Wychwood DPF line?????

Anybody else using this??

http://www.bobcotackle.co.uk/shop/WYCHWOOD-DPF-Line-1000m

I usually use Shimano Technium Black but have just bought 3 "nearly new" reels (Daiwa Emcast 5000BR) which need re-spooling, and I don't like the line that is already on them.

Thinking about giving this new DPF line a bash, it reviews well and is half the price of my usual Shimano stuff.

Plus it will look quite funky 'cos the reels are all black, especially if I get purple bobbins to match.

Me? Tackle tart?????

:wink:

Edited by smufter

Well, I took the plunge and ordered some!. At £12.00 for a bulk spool it doesn't break the bank if it doesn't work out. 

The reels I've bought are already loaded with a line that I don't like the look of, so the DPF will replace that. Also have brand new spare spools so will load those with my usual Technium "just in case".

All the actual reviews say that this DPF stuff is invisible in water, so we'll just have to suck it and see.

Out for a session on Wednesday, will report back. (It's quite a tough water so I might have nothing to report lol!)

All the actual reviews say that this DPF stuff is invisible in water,

Well I can tell you for a fact that this is not true. Although this lake is the definition of gin clear, so maybe a more coloured lake??

That being said, I'm not of the opinion that any line is invisible under water. Some are harder to spot than others, but no matter the colour, they are still visible. Maybe it doesn't look purple under water, but that doesn't make it invisible. Best way in my opinion to hide line is to break up the outline with different colours, and get it as flat to the deck as possible. If your line is off the bottom, they will see it. Simple as that.

Doesn't matter what colour your line is as debris collects on it and with in an hour all lines look identical coverd in a layer of grime.

You'd be quite happy with a flouro marker braid as a main line then?

Of Course colour matters to a point. It's just all this light refracting red/purple line that "vanishes" in water that I'm saying it a gimmick.

Still, if the colour isn't visible under water it'll just look like any other line, so won't be any worse or better.

Didnt Lee Jackson from the Tackle Box in Kent get involved with promoting a red line a few years back that was apparently going to be the next big thing because it vanished underwater ?

I may be wrong but I seem to remember it being marketed by TFG (what could possibly go wrong lol).

Would someone please tell me if I am remembering wrong ?

Cheers

Ian

"It's just all this light refracting red/purple line that "vanishes" in water that I'm saying it a gimmick".

Red line doesn't vanish in water.

But purple might.

Didnt Lee Jackson from the Tackle Box in Kent get involved with promoting a red line a few years back that was apparently going to be the next big thing because it vanished underwater ?

I may be wrong but I seem to remember it being marketed by TFG (what could possibly go wrong lol).

Would someone please tell me if I am remembering wrong ?

Cheers

Ian

That might of been Matt Hayes

Not sure if anyone else was backing it but I remember an episode of something rubbish that Matt Hayes was promoting it as the next big thing due to it vanishing in water due to the colour.

I don't know why people fall for it. A line that is coloured red or purple, when put into water the colour isn't visible, meaning the COLOUR vanishes, making it look exactly the same as a clear line.

Didn't Nash do a rather popular bait that was raved about for years in a nice purple colour, just saying.

You'd be quite happy with a flouro marker braid as a main line then?

Of Course colour matters to a point. It's just all this light refracting red/purple line that "vanishes" in water that I'm saying it a gimmick.

Still, if the colour isn't visible under water it'll just look like any other line, so won't be any worse or better.

No because it's not a fishing line it's to thin to fish with so I wouldn't and i wouldnt go out my way to be blatant but any line collects debris so weather you use fox camo, wychwood, or esp what ever it doesn't matter. Im much more concerned about how abrasive resistant the line is.

Well, I took the plunge and ordered some!. At £12.00 for a bulk spool it doesn't break the bank if it doesn't work out. 

The reels I've bought are already loaded with a line that I don't like the look of, so the DPF will replace that. Also have brand new spare spools so will load those with my usual Technium "just in case".

All the actual reviews say that this DPF stuff is invisible in water, so we'll just have to suck it and see.

Out for a session on Wednesday, will report back. (It's quite a tough water so I might have nothing to report lol!)

Well Smufter , DPF sales could rocket or plummet - it's all down to you .

No pressure then ! .

I think you at least should post a picture of your tarty set up :wink:  . 

Yes Matt was involved with TFG but Lee did an article for one of the monthly magazines and was pictured head on with his rods fairly high clearly showing the colour of the line and he went to great lengths to say it would disappear first in changing light conditions.

Cheers

Ian

I seem to recall that he did not get swans swimming through the line like they did with more neutral colours...

Matt Hayes at the time was the face of TFG, and the line was or is the Nan-Tec lines I think. It is still available I reckon you'll find.

Monster Squid Purple, I have caught a few fish on the mini pop-ups, with the pop-up as the top bait on a snowman over my fishmeal boilie, and a couple of tench on the pop-ups alone.

Isn't it that as the light disappears underwater that colours no longer show up, but the item shows up as black?

All joking aside.... managed to load one of my reels up last night with it.

When you first see it on the spool it looks quite dark, but when you view it as a single strand of line, it lightens up considerably, you can hardly notice the purple colouring.

It's definitely not a "hit you in the face" colour and I'm feeling fairly confident that it will do what it says on the tin.

I read that it was fairly thin line (for the given breaking strain) so went for 18lb as I usually load my reels up with 12 for "domestic" fishing, 15 for when I go to France.

It definitely looks thinner than my 15lb Technium Black.

It loaded onto the reel superbly, very little "springiness" as it came off the main spool, which bodes well.

Won't get a chance to use it until Sunday, as long as it casts well I'm feeling fairly confident it will work as intended.

Will report back once I've given it a try.

Oh just another thing..... sorry to bore you!!

It's nice that a manufacturer actually puts the stated amount of line on a bulk spool!

I've bought bulk spools before, gone to load up 3 reels and been short of the 3rd one.

Loaded all 3 reels up now, stated line capacity of them was well over 300 metres of .35mm and I still have absolutely loads on the main spool.

Nice one Wychwood!!

Edited by smufter

Finally got a chance to use it yesterday and very impressed.

Casts really well, and sinks very quickly (quicker than my usually preferred Technium Black).

I did notice I had quite a few liners, but whether this was just coincidence or not, I don't know.

The only reservation I have with it is the aforementioned diameter (or lack of it!).

For 18lb line it appears very thin, much thinner than my usual 15lb line, almost like using a 10 or 12.

The proof of the pudding is going to be if I hook into a massive great lump or get caught in a tree/bush/reeds and how much effort it takes to break free.

The latter is more likely...

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Edited by smufter

• 1 month later...

Hello Smufter

I bumped into a chap who is using " the purple line " .

He  said the 12lb was rubbish - he couldn't get it to knot satisfactorily and had lost fish because of this , but he was happy with , umm was it the 15lb or the 18lb ? d'oh I can't remember ! .

:oops:

As I mentioned above, I am using the 18lb flavour as I tend to buy my line based on diameter rather than quoted breaking strain.

The 18lb seems to be somewhere between the thickness of the 12 and 15 of my previously preferred Technium Black.

I've certainly had no problems at all with it knotting satisfactorily.

It sits on the spool nicely. Also casts very well, and sinks really quickly, which I like.

I haven't lost any fish on it yet, but having said that I've only caught one since I've been using it, and that was hardly a "monster" at about 8 or 9lb.

The only thing I have noticed is that I am getting a lot more "liners" with it.... could be coincidence, but could it back up what Wychwood are saying about it being more invisible to fish?? Dunno.

Jury is out for me on this line at the moment. Like I say, I am enjoying it's "bankside" properties but I've hit a barren spell with regards catch rate since going over to it, so not sure if it's the line, my bait, the fish just not wanting to know, or me being a numpty!

A few more fish on the bank will up my confidence with it.

I have bought a bulk spool of Technium Black to go on my spare spools "just in case".

:wink:  :wink:  :wink: