Can bait boat really up catch rate?

Leegii

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I wonder if those of us don't use bait boats for whatever reason 'develop' or use other skills?

I learnt to get very tight casting to my marker float, the cast wasn't good enough unless I splashed the float with my lead, and I rarely clipped up back then. 

At Taverham, one 'identified' gravel spot under the corner of the island used to actually be quite silty, but regularly feeding bait got it lovely and clear, down to 'bedrock' gravel with no silt on top as the fish fed on it.

To start with you'd get a donk through the silt onto the gravel, and as it got clearer you would get less pull back on the marker lead, and get that real billiard ball bounce.

After a few weeks of pressure it switched off until the silt came back.

I did have that advantage of using a boat usually every week or so as I did regularly go out for the occasional overcast lead or spod in a tree, and a couple of hot summers between 1991 and 1994 saw shallow gravel bars reach the surface as the water level dropped. 

I've never really been Terry Edmonds at casting, but I can still cast accurately enough and am finding I have to push myself to cast further more often and I still like to cast sometimes and with the use of 12ft wrapping sticks I can get it to land where I want it too, and sometimes I still just use a marker or lead to determine the bottom especially if I know the swim, sometimes I just use the boat and deeper because it's more stealthy or a good quick way of finding interesting spots without thrashing the water to a foam. 

I used to catch fish before I got a boat and like to think I still would. I've also  caught some nice fish this year not always with the boat, so not quite sure what skills I may have lost? I've also been trying to fish different areas of the lake this year to build a better overall picture (i now have spots in atleast 10 swims) if anything I think I am getting better these days. 

4 hours ago, framey said:

I’m seriously considering getting AT 2  for my boat 

AT (Active Target) right? I didn't know that was available for bait boats tbh, will have to check it out, that's Lowrence isn't it? 

Used it on the rowing boats with a big transducer over the side, two screens, one each, trolling motor with spot lock, brilliant day out and amazing technology, you can tell the difference between pike and zander.  So glad I've done those days with him it's been valuable, I could feel more confident taking on a bigger challenge maybe including boat work.  Plus I'm not petrified at being over 70+feet of water anywhere near as much.👀

I kind of understand side scan now to, that took ages to get my head around but so interesting alongside the normal downward view.

Edited by kevtaylor

On 03/10/2023 at 18:31, elmoputney said:

I used to catch fish before I got a boat and like to think I still would. I've also  caught some nice fish this year not always with the boat, so not quite sure what skills I may have lost? I've also been trying to fish different areas of the lake this year to build a better overall picture (i now have spots in atleast 10 swims) if anything I think I am getting better these days. 

Not practising my long distance casting is one skill I've lost. I'm not as proficient as I was at Nazeing, where long casting was the norm or his best mate, and that is without a bait boat!

I don't know if you have seen it, but I did a hand drawn map of Earith Virginia, Reed Lake and Pats Pool, with as many features as I could find; islands, the gravel bars,  overhangs, plateaus and even the surrounding trees, shrubs, bushes and reeds. Everything was found with a marker float, and it took me around a week to work my way round the whole of Virginia and Reeds, along with a sneak along the Drove bank. Pats was easy, although I did only ever floater fish it.

I guess feeling everything and getting depths with the lead and marker float was my biggest skill, and it's one of my still in use tactics.

I can still remember various favourite lakes in my head; gravel bars, shape, particular swims and features from as much as over 30years ago!

SCARY!

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Not practising my long distance casting is one skill I've lost. I'm not as proficient as I was at Nazeing, where long casting was the norm or his best mate, and that is without a bait boat!

I don't know if you have seen it, but I did a hand drawn map of Earith Virginia, Reed Lake and Pats Pool, with as many features as I could find; islands, the gravel bars,  overhangs, plateaus and even the surrounding trees, shrubs, bushes and reeds. Everything was found with a marker float, and it took me around a week to work my way round the whole of Virginia and Reeds, along with a sneak along the Drove bank. Pats was easy, although I did only ever floater fish it.

I guess feeling everything and getting depths with the lead and marker float was my biggest skill, and it's one of my still in use tactics.

I can still remember various favourite lakes in my head; gravel bars, shape, particular swims and features from as much as over 30years ago!

SCARY!

You have to remember I also don't get the luxury of fishing a week Infact I've only had one 48 hour session this year bar the social and I had the kids and dog with me. Normally I get there sometime in the afternoon and pack up in the morning. Time isn't a luxury I possess, I basically get to fit in where I can and try and make it count. That's when the boat and deeper comes in very handy, as constant leading and spombing would spoil most of the chances before I even got them. Like I've said I still largely check spots with a lead or marker I just don't have to cast 50 times to find them. and I always feel for a drop even from the boat. 

Other boat advantages include being able to bait very tight and very heavy and very quickly. I can drop off 3kg of bait on a literal dustbin lid, to spod that much, fatigue might set in and one or two might go astray and that may take slightly longer to get a bite. Sometimes I will make a sweet spot in the middle of a wider spread of bait, kind of like a bullseye with all roads leading to it. There is so much you can actually do with one. something else I do is bait tight to a marker with it and then put a rod either side on the edges. I like to cast these as its less of a faff and quite satisfying. 

Prebaiting with a boat, gamechanger, chances are you will get noticed spombing out kilos of bait and also it takes ages, 1 bucket of bait in a boat is probably 3 trips out and you have quickly prepped for next time  (accurately) and with discretion even in the dead of night. 

I never used to like boats either, but now I can really see the advantage,sometimes it's good to move with the times a little and I'm still only scratching the surface with what it can do. 

11 hours ago, elmoputney said:

You have to remember I also don't get the luxury of fishing a week Infact I've only had one 48 hour session this year bar the social and I had the kids and dog with me. Normally I get there sometime in the afternoon and pack up in the morning. Time isn't a luxury I possess, I basically get to fit in where I can and try and make it count. That's when the boat and deeper comes in very handy, as constant leading and spombing would spoil most of the chances before I even got them. Like I've said I still largely check spots with a lead or marker I just don't have to cast 50 times to find them. and I always feel for a drop even from the boat. 

Other boat advantages include being able to bait very tight and very heavy and very quickly. I can drop off 3kg of bait on a literal dustbin lid, to spod that much, fatigue might set in and one or two might go astray and that may take slightly longer to get a bite. Sometimes I will make a sweet spot in the middle of a wider spread of bait, kind of like a bullseye with all roads leading to it. There is so much you can actually do with one. something else I do is bait tight to a marker with it and then put a rod either side on the edges. I like to cast these as its less of a faff and quite satisfying. 

Prebaiting with a boat, gamechanger, chances are you will get noticed spombing out kilos of bait and also it takes ages, 1 bucket of bait in a boat is probably 3 trips out and you have quickly prepped for next time  (accurately) and with discretion even in the dead of night. 

I never used to like boats either, but now I can really see the advantage,sometimes it's good to move with the times a little and I'm still only scratching the surface with what it can do. 

It really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks 

your fishing and how you choose to angle for them is your choice alone

i have a bait boat and have never used it in England, mainly because the waters I fish do not allow them.

that means I still have to be able to cast and feature find so it will never be a forgotten part of fishing for me

some of the day tickets I fish you will be on a loser if you don’t use them 

I just choose not to.simply,because to me my fishing isnt a numbers game 

couldn’t think of anything worse than fishing the Tom maker style

50 fish a day would be so boring to me…

Edited by framey

59 minutes ago, framey said:

It really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks 

your fishing and how you choose to angle for them is your choice alone

i have a bait boat and have never used it in England, mainly because the waters I fish do not allow them.

that means I still have to be able to cast and feature find so it will never be a forgotten part of fishing for me

some of the day tickets I fish you will be on a loser if you don’t use them 

I just choose not to.simply,because to me my fishing isnt a numbers game 

couldn’t think of anything worse than fishing the Tom maker style

50 fish a day would be so boring to me…

I think with a sonar feature finding becomes even more important tbh as you can really find some different spots, there are always the ones in most swims you can tell everyone uses because they are firm and large finding the smaller ones where you have seen them fizzing I've found to be the holy grail this year, I've found a few like this that aren't clear but with a bit of prebaiting become small but mighty dinner plates. 

One of the lakes I can fish I once caught 10 in 24 hours, I've not fished it since was exhausting 😂 I think the key is enjoyment, I am always the first to congratulate people when they catch a good one, whatever method you are using it's usually taken a lot of effort or some good angling. Some people have time, I just try and do the best with the time I have, and I like to make the most of it. 👍

23 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Quite enjoy using a spomb, some of reservoirs I fish I'll be putting 5kg+ of boilie out every 24 hours, even more if I'm using particles 🤣

I'm sure sometimes that spomb hitting the water is like a dinner bell because I've had quite a few takes while I'm baiting up 🤔🤣

I also enjoy spombing bait out, the plop of the catapult is my favourite way to bait though. But boats are quicker quiter, more accurate and less messy 😂

49 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Quite enjoy using a spomb, some of reservoirs I fish I'll be putting 5kg+ of boilie out every 24 hours, even more if I'm using particles 🤣

I'm sure sometimes that spomb hitting the water is like a dinner bell because I've had quite a few takes while I'm baiting up 🤔🤣

38 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I think with a sonar feature finding becomes even more important tbh as you can really find some different spots, there are always the ones in most swims you can tell everyone uses because they are firm and large finding the smaller ones where you have seen them fizzing I've found to be the holy grail this year, I've found a few like this that aren't clear but with a bit of prebaiting become small but mighty dinner plates. 

One of the lakes I can fish I once caught 10 in 24 hours, I've not fished it since was exhausting 😂 I think the key is enjoyment, I am always the first to congratulate people when they catch a good one, whatever method you are using it's usually taken a lot of effort or some good angling. Some people have time, I just try and do the best with the time I have, and I like to make the most of it. 👍

Yesterday thawed about about 3kg Particle for tomorrow, added the A Force Liquid to it for attraction.....question is to Spod or Boat out 🤔🤔🤔

Gonna look at the Park Lake 1st, but only 6 fishable pegs on there, and with the weather tomorrow n weekend, I think will be full (this lake would be boat job), then 2nd is the club lake (more or less guaranteed bites, but small ens) Spodding place this.

17 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I used to have one, in the days of Broadland Bait Boats. When I was working at a fire alarm company they used to buy their sealed lead acid batteries from me, so I got a deal...

I actually got put off bait boats by how far it pushed me closer to 'dangerous' fishing, too far under trees, at silly long ranges (I used to play with electronics and radio signals, (my dad was a radio amateur and television broadcast engineer) so I had come up with some tweaks).

It was physically seeing how far tree roots can come out from the islands, during low water and realising I'd been fishing miles too close.

Most of the waters I fish simply don't allow them, so that with my choice not to use them makes life easy for me.

5 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I think with a sonar feature finding becomes even more important tbh as you can really find some different spots, there are always the ones in most swims you can tell everyone uses

Not sure on that though as I try not to fish the obvious features, or even swims.

Taverham was a case in point; most anglers would fish to the islands, or big obvious gravel bars, and from the 'usual' swims. I used to prefer the swim to the right of the plateau swim which was the entrance to the backwater channel, and cast to a fallen tree trunk rather than the corner or gravel bar a little further up. On Cowtail point, most people aimed to the corner of the island, but my aiming point was left towards the lily pads, where a gravel bar had a gully across it.

On 03/10/2023 at 16:15, kevtaylor said:

Do you think that because I've recently bought a baitboat with excellent sonar that somehow you're better at casting and feature finding than me?

I'm as good as I've ever been in that regard yet now I have extra info available if I want it.

The question is can they catch you more fish and the answer is a firm YES, there was no casting to the spot I caught from at Ashmire so it's a bonus fish, could have been more as I lost a few, and it shows stuff manual casting can never show. I.e undercut drop offs, fish, branches, sunken boats etc  and the extra range, extra stealth, ability to go under overhangs.....

100 % I even said at the time ... that was definitely a fish I couldn't  of caught  , plus the other takes you had .  

Most of my fishing these days is exclusive bookings with mates .... normally 4 of us . Its split 50/50 with 2 of us not using bait boats & 2 that do .  From my experience  & all the info gathered  between us over the past decade or so . A bait boat will only catch you more fish if you know what your doing in the first place .  & can be an awesome bit of kit . 

If your a noddy your still be a noddy just with a bait boat 😁 

Regarding certain comments about having more skills etc .... you could spin that around & say an angler with a bait boat & all the sonar etc & knows how to use it,  has developed more skills . 

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Not sure on that though as I try not to fish the obvious features, or even swims.

Taverham was a case in point; most anglers would fish to the islands, or big obvious gravel bars, and from the 'usual' swims. I used to prefer the swim to the right of the plateau swim which was the entrance to the backwater channel, and cast to a fallen tree trunk rather than the corner or gravel bar a little further up. On Cowtail point, most people aimed to the corner of the island, but my aiming point was left towards the lily pads, where a gravel bar had a gully across it.

Nick your just fishing the obvious spots in that swim lol .... fallen tree trunk / lillies/ gullies/  gravel bar /  back water channel /  sounds good to me where do we sign up 😁

1 minute ago, chillfactor said:

Nick your just fishing the obvious spots in that swim lol .... fallen tree trunk / lillies/ gullies/  gravel bar /  back water channel /  sounds good to me where do we sign up 😁

The swim itself was ignored😉, most anglers preferred the bigger double swim next door that had the plateau as its main feature.

The small swim was only just big enough for 2 rods, a brolly and bedchair, and even that was tight around a tree trunk.

Taverham is still available to fish, under the Anglian Water season or day tickets. It was originally run by Dave Plummer who managed to get some Redmire fish when that had successful spawning year, don't know if any of them remain, but they were cracking fish.

I ran it between Brian Hewitt who ran it for Malcolm Schroeder the owner, until Brian left and Anglian Water buying it. It is mentioned in John Bailey and Martyn Page's Carp: Quest for The Queen book.