The football thread

Did you hear the ITV commentator ? "England are spoilt for choice" ffs , don't make me laugh .

90 minutes of square ball after square ball until the ball ends up with Henderson who gives it away .

Shocking to hear so many pundits praising England during the group stages. They've played against 3 teams wanting to defend and nearly got knocked out of the tournament.

I still can't believe that Roy did not pick Andy Carroll. Peter Crouch would've been top goal scorer of the tournament against these teams. Even the Dinosaur would've done a better job picking a squad.

So England will most likely play against Portugal and then France. I think that Portugal will once again raise their game to send England packing.

Experience mate,can't buy it. We panicked in the last 20mins,it needed calm heads to unlock that one pass or that one goal and force Slovakia to play. Instead we started taking pot shots,and making rushed,panicked decisions.

I think we've done ok so far in the groups,but we have played 3 teams just wanting to defend,so we're bound to have plenty of possession. The Italians will defend like Slovakia did last night,but given the chance they WILL attack,and score goals..... Same as can be said if we played Germany/Spain/Belguim etc.

Can't buy it .... Can't pick it either with the squad he took .

Just hope they have been practicing penalties, if there going to continue to struggle in front of goal.

Your mate Rooney has hit every shot at the keeper bar 1 which forced a good save .... most experienced player with have out there :wink:

He was running the show against Russia mate. Then our negative manager brought him off..... The rest is history, played well against Wales then gets rested ????? For a game we should of won. Dier,Walker and Rooney have been our best players so far,

My mate Rooney also plays in midfield now,mate. Not bad for the country's top scorer.

I think it's good Hodgson has brought in form/young players in but some of his decisions in this group have baffled me. I'd like to see Rooney play behind the striker personally but not too deep. 6 changes for an important game baffled me,but last night when the clock started ticking down and calm heads was needed we was found wanting..... And I include Rooney in that who was a bit like a bull in a china shop. From the off that team was set out not to lose,and that's a result in a round robin group I suppose,but...... When I see the quality that didn't start that match I just thought it was a wasted opertunity. Wiltshire before Barkley Henderson before Ali ..... Both midfielders who have got goals in there locker. Negative team selection and a dodgy defence will see us knocked out sooner rather than later. I hope I'm wrong.

We certainly lack width last night with no rose or walker, when you have a team like Slovakia camped in there final third with the bus well and truly parked you need to stretch the defence to open the space we just herded them tighter together, as highlighted 6 changes 2 or 3 of those have barely played any football this season (sturridge, wiltshire, henderson).  Why mass changes it is only a short tournament.

Nearly every cross went to the patch of grass at the far post where not 1 red shirt was.

For me its the managers fault he setup them up to play that, Woy must have been short of video footage of Slovakia

Henderson cant even fill out his voting card :lol:  :lol:

ClbJHpqWMAA6WIQ.jpg

Agreed with you Hutch,there was only Wiltshire worse than Henderson last night. Sturridge has been fit for some time now and got a good few games under his belt. Clyne played really well last night,but without a different type of striker up front,most crosses was wasted. Our 4 strikers are all pretty similar .... So there's never going to be a plan b when faced with a team intent on defending.

Wiltshire shouldn't of gone not fit looked good for 10 mins then was puffing like a 50 a day merchant .... Henderson wouldn't even get in the villa side :lol:

But like Hutch has pointed out they need to be able to create more space for each other.

If you think this team has been thrown together because of the lack of form of Rooney in front of goal and the emergence of some of the young players from last season, so we shouldn't expect to much .

Agree with you stevo knocked out once we play a good side but obviously hope we go all the way & win it .