find carp spots

23 minutes ago, yonny said:

Your eyes are your most important bit of tackle mate 👀

Spot on that 👆👀

The only way to find where the carp are naturally feeding is to be watching from before first light IMO, last 2 trips the feeding activity ended by 6am from first light.  Miss it and you're clueless it happened.  Effort = reward which is this case is understanding exactly whats going on whilst most others sleep.

3 hours ago, framey said:

The top 2 posts have it nailed down 

only thing to add is jumping fish do not necessarily mean feeding fish.

9 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Spot on that 👆👀

The only way to find where the carp are naturally feeding is to be watching from before first light IMO, last 2 trips the feeding activity ended by 6am from first light.  Miss it and you're clueless it happened.  Effort = reward which is this case is understanding exactly whats going on whilst most others sleep.

10 hours ago, yonny said:

Your eyes are your most important bit of tackle mate 👀

Think that says almost everything.

Most anglers who walk round a lake choose the middle of the day, yet have missed the first light shows, or have gone before the dusk/dark shows.

I HATE mornings, yet when I was fishing Alton Water to find the fish I had to be there an hour before first light to find the fish. Not easy when you finished work at 11pm!

However on my late night shift before 2 days off, (3-11pm), I would still walk various stretches looking for fish.

On my current syndicate, binoculars are a must, shows can be tiny, just a fin breaking 200metres away, if you don't have binos you've missed it. They could also be a bit more obvious. Another thing, try to find natural food areas, look for 'thick' bubbling, rolling.

On 17/05/2024 at 09:20, Carper_1990 said:

I use a catchx pro bait boat with a fish finder and it will scan the area selected.

Once the scanning is finished, the fish spots will be marked on the screen! 

It's only scanning right under the boat not an area as such, you have to pretty much go right over them to see them.  Suspended plant matter doesn't help and gives false readings.  Eye's first, tech second IMO

4 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

It's only scanning right under the boat not an area as such, you have to pretty much go right over them to see them.  Suspended plant matter doesn't help and gives false readings.  Eye's first, tech second IMO

I've binned off all my tech this year, sold the boat, my deeper stopped working so I'm more or less a traditional angler these days, next up split canes and a pipe 😬

On 17/05/2024 at 09:20, Carper_1990 said:

I use a catchx pro bait boat with a fish finder and it will scan the area selected.

Once the scanning is finished, the fish spots will be marked on the screen! 

And what do you do if bait boats are banned on that venue?

Or even simply impractical?

Running a bait boat in between 24 sailing dinghys on a day only water on the day they have their tattoo...

Not every feeding spot is going to show up on a fish finder; some feeding depressions fill up with silt again, only knowing it is slightly softer than the surrounding area will tell you it's a carp spot. Holes under the weed, a fish finder is going to be screwed looking through that, yet my eyes can see the froth and bubbles coming up.

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

And what do you do if bait boats are banned on that venue?

Or even simply impractical?

Running a bait boat in between 24 sailing dinghys on a day only water on the day they have their tattoo...

Not every feeding spot is going to show up on a fish finder; some feeding depressions fill up with silt again, only knowing it is slightly softer than the surrounding area will tell you it's a carp spot. Holes under the weed, a fish finder is going to be screwed looking through that, yet my eyes can see the froth and bubbles coming up.

When I used my boat I always knew the "wraps" (12ft) to the spots, so if the Oxford vs Cambridge boat race did happen to pass through or boats suddenly got banned, I could always cast to the spots. And you still feel for a drop with the boat so you know what substrate feels like, only you also get a much more accurate baiting spread at the same time. Bit of a win win really. 

15 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've binned off all my tech this year, sold the boat, my deeper stopped working so I'm more or less a traditional angler these days, next up split canes and a pipe 😬

No cheating for you then lol

Not taken mine since a social last year as not needed, however I have recently identified an area of massive interest to me where I will need the boat as no casting headroom whatsoever and I'm not opening it up for all to see.  Cheat time!

20 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

No cheating for you then lol

Not taken mine since a social last year as not needed, however I have recently identified an area of massive interest to me where I will need the boat as no casting headroom whatsoever and I'm not opening it up for all to see.  Cheat time!

I'm sure I can find a stroke to pull somehow. They are banned on a couple of the lakes I fish so I couldn't use one anyway but if the need came and I felt it beneficial I would definately use one, not cheating just making use of a tool, good angling I say 

On 22/05/2024 at 11:33, elmoputney said:

only you also get a much more accurate baiting spread at the same time. Bit of a win win really. 

Everything in a PVA bag works for me, even if I do have to recast 3 times after pike decided to get in on the act...

On 21/05/2024 at 20:41, elmoputney said:

so I'm more or less a traditional angler these days, next up split canes and a pipe 😬

I'll get you a smoking jacket and slippers