What lead set up to use?

Lumeymorris

I don't know much about the leads and how to use them effectively as different lake beds/distantces require different lead set up but then would it also depend on what rig your using as well? Any basic guidelines will do

just dont overthink it lumey,

my mantra is 'KEEP IT SIMPLE' :wink:

Flat or grippers if fishing on a slope.

Pear( dumpy or long ) for distance.

Square or dumpy are good for giving maximum weight on the lift.

I don't think the actual rig dictates what lead shape or type is needed ,but where the rig is used definitely should be considered with shape and type.

Distance, you cant beat heli set ups.

Indication ,running rigs win all week long.

leadclips???............they're great for ease of switching leads till you find the one that works for you..(and setting hooks and snag work)

Inlines, semi fixed , free running and drop off are all rounders, great for bag work, but can cause problems on some bottoms as the swivel can get damaged if not a bag.

I use a heli set up for everything apart from zigs and adjust the top bead position to suit the substrate. In general, the weedier the deck is, the smaller the lead I'll use (taking distance into account, obviously).

Have to say I'm not particularly fussy about lead type unless I'm chucking long (which is rare).

Yonny , do you think that lead would land the right way up every time just because of the buoyant pop up ?

I'm not so sure .

That's a good question fella....... Assuming the water was deep enough one would expect it to orientate itself during descent through the water regardless of how it hits the surface. In the shallows it'd probs land on the deck in the same way it hit the surface.

If it was me looking to use the rig I'd be testing it first by casting it repeatedly to spots that i can see.

Don't give em an inch !

What do you make of this setup then guys ?

Not used it myself, but I have used the avid leads & drop off stems which are utilised in this setup & the lead dumps everytime so bare that in mind when you make your comments.

FB_IMG_1462518260765_zpsmlcypa0v.jpg

It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember  Terry Hearn talking about this rig in Angling Times.....Not sure if the "which way it lands" dilemma is why Iv not seen it since(until today) but I do think the flying chod evolved from this.

It certainly would set the hook home, and maybe batter their chops trying to shake it out.

Interesting. I love an inline pear, fished drop off, but I don't use it much as I would only trust presentation on a rock hard/gravel bottom. Do you use this setup even on a silty / choddy bottom? How do you deal with the lead plugging and dragging the rig in with it?

My problem with inline leads is that the damage that gets done to the hook-link, hooklink swivel, lead insert or tulip bead, especially on harder lake beds.

I used to fish inlines regularly, and found I was killing swivels, tulip beads and the top end of my hooklink as it crashed onto gravel in water less than around 6 feet deep.

Kryston Braid was less likely to be damaged than mono, but Dacron and mono could get fragged. If the swivel got marked and nicked, it could eventually cut through the hook-link.

The tulip beads I was using as the lead insert regularly got broken, so I switched to a neoprene sleeve or catapult elastic over a length of stiff tubing running through the lead.

Interesting. I love an inline pear, fished drop off, but I don't use it much as I would only trust presentation on a rock hard/gravel bottom. Do you use this setup even on a silty / choddy bottom? How do you deal with the lead plugging and dragging the rig in with it?

solid bag with a little air lets you down gently lol

solid bag with a little air lets you down gently lol

Yeah that's what I use them for. Solid bag. Nothing better for it IMO.

Just you said you use them for everything. So do you always fish a solid bag in weed, chod and silt? Just interested. I wish I could get a bait to present properly on these bottoms with an inline lead.

Yeah that's what I use them for. Solid bag. Nothing better for it IMO.

Just you said you use them for everything. So do you always fish a solid bag in weed, chod and silt? Just interested. I wish I could get a bait to present properly on these bottoms with an inline lead.

weed, chod and silt then yes thats generally the way i go, you can also tie a little pva parachute bubble to your lead swivel with pva tape, that will slow it down enough too.

I found the PVA bag with a braided hooklink very effective in weed, although on gravel, the lead did tend to increase the landing speed, pushing itself out of the bag, still damaging the swivel.

The hook pushed through the corner of the bag meant that most of the free bait stayed around the hook and bait in weed as or if the lead came out.

The lead was positioned in one corner, the hook in the other.

To slow the bag down, a few floating dog biscuits, corn/PVA nuggets or pop-ups could be put in it. A bright pop-up or dog biscuits floating up gave you a target to aim at if you want to fire a few baits around it.