Raking a swim?

jh92

I've done a bit of raking in my time I love it,ideally I like it to settle down and have had a heavy dose of prebait but if needs must I have fished it there and then  there is a guy that makes some good rakes called unique welding services his stealth rake is a great little tool tbh, by the time you've messed about getting the bits it's usually just as dear as buying one, I've actually bought one of his castable ones again this week but I also have the stealth rake its good 

https://www.uniqueweldingservices.co.uk/

10 hours ago, jh92 said:

How long should you rest a swim after raking it? My canal is caked in weed and would need to rake a swim out to fish it 🤔

Tench will move in almost as quick as you finish, and carp not long after on many waters.

Saying that, I've fished waters where raking a swim is the kiss of death ☠ 

Carp will clear the weed eating particles, but raking it is a 'No no'.

I'm on that place now!

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Tench will move in almost as quick as you finish, and carp not long after on many waters.

I'm on that place now!

I know what you mean.

I have turned fish on by using the gardener rake. They come in within 5 minutes on smaller waters. 

I've tried this numerous times on the reservoir ticket and had nothing at all. Zigs, bottom baits they stay away🤯

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm on that place now!

I have been trying to clear with particles this year only trouble is anglers seem to move in before the fish 😂

I have never raked a swim I sometimes drop a tiny rake in and draw it back a but not often. 

Anglers are too finicky over putting their rigs in weed, that nice carp I had the other week came out of spot that is 4 foot deep most of that being pond weed, no finesse or faffing just a 15 wrap cast, combis rig and a oily stick as close to the size as your rig, leave about two inches or so and put a swan shot right up to the stick and make a break in the rig coating just after the swan shot, works a treat.

2 minutes ago, Carpbell3 said:

I have never raked a swim I sometimes drop a tiny rake in and draw it back a but not often. 

Anglers are too finicky over putting their rigs in weed, that nice carp I had the other week came out of spot that is 4 foot deep most of that being pond weed, no finesse or faffing just a 15 wrap cast, combis rig and a oily stick as close to the size as your rig, leave about two inches or so and put a swan shot right up to the stick and make a break in the rig coating just after the swan shot, works a treat.

Oh I forgot, spod the granny out of it aswell.

On 02/08/2023 at 10:29, Carpbell3 said:

Oh I forgot, spod the granny out of it aswell.

Think that is what keeps drawing the annoying swans in.

I'd got the spot working, had a decent carp and a few tench off it. Now as soon as the swans move in, the fish move out.

Gonna try and create a path through this 🤣

20230718_164725.thumb.jpg.07f98b472287b7628bf18e30886aba56.jpg

Yeah I think I'll clear it, set up and start fishing. As some has mentioned, any time of baiting, raking or even looking at bits of water, you'll come back and see someone fishing it 🙄🤣

On 03/08/2023 at 23:03, salokcinnodrog said:

Think that is what keeps drawing the annoying swans in.

I'd got the spot working, had a decent carp and a few tench off it. Now as soon as the swans move in, the fish move out.

The swans are OK on this lake they don't put much effort into the hard to reach bait.

5 hours ago, jh92 said:

Yeah I think I'll clear it, set up and start fishing. As some has mentioned, any time of baiting, raking or even looking at bits of water, you'll come back and see someone fishing it 🙄🤣

I'd get over the other side and fish up to it if you can.

Did have a message on Facebook last week enquiring after spots due to the guy raking that swim previously? I didn't reply as I don't use FB other than family and that on there.

If you  rake the weed out it will only cover over again within a day or two, Almost guaranteed if I have a couple out someone pops up to tell you they farted in that very peg only there weeks back ergo a couple of nice fish came out... yeah nothing to do with me wadding out and dropping six kilo of fresh hemp straight out the bucket in one drop.

5 hours ago, jh92 said:

Wow 😳 you can walk across that…after you raked it leave a note saying that you going to fish it. Iv seen a note in a plastic bag attached to a stick saying the angler was going to fish the swim the nx day this was in the days of the closed season I walked right past even tho it looked a nice swim and obviously been feeding it ready for the opening day of the season. 

3 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

The swans are OK on this lake they don't put much effort into the hard to reach bait.

I'd get over the other side and fish up to it if you can.

Did have a message on Facebook last week enquiring after spots due to the guy raking that swim previously? I didn't reply as I don't use FB other than family and that on there.

If you  rake the weed out it will only cover over again within a day or two, Almost guaranteed if I have a couple out someone pops up to tell you they farted in that very peg only there weeks back ergo a couple of nice fish came out... yeah nothing to do with me wadding out and dropping six kilo of fresh hemp straight out the bucket in one drop.

Yeah i get you, other side is a cycle path though and it can get quite busy where as the side I took the photo from is harder to get to so not many people except fisherthem walk it.

It's annoying, there's some cracking fish in that canal but as soon as someone sees you baiting or clearing a swim they will be in it as soon as your back is turned 😒 gonna rake it and just fish for the day and see how it goes I think lol

2 hours ago, B B said:

Wow 😳 you can walk across that…after you raked it leave a note saying that you going to fish it. Iv seen a note in a plastic bag attached to a stick saying the angler was going to fish the swim the nx day this was in the days of the closed season I walked right past even tho it looked a nice swim and obviously been feeding it ready for the opening day of the season. 

Mate there's dead rabbits on it I'm sure they run off the bank onto it thinking its still grass 😭

Might be worth a try but I don't think many will listen. I happened to walk a stretch the other day and found someone baiting up and the look on his face said it all, he was gutted and asked me not to fish that spot as he's been baiting it so he could fish it for a few days the following week. As we stood talking we even seen some carp move in. I don't have it in me to do that, each to their own I suppose but the capture wouldn't seem right tbh lol.