Dug out the old tackle box…

newmarket

Hi fellas , I’ve been up in the loft and dug out my Chub smart box which is full of bit and pieces I’ll be needing to get back into this fishing lark but I’m after some advice as I dunno whether some of it will be any good after what has been pretty much a 6 year break .

im inclined to think that stuff like rig sleeves , run rings etc will be ok but what about my hooklink materials ?

it’s mostly Suffix braids & mono hooklink materials along with some fluros like Ghost . Does this stuff deteriorate over time or ja all reckon it’ll be ok ?

it’s no big deal as it isn’t/wasn’t expensive but just wondered . 
What about hooks ? I’ll need to restock as I’m running low anyway but I’ve found some B175’s some GP204’s and a few mugga’s still in the packet .

Do these deteriorate ?

By the way I like the look of these VMC Mystic hooks ? Are they new ?

anyway thanks fellas 😉

2 hours ago, newmarket said:

Hi fellas , I’ve been up in the loft and dug out my Chub smart box which is full of bit and pieces I’ll be needing to get back into this fishing lark but I’m after some advice as I dunno whether some of it will be any good after what has been pretty much a 6 year break .

im inclined to think that stuff like rig sleeves , run rings etc will be ok but what about my hooklink materials ?

it’s mostly Suffix braids & mono hooklink materials along with some fluros like Ghost . Does this stuff deteriorate over time or ja all reckon it’ll be ok ?

it’s no big deal as it isn’t/wasn’t expensive but just wondered . 
What about hooks ? I’ll need to restock as I’m running low anyway but I’ve found some B175’s some GP204’s and a few mugga’s still in the packet .

Do these deteriorate ?

By the way I like the look of these VMC Mystic hooks ? Are they new ?

anyway thanks fellas 😉

I would check the rig sleeves, the rubber or plastic deteriorates. 

The hooklink materials should be fine as should the hooks as long as they are rust free. 

The hook patterns sound familiar, my favourites! 

VMC Mystic I have used myself in the long shank inturned eye and curved patterns. They keep their sharpness for ages, and don't need touching up before use, although once the point is gone I bin them. 

5 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Half the fun is going to the tackle shop to get those new essential (non essential) items anyway, although be careful it's easy to spend too much on stuff you don't really need, I'm pretty good at that and have an overflow tackle box to prove it 😂

Walk in to get a few bits and walk out £45 lighter 😜

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I would check the rig sleeves, the rubber or plastic deteriorates. 

The hooklink materials should be fine as should the hooks as long as they are rust free. 

The hook patterns sound familiar, my favourites! 

VMC Mystic I have used myself in the long shank inturned eye and curved patterns. They keep their sharpness for ages, and don't need touching up before use, although once the point is gone I bin them. 

Walk in to get a few bits and walk out £45 lighter 😜

Most of my hook knowledge I got from you anyway Nick 🤣

I take it I should bin my 200m of PVA mesh I just found ? 

I messed about this morning trying to tie a couple of knot less knot rigs and it all came flooding back to me , I was having trouble with the line aligned though , I thought for a minute my arthritis was worse than I anticipated till I realised I was using short lengths of Tungsten tubing 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

41 minutes ago, newmarket said:

I messed about this morning trying to tie a couple of knot less knot rigs and it all came flooding back to me , I was having trouble with the line aligned though , I thought for a minute my arthritis was worse than I anticipated till I realised I was using short lengths of Tungsten tubing 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you do end up struggling with knots and rigs, gemini tackle do make some nice booms, I know you probably don't want to use a Ronnie rig or similar, but with the gemini booms they are a doddle to use, and should make it easier to keep fishing

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

If you do end up struggling with knots and rigs, gemini tackle do make some nice booms, I know you probably don't want to use a Ronnie rig or similar, but with the gemini booms they are a doddle to use, and should make it easier to keep fishing

Ok … I’ll ask … what’s a Ronnie rig when it’s at home ? 😂

2 hours ago, newmarket said:

Check the mesh, away from the ends it should be OK. 

I've had the same problem with tubing, done exactly what you did😳

Getting hold of the GP204's is impossible, I don't think that they are still available, but the Muggas are and still good. 

If you need a straight shank, I have been using Solar 101's, another hook sharp out of the packet. 

I won't get into the sharpen or not debate, I don't, and use hooks straight from the pack. 

38 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Ok … I’ll ask … what’s a Ronnie rig when it’s at home ? 😂

Ronnie Rig, 

https://gardnertackle.co.uk/gardner-fishing-videos/secret-ronnie-rig/

I think they sell Ronnie Rig hooks to the clip, just tie on your hooklink

21 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Check the mesh, away from the ends it should be OK. 

I've had the same problem with tubing, done exactly what you did😳

Getting hold of the GP204's is impossible, I don't think that they are still available, but the Muggas are and still good. 

If you need a straight shank, I have been using Solar 101's, another hook sharp out of the packet. 

I won't get into the sharpen or not debate, I don't, and use hooks straight from the pack. 

Ronnie Rig, 

That's the video I had just found 😂

These are the booms I use, I don't think I can make them this neat tbh, if you ever fish solid Pva bags their tidy stem kits are really good too 

https://www.geminicarptackle.com/tidy-booms---ronnie-with-spinner-swivels-3-1568-p.asp

13 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Ronnie Rig, 

Looks like a glorified Chod rig to me 😊

21 hours ago, framey said:

It will all be fine if stored properly 

the hook length materials just try to break them if it’s easy bin them 

no rust on the hooks then they will be fine 

I have hooks and materials over 6 years old lol

Very reassuring mate , thank you 👍🏻

14 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

don't forget the hearing trumpet modern alarms aren't as loud as they used to be, bet you still have a bag of ritchworths or two knocking about, any plans on a venue yet the small out the way day ticket lakes really have come on in the last few years not mad busy either. 

I’ve always been as deaf as a post anyway .

Do Ritchworths still happen ? 
If memory serves the orange ones were pretty good .

venues ? 
Dunno yet tbh , most of the half decent Carp lakes have turned members only or syndicate from what I can find out .

Im gonna feel my way back into slowly anyway , probably float fishing or feeder on a commercial I used to frequent over Brentwood , teach my little un the basics and see where we can go from there .

If anybody knows of anywhere in the Thurrock area maybe they can point me in the general direction . 
when I get round to overnighters and or session fishing I’ll probably hit the Chase at Dagenham till I can find somewhere nearer . 
Well run and some big fish there too .

5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Puddledock Ockenden? Might be a good day for the young'un

Alexander Lakeside?

Yeah Nick Puddledock IS a muddy puddle that is on the list .

Alexandra has been (their words) extensively poached by our Eastern European cousins and now only contains Pike & Catfish .

right up your alley 🤣

1 hour ago, crusian said:

Hello Newmarket

As Nick has intimated some of those hooks you have mentioned are classics that you would struggle to get hold of .

Why not buy  a selection of ready tied rigs and decide which you like best , then it's just 1 knot to join them to the mainline ? .

😃

I won’t say I haven’t used em before mate , because I have , but there’s a sort of satisfaction about catching a fish , ANY fish on a rig you’ve made yourself and I’ll continue to try to do that if and when I can .

I admit on the odd occasion I use a Chod rig they are ready made .

I can’t recall which ones I have , maybe ESP stiff riggers ? That rings a bell lol

Owdo mate.. sounds like you're not too far from me... the Brentwood fishery, was that Tylers Common...? Try Billericay DAS for carp venues they have a lot of nice waters, plenty of fish in nice surroundings ( only a couple available for nights though) or for a challenge theres Berners Hall reservoir 

35 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

Owdo mate.. sounds like you're not too far from me... the Brentwood fishery, was that Tylers Common...? Try Billericay DAS for carp venues they have a lot of nice waters, plenty of fish in nice surroundings ( only a couple available for nights though) or for a challenge theres Berners Hall reservoir 

Howdy fella , Grays actually . 
I used to fish at Crow Green quite a bit but the big lake used to be very hard , the others not so much .

I expect I’ll end up there again in the spring as the small lakes are always good for a bite especially if my boy seemingly wants to get into it .

I ummed and arrrred about the Billericay club for ages but it was the lack of night venues that always put me off to be honest .

I don’t drive , never have , and my Mrs or occasionally a mate would take me/pick me up etc so when I used to Carp fish I would go for 2 or 3 nights as it was always easier to arrange transport .

plus on day sessions it was time to leave by the time I got set up 😊

My Mrs getting up at 3.30 to take me fishing was never happening , she’d drop me off at the Chase in Dagenham ( where I was a member) on a Friday afternoon and come get me on Sunday or Monday .

Anyway back to venues , as I say , any half decent day tickets have now gone secret squirrel round here by all accounts .

Im looking forward to getting back into it all albeit slowly . It’ll be like a complete novice again , back to my roots and all that .

Shame there’s no decent Barbel fishing round here , that’s what I’d really like 🤣

Have a look at Berners Hall... the Res is 24 acres with a big head of fish and on a day ticket... don't bother booking a weekend though it gets rammed ( all swims booked til nov for weekends) theres also Birds Green on day ticket... Chelmsford has a lot of night venues, BUT.... they ain't cheap. And theres Ongar and District only 1 night venue and limited tickets and membership