The football thread

I think West Ham spent £58m on 13 players. I think they'd have been a lot better off spending that money on three or four quality players. The thing is, they thought they were going to be playing Europa League, so I guess they were trying to pad out their squad for that.

I was really surprised they let Tomkins go though, I thought he was one of WH's most consistent players last season.

I still reckon tyey'll finish above Chelsea though.

Not licking mate.

Just think it's entrapment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tbf he only admitted to " knowing ways" of getting round certain rules.

No mate , he knew what is coming in the Tekegraph on Friday morning.

He'll be one of the 8.

Edited by newmarket

I think you're right, these papers never give up everything they know in the first article. There'll be bigger revelations to come. I think Sam knew that, and I think that's why he didn't try to hang on.

It's a real shame though, I don't see anyone better waiting in the wings. Southgate is about as inspiring as cold tea, and Howe has only been in management for five minutes. Pardew would be a bigger liability than Sam, and there have been similar rumours about Bruce.

I decided to wash my hands of the England football team after the Iceland game, and I can't say I miss any of it.

Edited by brighton_carper

I think you're right, these papers never give up everything they know in the first article. There'll be bigger revelations to come. I think Sam knew that, and I think that's why he didn't try to hang on.

It's a real shame though, I don't see anyone better waiting in the wings. Southgate is about as inspiring as cold tea, and Howe has only been in management for five minutes. Pardew would be a bigger liability than Sam, and there have been similar rumours about Bruce.

I decided to wash my hands of the England football team after the Iceland game, and I can't say I miss any of it.

As far as the England managers job goes Theo , the Dinosaur would have bored the opposition to death but got through both the qualifiers and the tournament group stages by respecting the point etc but as soon as the knockout stages came around he wouldn't have a clue .

Your not allowed to draft in the under-18 squad midway through a tournament :)

I think he'd have done ok with England actually. We'd have been well organised, and he wouldn't have been pushed around by the senior players, like Woy. He never really managed a big team, so you can't really compare the dour way his struggling premiership teams, and championship teams played, with how he would have got England playing. The resources are totally different. 

I just can't see who would want the job now.

Edited by brighton_carper

I don't think big Sam did have control of the players.... Look at Rooney and the he plays where he wants quote.... Unbelievable. I gave up on international footy 20 years ago,as said in many a post years ago we ain't as good as we think we are and 2 good tournaments in 50 years proves that.

I'd like Hoddle to have a crack, my only reservation is his time out of the game at top level.

Apart from that I think when names like Southgate,Bruce and Pardew are banded about you know we're in the mire !!!!!

No Steve, that was Big Sam giving Rooney the rope to hang himself, and I'd say it worked quite well.

What do you mean, you gave up on England 20 years ago? Everyone knows Liverpool supporters have never supported England.

You say England have had two good tournaments in 50 years, well for a start I'd make that three, 1966, 1990 and 1996, but look at Spain. If you took Spain in 2007, they had a far less successful international record than England, and now look at them. It only takes a couple of clubs to get their coaching and youth development right, and a bit of intelligence at the top, and things can turn around very quickly. 

Southgate, Bruce and Pardew, that's why we have to go for Hoddle or a recent ex-player. Look what Klinsmann did with Germany, and he'd never managed at club level.