Alternative to spinner rig

callum23

Hinged stiff rig? 

I’ve gone back to the faithful hinged stiff rig after using spinner rigs, I tie the bristle filament (hook section) to the swivel/loop first then use a whipping knot to tie the stiff rigger hook on, this way I find it much easier to get the hook section the size I require. I like my pop ups sitting low if I can. 

42 minutes ago, callum23 said:

Thanks for the reply, I’ve had a look at the hinge stiff rig but like being to change the hook nice and quick, think I’m going to try a multi rig but with a stiff section by the hook

Hi Callum

You beat me to it as I use a Multi Rig with ESP Semi Stiff .

Julian Cundiff has a video clip on the Multi Rig with his slight tweaks .

I'd be interested to read your results using this rig if you wanted to post them .

😃

1 hour ago, crusian said:

Hi Callum

You beat me to it as I use a Multi Rig with ESP Semi Stiff .

Julian Cundiff has a video clip on the Multi Rig with his slight tweaks .

I'd be interested to read your results using this rig if you wanted to post them .

😃

Yes I’ll certainly post some results, just ordered a few bits to tie a couple rigs up so will let you know!

On 31/03/2024 at 19:22, callum23 said:

Hi guys looking for a bit of advice, looking to move away from spinner rigs as they are potentially going to be banned at the fisheries I go to. Need recommendations on a new pop up rig please? 

On 31/03/2024 at 21:58, salokcinnodrog said:

I was absolutely shattered yesterday, 4 hours sleep on Saturday night so just added the link rather than give a full and proper answer, however the link does contain some of my sneaks.

I use a bog standard coated braid, with the hook tied on, and a rig ring sliding on the shank or knotless knotted with the rig ring tied on, and both weighted with olivettes.

I'd best give construction details for both:

The first is obviously a rig ring sliding on the hook shank stopped opposite the barb by a hook bead. I tie the hook on.

The olivette is the smallest required to 'sink' the pop-up, and is held in place by the shrink tube over the eye of the hook and silicon tubing, or totally inside the shrink tube. 

The second rig is a rig ring tied to the end of the coated braid, and the hook knotless knotted on. Position the rig ring in best position, I find so the bait is tight to the bend.

I then hold olivette in place exactly the same as previous rig.

Most of my pop-ups, the hooks are fished resting  on the lakebed, but if you need to fish higher in the water, the silicon tubing will allow that, and a line aligner is perfect.

https://www.tackle-up.co.uk/drennan-polemaster-lock-slide-olivettes-full-range.ir

I also play with multi-rigs, but my pop-ups are trimmed so the weight of the hook is enough to hold them down, usually when I'm fishing over a bed of particles.

6 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Multi - used nothing else for 5 years - IMO better than a spinner in several ways 👍

I agree with @kevtaylor, it's advantages are in it can be used for bottom baits, pop-ups and snowman as well as critically balanced. If you use it for bottom baits, just tie the hair slightly longer with a bit of a gap between bait and hook. 

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I like a spinner rig, if they were banned I would probably go Julian cundiff themed multi rig but I would be somewhat disgruntled because spinners work a treat for me if it ain't broke. IMG_20230504_134131_edit_220873101000150.thumb.jpg.753fc98d1850495fb9e11f3cf9324d2f.jpg

Could …

Do away with the swivel section 

put the line through the hook and tie it off with the loop

cut Down the tail rubber so it leaves the eye exposed for the free movement 👍

Won’t be full 360 but hey ho 

or just use 360 rig

Edited by framey

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I like a spinner rig, if they were banned I would probably go Julian cundiff themed multi rig but I would be somewhat disgruntled because spinners work a treat for me if it ain't broke. IMG_20230504_134131_edit_220873101000150.thumb.jpg.753fc98d1850495fb9e11f3cf9324d2f.jpg

Whilst I cant deny it's a great rig, all that extra metalwork and sleeve put me right off, My multi uses none of it, just a hook screw and putty and stripped braid turns as good as any swivel for the joint part IMO.  I've taken to using 25lb stiff material for the hook loop keeps the hook in place and as doubled over acts like a hook extension.  You've also got to consider the ptfe coated swivels coz normal ones rust and dont turn great after a while.  The mechanics and shape of the rig are exactly the same, but if anything you can get a multi even lower.

9 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

I've taken to using 25lb stiff material for the hook loop keeps the hook in place and as doubled over acts like a hook extension.

I was using Amnesia in 25lb for a high pop-up version I was using with counterweight UNDER the swivel boom join.

Produced one of the originals last year that had never slipped up before.

3 hours ago, framey said:

Could …

Do away with the swivel section 

put the line through the hook and tie it off with the loop

cut Down the tail rubber so it leaves the eye exposed for the free movement 👍

Won’t be full 360 but hey ho 

or just use 360 rig

it's taken me a long time to get this rig the way I want it, I've now got it as good as I can IMO materials, length etc for me it just works and I don't feel the need to change it. If I want it lower I cut the ring off and use a wide gape, if not I use a J precision long gape this hook pattern is brilliant, even confident now using it in barbless if required. 

Everytime I mess with another rig it just isn't as good, multi rigs whilst ive used them a lot ,they can sit there all night having been sprung without a bleep, you can't attach a mesh bag and cast it, they arent as versatile probably better if using a boat /pole/or close range,but i know that will be sitting pretty with a half decent drop.