New Line Larger Diameter

Looking at changing my line this season, really liked the Tiger Line lasted a few years and the only reason i need new is due small off cuts now leaving not enough for a comfy cast, so i will be buy again, my water now wants anglers to use a 0.38mm mainline, which means going from my currant 16lb 0.33mm line to a 20lb version which is 0.37mm  (i think i will get away with a 0.01 margine)

I was thinking about stepping up to a larger size anyhow, the 16lb fluro don't half sing out when playing a fish. casting and knot tying shouldn't be any different, my only concern is will the larger line stand out more to the fish? that's fished straight through with no leader. 

13 minutes ago, cyborx said:

its interesting that they want you to step up the thickness, how the hell are they going to police that one.

did the club give any reason for the change??

Very thick weed and the bottom of the lakes is very rugged with lots of deep holes. In a mono nylon line the 38mm is around 16-20 lb, the tiger line is very fine for its size, i was thinking of going heavier to get a better sink from the line, the only draw back being the amount of stinky winky it picks up.

Edited by Carpbell_ll

2 hours ago, greekskii said:

.5mm thicker

0.05 mm thicker,   5 hundredths of a mm. Which I don't think would make ant real difference (unless, like Dave mentioned you are casting to the horizon) Most of these sort of rules are to prevent anyone going in silly with 8lb or 10lb bs  imo...... If they are sensible, then your original line would be ok in the 16lb........ My last club had a similar rule, impossible to police, especially when you take floater and zig fishing into account... I'd just stick with your old line, 16lb is plenty strong enough......

Surely your lake would be better banning cheap lines rather than the diameter of the line it's self , and also how do they know how old the line is ? To be honest BC's rules with common sense as a rule , makes more sense to me .....

9 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Very thick weed and the bottom of the lakes is very rugged with lots of deep holes. In a mono nylon line the 38mm is around 16-20 lb, the tiger line is very fine for its size, i was thinking of going heavier to get a better sink from the line, the only draw back being the amount of stinky winky it picks up.

If I'm not mistaken tiger line is fluorocarbon line , therefore sinks. Why would you want your line to sink into thick weed or onto a very rugged lake bed?? That's just asking for cut offs in my opinion.  

4 minutes ago, emmcee said:

If I'm not mistaken tiger line is fluorocarbon line , therefore sinks. Why would you want your line to sink into thick weed or onto a very rugged lake bed?? That's just asking for cut offs in my opinion.  

perhaps i should of said i would like the line to sink as far back from the lead as possible due to not using a sinking leader of sorts, never had a cut off yet and have been fishing like it for a few years now on some very weedy lakes. besides aren't all bottom bait lines billed to "sink like a brick"

I'm guessing that's the reason for the rule change?  didn't say just upped the line size requirements for this year.

If you ever want to give the Tiger line ago, i really do highly recommend it on smallish waters the abrasion resistance is for margin fishing is second to none, the only drawbacks is keeping it clean and price if you want to fill a big reel. this would be the fourth year on my reels and it is still in good condition.

2 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

If you ever want to give the Tiger line ago, i really do highly recommend it on smallish waters the abrasion resistance is for margin fishing is second to none, the only drawbacks is keeping it clean and price if you want to fill a big reel. this would be the fourth year on my reels and it is still in good condition.

I remember you recommending the Tigerline before Carpbell, haven't used it myself.........

I wonder whether a few fish have been lost last year to snap offs, or maybe some trailers pulled in or found in snags that don't look up to the job. If so, then I can understand why they might want to put some kind of ground rule in place. As mentioned before though, difficult to police.

11 hours ago, cloud9 said:

Surely your lake would be better banning cheap lines rather than the diameter of the line it's self , and also how do they know how old the line is ? To be honest BC's rules with common sense as a rule , makes more sense to me .....

To be honest a couple of cheaper lines are better than most more expensive brands: Daiwa Sensor Brown and Gardner Pro Blend, both are only around £10 for a bulk spool.

Too many anglers weaken their lines themselves, albeit not intentionally, allowing line twist by playing fish on the clutch, line coming off the baitrunner, long casting, hitting the clip and then not replacing their line often enough.

'I've paid £20 for that, it is going to last a year'. I replace my line regularly after testing it, if that means every 3 months, then change it.

Loads of 15lb lines on the market are sold with a given diameter of 0.38 or even 0.40mm. They are not actually 15lb lines at all, but incorrectly rated 18 or 20lb lines. 15lb Daiwa Sensor brown, has a diameter of 0.36mm, and from my personal tests, broke at over 18lb consistently with the knots I use. White was not as good, I could not get the same knot strength, it is also stiffer. Gardner Pro Blend 15lb was the same; high abrasion resistance, good knot strength although the 15lb diameter is 0.35mm.

Something for you, many or most lines, the dye used to colour them is in there for a simple reason, and not one you might consider, not to camouflage it in water, but to make it softer, better to cast, and easier to knot. The fact they use colours supposedly to blend in the water.

Tackle Box line tests

line_tests_issue10.pdf

On 3/10/2018 at 20:53, Carpbell_ll said:

my only concern is will the larger line stand out more to the fish? that's fished straight through with no leader. 

The extra 0.05 will make no difference visually imo. It'll not behave as well though. I can't stand fluoro in higher diameters.

The min diameter has been bought in due to the heavy weed growth. I agree with emmcee, the last thing you need is all that fluoro sinking into the weed - you're halfway to getting fish weeded up before you even have the take imo buddy!

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:47, chillfactor said:

I agree with BC.... especially as it's tiger line your using, that's stuff very resilient in 16lb .

I'd second this and agree with cyborx that policing the difference between lines is virtually impossible unless, of course, the bailiffs are equipped with digital Vernier calipers.......and are blessed with 20/20 vision.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Still undecided on what to get, who knew line could throw up so many choices, if i stick with the tiger line i will up it to the 0.37 size, the guy who runs the lakes is good enough to let me fish them and i'm sure he can see i'm not the most competent  angler, best i stick to the rules as there is no shortage of anglers trying to get on.

I have been looking at monos and tubing too, anyone used the Rig Moral free fall flexi tubing, the newish one that is braid coated ? 

Edited by Carpbell_ll