Zig rig

Reedy11

Hey :)

Haven't posted on here in a while but have fished quite a lot over the last couple of years, I've decided I want to give zigs another go - I had a go before but had no luck.

I've bought some of the Nash zig floats, zig bugs and some proper zig line so I should be good tackle wise just wanted to see what you guys think about fishing with zigs this time of year?

Next Friday I'm going out for 48 hours and fishing my syndicate, it's a 4 acre silt lake that averages around 4ft deep, so quite shallow. It's got some upper 20's and apparent 30 in it. What do you recommend it's looking overcast and quite warm in the day so should I fish the zigs maybe 1ft under the surface during the day then put bottom baits out for the night?

Cheers, Jason :)

Oh really? ok then it does say it's going to be quite warm next week, highs 18 over the weekend, do you still think that will be a bit cold in the day?

I've been looking in to it a little bit and people say you can catch on zigs in the winter as well - I know it's probally a bit harder though!

I ordered   Ultima Zignature Floater and Zig Line Clear 100m 12lb - it's a flurocarbon coated line designed to be bouyant for zig fishing :)

Edited by Reedy11

Zig fishing is an all year round tactic,mate. Been fishing them for a couple of years now,with OK results. I think the key with zigs is stick with it. It's a confidence thing why people give in after a bit. Give it a fair chance you may surprise yourself

Mate, I wouldn't use an inline, I did that once as it was the only leads I had on a short session. It came free from the insert and end up bouncing around the line and knocked the fish off. I'd fish zigs on a leadclip and be prepared to hit single beeps, I've found zig takes can be quite strange as the fish has a fair amount of hook link to play with.

I'd also try them at different levels, one at 1 foot, one at 2 foot and one at 3 foot and find out which works, then begin to move the others to that length maybe 6 inches apart to refine it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've got a few regular leads that I could take with me and use on a lead clip, I always use inline leads but I'll switch it over for the zigs.

What i think I'll do as I'm getting there Friday evening is fish on the bottom overnight and get a zig rod set up to swap out with one of the bottom bait rods in the morning, fish that one at 1 foot under - You can only use 2 rods on my lake. I'll then just change the rig on the other rod and fish a zig with that one a bit deeper.

I've got some of that Nash Gyro bug mix thats supposed to be good for fishing zigs so I'll just put some of that out as well :)

I still have never fully committed to Zigs when fishing ie all three rods at different depths changing depth until you find the column there in . Obviously with such a shallow lake you can do this pretty quickly.

Also changes in colour can make the difference.

But to me committing to the tactic is key .

And something I have to try myself at some point.

Best of luck & look forward to your report back .

I'll definitly try and commit to it! It will be hard to resist reeling them in, I'll swap both rods over to zigs during the first day and see how it goes.

Will definitely post how it goes on here :) I'll also put some photos up of the rigs I use, I've got some nice zig bugs, grey ones and purple ones :)

Haha dathegooner I used to use goo all the time have to get some more, it stains everything though that's the only issue with it

Good shout I'll use the darker one-off it's a sunny day, I'm in the process of building up my collection of foam/zig bugs soon I'll have a box full of them :) from my experience I catch a lot more on the bottom at night I feel like the fish are the bottom more often than not at night, also my lake seems to go dead in the day and go crazy at night so it's just what I'm used to

Reedy11 my local is similar,definitely does better of a night...... But (and I'm not trying to start an argument) but if you haven't tried zigs of a night,you may catch more if you left say 1rod on them. I see what your saying about bottom baits producing for you,and can't knock you for sticking with it. But give it a go on a few overnighters,mate. You may surprised yourself.

I still fish bottom baits myself. But I've also nicked the odd fish or 2 on an overnighter when everybody else blanked on the bottom

Tbf Phil,only on my local of course,there's been no pattern to bite time. I've still had fish,in the middle of the night on a bit of brown foam fished in the bottom quarter of swim.... With probably little attraction on it. It's mad ain't it. Early morning are good in the spring/ summer I think due to fly hatch/insect life,but zigs in my opinion is very underused and after watching Niges masterclass I clicked on to there true potential

Zigs are a devastating tactic. As anything in angling though, there is a time and place. I would say though, if I fished a full year on only zigs, I would catch more than a full year fishing on the deck only.

What I try to do is get the mix of methods right to get an even better return!

Steveo has given some good advice but I have to say, I use the heaviest lead I can get away with. Also, as mentioned by others in this thread, a lead clip is the way to go.

The reasons behind me having a big lead on a clip include making sure it comes off on the take. Most of the time my zigs are fished over two foot deep (not always though). I don't want lead swinging around that far away from the hook when playing fish. The takes on zigs can, a lot of the time, be either screamers or drop backs ( the fish is already moving during the bite). If the lead comes off and with the use of a tight line and heavy bobbin, the drop backs will be more positive.

Another reason for the heavy lead is to do with the distance from the hook again. I want the hook set straight away and the heavy lead helps this. I want the fish to feel it straight away!

Where hookbaits are concerned, I like to use a half and half colour. My starting point is always black and white zig lites from avid. White on top and black underneath. If the fish is over the top, the white will stand out against the dark water or bottom. The black will silhouette if the fish passes below it. These two factors can induce an inquisitive bite.

All my plastics and foams are kept in a pot soaking in thaumatin B, diluted 50:50 with water.

Oh, and zigs at night definitely work!!!!

Thanks for your advise guys so I'll going to give it a go Next weekend, ill show you some pics of the rigs and fish caught fingers crossed! It's so hard to not want to out atleast one rod on bottom bait, especially when it's a 2 rod lake lol.

So the best conditions for zigs at night are full moon (as it is for most fishing) this weekend coming probably won't be a full moon so would you say not to put zigs out over night?

Thanks for your advise guys so I'll going to give it a go Next weekend, ill show you some pics of the rigs and fish caught fingers crossed! It's so hard to not want to out atleast one rod on bottom bait, especially when it's a 2 rod lake lol.

So the best conditions for zigs at night are full moon (as it is for most fishing) this weekend coming probably won't be a full moon so would you say not to put zigs out over night?

I know I repeat this on pretty much every zig thread but Nashy has a theory that Carp spend up to 90% of their time OFF the bottom .

If I can find the article I'll post it :wink:

My take on zigs: I use zigs more and more each year and catch more as a result. Last year there were at least 2 sessions on which I would have blanked if it wasn't for the zigs. I don't always go straight under the surface like most do, in fact I normally start by splitting the depth into thirds and fishing one at the bottom of the middle third and one at the top of the middle third (particularly at night). Only on the brightest days do I pop one under the surface and even then it's only when there's a breeze on the water and I can see carp in the very upper layers. I don't find zigs are the answer when they're milling about on top on the hottest, calmest days.

I use the Fox zig alingers with balck foam which are great over a hatch but have also had success on tiny bright 10 mm over-flavoured pop ups.

I use lead clips with the smallest lead I can get away with. It pays to drop the lead (I'm not a fan of dropping leads but it's necessary with zigs - it's horrible playing them with a lead attached and I've dropped fish because of it).

I avoid the pre-stretched zig lines, they have next to no abrasion resistance so can't deal with the weed in the Nene Valley - I discovered this the hard way. My mate put me onto X Line in 10 lb as a zig line and it's been absolutely brilliant.

As said, the hardest bit about zigs is getting your head round it. I used to try it for an hour here and there but would think I was wasting a rod. It wasn't until I'd caught a few I dared keep them out for longer periods. The trick is to use them for a reason rather than for the sake of it - most guys only whack one out when they're struggling on the deck. I'll put them out where I know there should be carp (e.g. when I can see them from the trees, see a hatch, or can see them topping over bait but can't induce a take). I find chucking a zig at a showing fish is at least as effective as chucking a single (e.g. a pop up) at them, probably more so.

They are very, very effective fished two thirds depth off the deck a meter or two off the entrance to any shallow areas or bays.

Again, I find you need a breeze on the water, regardless of time of day or season, for them to work really effectively. I never put freebies out, just attracts the bird life.

I still struggle to get my head round them a little bit - even if I've caught 4 on zigs and none off the deck I still refuse to put all the rods on zigs, I always need one on the deck. Crazy I know.

I want to hug you all, Let me explain....

I was reading this post yesterday before i went on a sesson (5PM - 6AM)

I arrived at the lake to find the fish crashing in a swim that i wasnt keen on so i plonked in next door and decided to fish one rig on the bottom and one on a zig. I fished about an hour at 5ft in 8ft of water as they were crashing all over, after no activity i decided to change it to 2ft (dont ask me why just a hunch). half an hour later and i had my first fish on the bank. I continued to change the height of my zig until dark with no further action. I had my fish on a black zig that i selected because the sun was so bright. I plucked up the balls to leave that rod on the zig all night long, Went to 4ft for no reason in particular and changed over to yellow so it was more visable, At midnight i have another carp maybe just scrapping a double and had a nice fat 19lb common at 5AM (just as the sun was coming up). All 3 fish came on the zig, In an unbaited spot, just chucked it and left it, The baited spot where the bottom bait was produced nothing.

The thought of using zigs at night for my next session is already playing on my mind....