WHY ARE RIGS SO CONFUSING!

christoph22

Hello you can probably guess what this thread is about. I've been carpin for about 6 years now but only have i just started 24 hr sessions so i thought id get my head into a few books. i already know rigs that work well for me and i use them all the time as im not so sure theres much point in using complicated methods yet why do all the mags and books suggest it? i mean i have just bought the fox guide to modern carp fishing and they say there rigs are simple but there really not.... one rig had the hooklink tied to a swivel with an added ring (on the hooklink end) and the other end of the swivel was attached to the hook (the hook was not directly connected to the hooklink) then the bait was attached to the hook with floss D-Rig style with 2 pieces of putty on the hook to stop it going to far up or down the shaft. I mean this doesnt sound simple to me at all. Why have an extra ring on the swivel? why have the swivel connect to the hook in the first place? and why do hooks come in different shapes (Eg wide gape/long shank)? WHY WHY WHY!!?

i already know rigs that work well for me and i use them all the time as im not so sure theres much point in using complicated methods yet why do all the mags and books suggest it?

First off well done to you for sticking to your guns and having faith in your approach to constructing your rigs and like yourself i do agree that we sometimes over complicate things. Some of these "wonder rigs" are designed by the angler in question to catch one certain fish in one certain scenario.

Now to your question on why do the mags and books suggest complicated rigs..... its because maybe the angler writing the article is sponsored by a certain tackle manufacturer and the more bits and bobs he endorses, the more the angler reading the article will go out buy the said components thus lining the manufacturers pocket :wink:

Regarding the hooks, each different pattern of hook is suited to a fishing certain situation. Some people use different hook patterns for fishing bottom baits, pop ups, chod rigs etc.

the more complicated the rig, the more complonents needed to make it, the more money goes to the manufacturers, look at korda, made a fortune convincing the nation their rigs were a pile of toss in their "revealing" DVD series, then cleaned up selling the "wonder" components as seen in said DVD... exellent marketing strategy, all fair in love and business i suppose...

:)

thanks to all replys i just had a tough session on a lake in retford. The carp were spawning heavily and me n my friend caught nothing until the last half hour were he caught a 20 pounder off a critically balanced bait where the hook lied flat on the bottom and the bait popped up of the bottom. Did this really mean that he caught and i didnt? my rig was a standard bottom bait with a lead clip set up. Maybe his approach was better because of the silty bottom

I think the general view that you should stick to simple rigs which work for you is absolutely correct.

It is quite good fun to play around with rigs during the fishless hours of a long session though. On my latest session I had a copy of the May edition of Carpworld in which Frank Warwick describes a fairly complicated affair he calls the Pulley Rig. So I tied one up, put it on one rod and hooked a fish (which was subsequently lost in heavy weed). So the rig worked but would I have hooked it on my usual rig? Therein lies the problem!

I think the general view that you should stick to simple rigs which work for you is absolutely correct.

It is quite good fun to play around with rigs during the fishless hours of a long session though. On my latest session I had a copy of the May edition of Carpworld in which Frank Warwick describes a fairly complicated affair he calls the Pulley Rig. So I tied one up, put it on one rod and hooked a fish (which was subsequently lost in heavy weed). So the rig worked but would I have hooked it on my usual rig? Therein lies the problem!

Can't argue for keeping it simple any better than Ouch', Tony and Tryzard :wink:

There is very little need to tie up super complicated rigs in most cases, there is a lot more that can go wrong.

The majority of my fishing since the early 90's has been with a basic Line Aligned or knotless knotted rig. To me the only things that I really need to change for most of my fishing is the Hair or rig length (both of which I believe are covered in The Rig Tying Stickies section).

The most important thing is actually getting location right, and as Alan has said, would a basic rig in the same position as his Pulley rig have gotten the same take.

Get your location and feeding right and then the fish will often prove that simples is best.

Does this help any?

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9536

It is a fairly long thread with extensive ideas, experiments and opinions.

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose another question would be what constitues a complicated rig, I now use a chod rig very often, even when fishing over gravel (during day light hours) purely because I have found the set up up of the actual stiff rig seems to nail carp like ive never known a rig nail carp before. I dont belive Ive ever been done by a carpon this rig, as oppsed to a standard knotless knot which despite the fact that I rate it highly and have had some good fish on it, i know I have been done a few times as well.

Yet I found the hastle of tying and connecting leadcore etcl. to my mainline somuch more frustrating the just setting up a lead clip. I dont know is a chod rig a complicated rig!!?? Ijust know I have a lot of confidence in it and thats probably the most important thing

Hello u can probably guess what this thread is about. I've been carpin for about 6 years now but only have i just started 24 hr sessions so i thought id get my head into a few books. i already know rigs that work well for me and i use them all the time as im not so sure theres much point in using complicated methods yet why do all the mags and books suggest it? i mean i have just bought the fox guide to modern carp fishing and they say there rigs are simple but there really not.... one rig had the hooklink tied to a swivel with an added ring (on the hooklink end) and the other end of the swivel was attached to the hook (the hook was not directly connected to the hooklink) then the bait was attached to the hook with floss D-Rig style with 2 pieces of putty on the hook to stop it going to far up or down the shaft. I mean this doesnt sound simple to me at all. Why have an extra ring on the swivel? why have the swivel connect to the hook in the first place? and why do hooks come in different shapes (Eg wide gape/long shank)? WHY WHY WHY!!?

You mean this one ? I quite liked the look of it.

rig1.jpg

Hello u can probably guess what this thread is about. I've been carpin for about 6 years now but only have i just started 24 hr sessions so i thought id get my head into a few books. i already know rigs that work well for me and i use them all the time as im not so sure theres much point in using complicated methods yet why do all the mags and books suggest it? i mean i have just bought the fox guide to modern carp fishing and they say there rigs are simple but there really not.... one rig had the hooklink tied to a swivel with an added ring (on the hooklink end) and the other end of the swivel was attached to the hook (the hook was not directly connected to the hooklink) then the bait was attached to the hook with floss D-Rig style with 2 pieces of putty on the hook to stop it going to far up or down the shaft. I mean this doesnt sound simple to me at all. Why have an extra ring on the swivel? why have the swivel connect to the hook in the first place? and why do hooks come in different shapes (Eg wide gape/long shank)? WHY WHY WHY!!?

rig1.jpg

just a 360 isn't it ?

good rig but again in the right situation

have fun and keep up the tying, it's good to experiment now and then and the above rig really isn't that tricky to tie like them all a couple of goes and you soon will pick it up.

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose another question would be what constitues a complicated rig, I now use a chod rig very often, even when fishing over gravel (during day light hours) purely because I have found the set up up of the actual stiff rig seems to nail carp like ive never known a rig nail carp before. I dont belive Ive ever been done by a carpon this rig, as oppsed to a standard knotless knot which despite the fact that I rate it highly and have had some good fish on it, i know I have been done a few times as well.

Yet I found the hastle of tying and connecting leadcore etcl. to my mainline somuch more frustrating the just setting up a lead clip. I dont know is a chod rig a complicated rig!!?? Ijust know I have a lot of confidence in it and thats probably the most important thing

What exaclty is a chod rig?

rig1.jpg

just a 360 isn't it ?

have fun and keep up the tying, it's good to experiment now and then and the above rig really isn't that tricky to tie like them all a couple of goes and you soon will pick it up.

Ye thats the one lol whats the point tho i mean how will this catch me a carp more than say a normal knotless knot rig set up? ppl say its for the right situation but they dont say what these situations are. Can u help?

rig1.jpg

just a 360 isn't it ?

Ye thats the one lol whats the point tho i mean how will this catch me a carp more than say a normal knotless knot rig set up? ppl say its for the right situation but they dont say what these situations are. Can u help?

Look at your fishing, FORGET the rigs published in many of the magazines, and consider are you catching? where are you hooking the fish? are you getting hookpulls? and how does the hooklink behave in the water or on the lakebed? How are the fish feeding?

Have a read of these:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9536

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37416

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41886

thanks mate ill have a look at those links later, i think im gonna create a log of all the new rigs and tactics i use as well as lake info, this should help me remember what i can do to get more catches

In most cases about the only thing you need as a rig, is a basic knotless knotted or line aligned hook and hair, (some hook patterns DO NOT flip in with a knotless knot) rig that you can tie. Then if you have problems with hooking, or not or hookpulls you can change and adapt by playing with the hair or rig length. Also don't forget that how you feed or bait up and put in free offerings may have some effect on a rig behaviour. That is down to YOU to develop your own style. :wink:

Find a suitable hooklink material for you and the lakebed (!), but remember that you will have to possibily change this hooklink material depending on what you fish over as the various areas or lake you fish changes.

Those links above should help you immensely, but remember, MOST rigs are only confusing, because WE make them so. We fish the same every time, bait up same, cast the same, to the same features. When the fish get wary of that feeding situation, that area, that same lead set-up, then we change the rig, its the rig fault, not our own.

I've used this rig pretty much from 1994 to now, although I've used a fresh hook a few times and a fresh piece of braid a couple more, its the same rig :wink::lol::lol:

Linealigner.jpg

Why change what works? I'm comfortable with it, as are the fish in MOST waters

Rigs are only as confusing as you allow them to be. :wink:

thanks mate ill have a look at those links later, i think im gonna create a log of all the new rigs and tactics i use as well as lake info, this should help me remember what i can do to get more catches

In most cases about the only thing you need as a rig, is a basic knotless knotted or line aligned hook and hair, (some hook patterns DO NOT flip in with a knotless knot) rig that you can tie. Then if you have problems with hooking, or not or hookpulls you can change and adapt by playing with the hair or rig length. Also don't forget that how you feed or bait up and put in free offerings may have some effect on a rig behaviour. That is down to YOU to develop your own style. :wink:

Find a suitable hooklink material for you and the lakebed (!), but remember that you will have to possibily change this hooklink material depending on what you fish over as the various areas or lake you fish changes.

Those links above should help you immensely, but remember, MOST rigs are only confusing, because WE make them so. We fish the same every time, bait up same, cast the same, to the same features. When the fish get wary of that feeding situation, that area, that same lead set-up, then we change the rig, its the rig fault, not our own.

I've used this rig pretty much from 1994 to now, although I've used a fresh hook a few times and a fresh piece of braid a couple more, its the same rig :wink::lol::lol:

Linealigner.jpg

Why change what works? I'm comfortable with it, as are the fish in MOST waters

Rigs are only as confusing as you allow them to be. :wink:

I agree all the fish iv caught have been on simple rigs it just seems im missing out sometimes on more fish with the complicated rigs. Guess its more of a marketing product than anything else