Rigs you are using now?

beza26

I find soft ghost to be a lot easier to use that more traditional stiff links, it knots well and straightens well and does the job. Ive never had an issue with it. I also got a spool of old school amnesia for more "stiffer" applications and boom sections on hinged stiff links, that i used to use a lot. Im looking into crimping at the moment but have a few reservations at present.

:rolleyes:

just got some suffix stiff silt, seems a bit wirey but braid underneath looks good, sure a bit of a steam will straighten it out nicely..

ill tie some rigs and give it a go, was only £6 on ebay for 20m so much cheaper than N-trap!

I use a lot of the coated suffix range, your right that silt is very wirey, not keen myself, odd occasion i'd use it for a boom section for a combi .

On the subject of long hairs, I think they are great, the first pick up. But can get in all sort of a state if picked up and dropped, or played with by small fish. I just don't like the risk that the hair/bait could obstruct the hook point.

Edited by grangemilky

I'd normally leave 8-10mm from the bait to the hook, but that can change depending how you tie it.

Two identical rigs below with hairs done for 16mm baits, hair extenders work to a degree but i find that awkward with hard or plastic tipped baits,

solution, bait floss, cut a 5-6 inch length , pass through the hair and double up, put baits on needle, loop over floss and pull through,

one will be on the hair, one on the floss, a few overhand knots and a baitstop if required, voila same rig ,double bait, snowman etc.

DSCF1306_zps994aaf88.jpg

If i'm using a heli setup, then the big eye quick change swivels are ideal (bottom of the pic) coupled with a A.T sleeve, 

This is also useful when you have a fish in the net, unclip the rig take the rod away then sort the fish out on the mat, saves trying to carry both if your on your own.

The floss trick is one of my little ruses to extend the length of a pretied hair. Ive looked at extenda hairstops, but i tend to tie a loop in my chosen hooklink 3a3uba6u.jpg and hair rig a boilie before threading the hook on u7ajedep.jpg and tying it all up, be3ube3a.jpg making sure the hair is the length i want it.pe5y4a5u.jpg rather than tying it up first then seeing how the boilie fits.

.... Im looking into crimping at the moment but have a few reservations at present.

I use crimps, really like them, not had one slip on me yet. The key is to get the crimp tight to the swivel so there is little to no slack to the crimped loop (If that makes sense).

Edited by dalthegooner

Yeah, got ya, ive been playing around and have not had any issues on my bench tests. And they look pukka neat, just need to get some reliable crimps to have a proper play. I tried initial tests with sea fishing crimps which are ideal for placing on 60lb rig bodies but they need testing with carp links which i found to be (obviously) thinner, "smoother" and might be more liable to slip or nick the link as some of the crimp edges are a bit rough.

• 2 weeks later...

on a tangent all, what do you all use for Chods/helicopter rigs in terms of the bead system. There are some decent ones from Avid, Taska, Korda, all the main companies, also a really neat little bead slider system from Thinking Anglers which looks decent.

I've used most of them, and also like the slightly weighted beads you can get.

what do you all think?

thanks,

on a tangent all, what do you all use for Chods/helicopter rigs in terms of the bead system. There are some decent ones from Avid, Taska, Korda, all the main companies, also a really neat little bead slider system from Thinking Anglers which looks decent.

what do you all think?

thanks,

There is a nifty little chod set up on the Linear DVD, they use the beads that are wide enough for lead-core, but they pierce a hole straight through the side of the rubber bead and use normal main line, right through to the lead.

Top; My standard heli rig , fox buffer bead, large eye quick change swivel on solar contour.

Bottom, naked chod rig components, size 8 quik klip, fox buffer bead, avid chod bead

Top beads are the very soft esp ones, usually quite slack but held in place with pva tape for the cast.

DSCF1334_zps2b8bc884.jpg

what do you all think?

thanks,

I tend to use the gardner dual bore 4mm rubberbeads which fit onto either the korda sinkers or the newer gardner version of em .

I like the look of the avid chod beads but if it aint broke...

nice setup banksalot, love that quick change swivel set up, very neat!

The avid beads do look decent, but as Newmarket suggests, if your skilled enough making your own out of a bead and a sinker works very well.

Just to keep this going for grangemilky's sake,lol, anyone used Nash Cling On leader, I love the suppleness of it..

For the love of god can a mod change the title. I know my spelling isn't great at the best of times, but now this thread is gaining momentum, its really starting to grate on me :lol:

I'll try to keep you happy,

Sorry Beza!

no icons while on ipad

Typical, didn't bother tying any super nova up, had every confidence in the snake bite, one rod sat with-out a touch all day, so I tied up a super nova rig put a pop up and bottom boillie on, and chucked it out about six foot to a reed bank and had my best fish of the day out by 7 PM.

• 3 weeks later...