it's currently doing the business for me, big time.

I've not caught on it, but my initial concerns were about the unpredictability of it spinning about. Good to know about the bigger hooks, something I'll bare in mind if I give it another go. Deffo a decent presentation, nice and low key pop up and ability to withstand the bird life and not leave the rig in a mess. Cheers fella.

1 minute ago, Brutus said:

my initial concerns were about the unpredictability of it spinning about. Good to know about the bigger hooks

Based on my observations your concerns were spot on mate. In 2016 I played around with the rig but soon stopped due to the inconsistent hook holds. This year tried with bigger hooks and the issues are gone. I think the extra weight of the bigger hooks, even though it's a tiny amount of weight, helps drop the hook.

4 minutes ago, Brutus said:

Deffo a decent presentation

Certainly is. All my life I've been a hinge rig man but when the weed is very low lying, or over silt, there is defo a place for this rig imo.

13 minutes ago, yonny said:

Based on my observations your concerns were spot on mate. In 2016 I played around with the rig but soon stopped due to the inconsistent hook holds. This year tried with bigger hooks and the issues are gone. I think the extra weight of the bigger hooks, even though it's a tiny amount of weight, helps drop the hook.

Certainly is. All my life I've been a hinge rig man but when the weed is very low lying, or over silt, there is defo a place for this rig imo.

Absolutely, its a great edge if you were fishing over a weedy lake bed or covered in fine blanket weed - as its only an inch or so thick, the bait is just sitting above it or in an instance where you know the coots/ducks/grebes are down for a much and you need that confidence that your rig needs to be 100% as it was if disturbed.

Must admit I think The Ronnie rig is more fish and landing net friendly than the 360 rig, although both present the bait very similarly. I know Frank (Levigsp) really rates the 360, although as has been said before by myself and others when netting a fish, make sure the fish goes to the bottom of the landing net, because if the swivel/hook eye catches in the mesh it can make a mess of the fishes mouth.

I think the movement on the 360, being able to spin 360 (d'oh😖) is better than the movement of a slowed down covered swivel of The Ronnie rig.

The 360, is also easier to tie up.

Presentation, both are going to be very close to the lakebed, both can be presented as a hinge/combi style rig with a stiff or supple boom to get over the substrate and reduce tangles.

I have caught on both, but the Jingly Jangly rig as I think it was Keith Jenkins named the 360 originally is the better hooker, dependant on hook you use, whereas the Ronnie more hooks are suitable. For the Ronnie, I use Solar 101's and Gardner Muggas, whereas the 360, I think the curve shank patterns are best.

Both give 'reset' chances after an aborted take or bird interest, (as many pop-up rigs do) compared to blowback rigs using tubing which may be triggered and fail to hook if birds have played with the bait.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2018 at 08:16, yonny said:

Ta very much Yonny .

My Ronnie hook holds have always been in the scissors , which is o.k. I suppose , but I would prefer in the middle of the lip as some of my scissor hook holds didn't leave much margin of error .

However , I have been using sz. 6 Muggas so I'll try 4's - would that be too big for mid doubles and 20's do you think ? ; I never catch singles he lied 🙄.

6 minutes ago, crusian said:

Ta very much Yonny .

My Ronnie hook holds have always been in the scissors , which is o.k. I suppose , but I would prefer in the middle of the lip as some of my scissor hook holds didn't leave much margin of error .

However , I have been using sz. 6 Muggas so I'll try 4's - would that be too big for mid doubles and 20's do you think ? ; I never catch singles he lied 🙄.

if you ever do take the time to catch a upper single, look at the size of its gob, most can take a 20mm boilie without a struggle so a #4 would fly in :wink::lol::lol:

The ronnie has been my go to rig this year, has done me very well, however where most use it as a single or over a bed of boilies, I put mine in a solid bag. When i used a flurocarbon boom i dropped a few, Having better results now on something like Ntrap. I use size 8/6 hooks just because im using 12mm pop ups and on a size 4 its not boyent enough.

One thing i have found, And im not sure why yet, but sometimes fish just wont take the ronnie, Its like something is giving the game away but i cant understand what. This recently occured fishing with my dad, Fish either side of a tree, no more then 1 yards apart. I was catching really well, he wasnt getting a sniff, changed his ronnies to 1 of mine......Exactly the same....after a day and a half i had had enough (he had 1 fish on that ronnie so he was adminant not to change) I made him change to a bottom bait and within 3 hours he had 6 fish banked. Same depth of water, Same slightly silty bottom as where i was fishing....they just wasnt having the ronnie on that spot.

Guess the lesson for my dad was to change it up, Fish the situation, dont fish "what you like".

On 25/08/2018 at 03:58, smufter said:

What is the difference between a "German" rig and a "Ronnie" rig????

😲😲

As far as I know the German is a very basic bottom bait rig, no breaks in the hooklink coating, just a knotless knot rig with a hook swivel and bead, worlds apart from the Ronnie or whatever its being called today, which is a pop-up rig