Elphics fisheries

I've merged your 2 threads on Elphics lakes.

There are many possible answers as to a blank session:

Fishing the wrong spot or area, too much bait, too little bait, the guy next to you was able to draw your fish across, you made too much noise or disturbance, all may or may not be relevant, it could be something like you weren't fishing a bait the fish were comfortable eating or eating enough of to get caught, or your rigs or bite indication were ineffective

The biggest tip I can give anyone on any fishery is look, walk, look, look and look some more and set up on the fish when you have worked out where they are. You won't catch every trip, but being able to find the fish is a big advantage.

I was fishing kettle lake I had 1 fish with the first 3 how's of my session it was 9 lb 6 oz that was it the bloke next to was using different bait. I was on kettle lake and using carp company icelantic reds..... This weekend I'm fishing the prairie lake so going to try essential baits see how I get on

Now dont take offence Michael but i have read all the very useful advice you've been offered above.

I've never fished this lake so one can never be certain but one thing i can say is this;

I am 99.999999 % certain that your bait isnt your problem.

In fact you caught a nighon double figure Carp during your session so i'm not even sure you have a problem tbh but if you have ?

It aintcha bait mate :)

Location, location, location.

As far as it sounds, your only problem was that you were not in the swim next door. How many times I have been in a situation fishing 2 or 3 rods, and I have caught several fish all on the same rod. There are many many variables of location in your own swim, let alone comparing to the swim next door. I wouldn't beat yourself up, one fish is a successfull session, don't worry about what you did wrong, but try to realise everything that you did right.

As far as it sounds, your only problem was that you were not in the swim next door. How many times I have been in a situation fishing 2 or 3 rods, and I have caught several fish all on the same rod. There are many many variables of location in your own swim, let alone comparing to the swim next door. I wouldn't beat yourself up, one fish is a successfull session, don't worry about what you did wrong, but try to realise everything that you did right.

I've just had a look on this Elphicks website .

Did everyone know they have Carp to 62LB ?????

Wtf ?

Did this place do a record or something ? Or is it a garlic chewer ?:)

Either way i've never heard of the place but it explains why its absolutely extortionate prices to fish there :)

And its reckoned you have to book 4-6 weeks in advance even this time of year .

I'll stick at the Chase thankeeverymuchhhhh :)

I've just had a look on this Elphicks website .

Did everyone know they have Carp to 62LB ?????

Wtf ?

Did this place do a record or something ? Or is it a garlic chewer ?:)

Either way i've never heard of the place but it explains why its absolutely extortionate prices to fish there :)

And its reckoned you have to book 4-6 weeks in advance even this time of year .

I'll stick at the Chase thankeeverymuchhhhh :)

Mate it is true the carp is a french fish but the fisherie is always busy from the new year people book up the specimen lakes all the way through to the winter it's a well looked after place

I was fishing kettle lake I had 1 fish with the first 3 how's of my session it was 9 lb 6 oz that was it the bloke next to was using different bait. I was on kettle lake and using carp company icelantic reds..... This weekend I'm fishing the prairie lake so going to try essential baits see how I get on

Now dont take offence Michael but i have read all the very useful advice you've been offered above.

I've never fished this lake so one can never be certain but one thing i can say is this;

I am 99.999999 % certain that your bait isnt your problem.

In fact you caught a nighon double figure Carp during your session so i'm not even sure you have a problem tbh but if you have ?

It aintcha bait mate :)

Too many people switch baits too quickly, simply down to one blank session, or catching very few fish. Stick with what you got, if you caught on it the bait does obviously work.

Carp can feed very tightly in one area. At Nazeing a year or so ago, I fished 3 rods in one swim, the left hand rod was the only rod that had any indication at all, producing 4 carp to mid twenties. The middle rod was cast about 5metres away from the left, but produced not a bleep over 4 days. It was fished the same, with the same bait, the same rig set-up, yet I caught nothing. The right hand rod I fished as a rover to the right of the swim, and that also produced nothing.

At Taverham, in winter, if you weren't in a particular spot then you could blank. A mate and I doubled up in this swim for a day trip, he had 3 fish, and I had none. The baits were no more than 2metres apart. Bait, I know was good, I'd made it for both of us. Rigs, I know mine worked as my mate and I tied rigs up in batches and just shared them out between us.

It is the same for most waters, and most species of fish.

My suggestion is spend more time learning one water, learn the fish, their movements, feeding areas, the lakebed, the snags, margins. If you keep chopping and changing then you likely won't do particularly well anywhere, and plenty of blanks are a norm. Of course if you can take in all the information and learn more than one water, it may take you longer to be consistent and catch from them.

• 3 months later...

Only ever fish prairie,kettle and plantation biggest I've had there is 24. Plantation I had none coz the group of people I went with were too noisey and on plantation it's 1 acre so a small lake and little noise produces good results

. You'd think with only an acre to hide in they'd be used to a bit of noise really :wink::)