Specialized Hookbaits

Hello,

I tested these but can't really notice a difference, actually I do catch more with my standard pop ups from Sticky and Dynamite. Is there some trick I have missed?
I asked for advice on another forum but got banned. They also deleted posts from other forum members who had similar experiences? 

I've tried them, and caught.

I don't think though that they are any better or worse than other 'specials', and for the price I'd stick with my own spiced garlic pop-ups.

What catches fish is location and confidence.

I've got confidence in my own spiced garlic, so much so that I gave the recipe to a bait company; they hated making them, they stink, but sold so many until they eventually went down that I was on a nice little earner, in terms of I never had to pay for mine.

Location, if you are fishing SHB baits where the fish go, they might be enough to provoke a take. It might be that it's more attractive than your normal bait, that's for you to decide.

You aren't the only person who has been banned from there...

I am a bit of a statistics nerd so I did compare them to my normal baits over nearly 9 months. I did catch ok on them but almost 30% less than on my trusted popups from the bigger companies.
I guess I got a bit carried away by the description of them being described as "carp drugs" and all the fantastic stories. I guess they at least are good at promoting :-D

I did tell my story on a Facebook bait group and it seems half the members are banned from there 😂
Apparently you are only allowed to speak about certain companies and never question the "special guy"

11 hours ago, yonny said:

What approach did you take? Over boiled baits? If so what kind?

It depend of the time of year. But mostly over 20 mm boilies spread out over a wider area. Usually a Dutch brand fish/krill freezer boilie, but it varies. I have also used more sweet boilies like Sticky Manilla. It depends on the lake and previous experience on what work best. Also single hookbaits in shorter session in the winter.  

3 minutes ago, DavidDutch said:

fish/krill freezer boilie....... Sticky Manilla.

Maybe just that your usual hookbaits are a better match for the given situation i.e. more readily taken over the chosen freebies 🤷‍♂️

I found they worked well as singles and over alternative baits. I rarely use boiled baits nowadays so probs not best placed to comment.

38 minutes ago, yonny said:

Maybe just that your usual hookbaits are a better match for the given situation i.e. more readily taken over the chosen freebies 🤷‍♂️

I found they worked well as singles and over alternative baits. I rarely use boiled baits nowadays so probs not best placed to comment.

Yes, and the tactic and the chosen hookbaits have proved good over several years in the lakes so it is natural. But when I read about the Specialized Hookbaits on the Carpforum it came out as they were gamechangers.  No wonder when they ban those who write something else 🤣😂

18 hours ago, framey said:

Best off not to put down another forum and the way they work, every forum has its quirks with the way it’s run

be the better man..

Yes, I get it. I will stick to the ones where there is some level of free speech.  Shame they are few and far between. 

I like the look of those SHB the bespoke ones, but most if not all of my angling is match the hatch, just the thought of not having the same as my loose bait on the hook is a horrifying what if? Session.

The other forum?.... yeah I have had a look and shut the door on my way out, I sacked Facebook after receiving a random message that was a bit testy over the pic of a carp I put up on the group... "that's my peg"...lol what the heck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2024 at 00:01, salokcinnodrog said:

I've tried them, and caught.

I don't think though that they are any better or worse than other 'specials', and for the price I'd stick with my own spiced garlic pop-ups.

What catches fish is location and confidence.

I've got confidence in my own spiced garlic, so much so that I gave the recipe to a bait company; they hated making them, they stink, but sold so many until they eventually went down that I was on a nice little earner, in terms of I never had to pay for mine.

Location, if you are fishing SHB baits where the fish go, they might be enough to provoke a take. It might be that it's more attractive than your normal bait, that's for you to decide.

agree 100%!

i'll tell ya my experience with the s2, a couple of years ago i was really struggling, and came across s2's and the info on that forum, got suckered into the hype and buying 2 pots, the reason i say this is cos i should of known better as i've been a home roller for over 30 yrs!

i continued to struggle, it was just a period we all go through (blanking) at 1 time or another, AND it wasn't until another old-skool angler told me ya gotta just go through it, (blanking) ...anyway i was in Morrisons doing some evening shopping and they had "Bacon Grill" on special offer, i thought this was a devastating bait back in the day, what have i got to lose lol

next trip 1 rod with "Bacon Grill" AND early morning the rod screamed off, lovey mid-twenty in the net!

went back to my home-made caught a few up until winter (stopped using s2's & haven't used 'em since, as i have 100% confidence in my home-made) - posted similar to this and got banned at that forum!

i agree for some it works and gives them confidence,great! but why can't you have a balanced discussion?

Edited by rob79

• 4 weeks later...

Having used them for about 2 years now I have caught on them. Cant say if it's more than normal but I've had most of my fish in this period on them. Both the s2 and GPB2. 

You still have to put them in the right place. If anyone decides that it's the bait's fault they haven't caught I would give your head a wobble. that goes for any bait. You just didn't put it in the right place at the right time. There is so many variables in fishing to ever be able to nail it to one single reason you didn't catch. You can only blame yourself for wrong decisions. Wrong rig, wrong hookbait, wrong spot, poor line lay, too noisy, wrong baiting approach, too many casts, etc. Throw in the variables out of our control such as temperature, weather, light, pH, water quality, spawning fish, natural food, oxygen levels. And then add the other angling pressure and what they are up to. These things change daily, hourly even. To say it's your hookbaits thats at fault is ridiculous to be honest. 

The sheer amount of results that come to SHB means you cant deny they work and work very well. 

I saw your posts in the other forum, you came across as a troll with some very poor timing as there had been some stuff go on literally hours previous to your posts doing the company down. I believe I told you that at the time. You may still be a troll who knows. Plenty banned from there for their part in rows, you played your part in getting yourself banned. I've been banned myself from there twice. Not sure why people think they get banned for no reason tbh. Have some accountability for your own actions. Ironic that you believe you did nothing wrong and got banned & that you blame SHB for reduced catch rates and it was nothing you did yourself! 

Thought I recognised some of the bait names in this thread.  Got sucked in by the hype around these baits, bought some and instantly thought they looked rubbish - haven't given them the time of day tbh and won't be, massive chunks of cork, badly hand rolled, just over hyped, over priced.  Would I have caught more on these than my bait  matching pop-ups and NS1's, can't see it.

Screenshot_20240410_112607_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3fd321db20fb4bae8c1d0ebb3dbd8d32.jpg

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

The sheer amount of results that come to SHB means you cant deny they work and work very well. 

All hookbaits work, but are they better than other hookbaits and worth a premium price?  Impossible to say isn't it, I felt I believed the hype as usual and felt foolish after. 🤷‍♂️ Almost £20 for some chunks of cork and paste, not convinced.

2 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

All hookbaits work, but are they better than other hookbaits and worth a premium price?  Impossible to say isn't it, I felt I believed the hype as usual and felt foolish after. 🤷‍♂️ Almost £20 for some chunks of cork and paste, not convinced.

It has inspired me to look at doing my own hookbaits with cork granules though. Just need to get round to it...could be a while! 

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

It has inspired me to look at doing my own hookbaits with cork granules though. Just need to get round to it...could be a while! 

Worth doing if it gives you extra confidence, granules will give a better and more consistent result 😎👍

8 minutes ago, yonny said:

I think it's an advantage!

It's the huge chunks for me, found them difficult to screw on without feeling that they were going to split, too inconsistent.

Odd shapes are the best - when we got the rolling wrong we ended up with pillow shapes - these were the best IMO

48 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

It's the huge chunks for me, found them difficult to screw on without feeling that they were going to split, too inconsistent.

I pierce mine so they dont bother me. If anything they feel more secure with the large chunks for me. Funny how the attachment you use can change your view on something so drastically! 

I would keep buying them but at £20 a pot is the reason I'm looking down the making my own route. Basemix from my bait guy and I can add to it and do what I want then. Probably cost me less than £20 a tub but I havent worked that out yet!