Adam Penning back to basics video?

Dicky123

2 hours ago, Dicky123 said:

Did anyone watch this video by Adam, really brought home just how complicated we have made our carp fishing? Anyone else watch his revealing clip?

Yeh, everything was "back to basics", standard lead clip setup, knot less knot rig fished Boilies only... Most basic fishing can do. 

This is just content for the sake of content imo. On a nice clean spot a standard lead clip with a boilie on a knotless knot will perform as good as anything but when you have to deal with weed/silt/debris you'll potentially not even be fishing.

The rig and set-up should be chosen to suit the swim/spot/substrate. Simplicity is a good thing but a rig shouldn't be chosen solely for simplicity, and certainly shouldn't chosen because Adam Penning said so 🤣

31 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

I tried the Ronnie when it first came out and was convinced I was going to bag up but still found that my favoured combi rigs outperformed them

I can think of absolutely no reason why anyone would use a ronnie/spinner on a spot clean enough for a combi (other than possibly to single out bigguns). It is a given that the combi will out-fish the ronnie in clean spot scenario imo. The ronnie is to be used to suspend the hook/bait above any debris👍

Adam is a pleasant enough bloke it is a filler video though, not a enjoyable job all the time you could see that in a previous end tackle video, trying to talk up the unique selling points of lead clips, poor guy.  bet he prefers doing these sort of videos.  plus he always gets a pass from me, what a way to leave korda. 

So rather than start a new thread I thought I could jump on this one.

Sticky just bought out a new Penning Vid (Reflections | Volume Four | The Campaign). In this vid he (Adam) mentions that over the last few years he's noticing the waters he's fished are not responding to "carpy" conditions. He'll look forward to those big low pressure systems and the big winds/rain that come with them, and when they arrive the carp shut up shop(!).

I have also noticed this. This last few years the carpy conditions seem to be getting less and less special in terms of the carps response. The water I'm fishing this year is doing it big time; it has fished well when it's warm with high pressure, but when a big low pressure system rolls in on a new wind (those conditions you wait weeks for) the carp don't seem to be fussed one bit. In fact they stop showing for 24 hrs or more. Then as the conditions pass and the sun comes back out, whallop, the carp are happy again.

Tbh I though it was just the water I'm fishing but after AP mentioned it about a few waters he's fished, it made me realise that it's been happening on the last 3 waters I've fished.

So how can this be explained? Could it be the angling pressure (anglers all set up waiting on the end of the new winds)? Or could it be related to climate change and the increase in average temps? I'm struggling to come up with an answer so wondered if anyone else has noticed this or has an idea about an explanation?

On 17/08/2021 at 08:18, yonny said:

So how can this be explained? Could it be the angling pressure (anglers all set up waiting on the end of the new winds)? Or could it be related to climate change and the increase in average temps? I'm struggling to come up with an answer so wondered if anyone else has noticed this or has an idea about an explanation?

I caught well in December in low pressure conditions, but that's winter.  Thinking about this summer I think I've had the best results on normal days such as 13 takes in an overnighter, but the times I've gone because the conditions were bang on i.e. low pressure systems - I've blanked whilst thinking this is gonna be the one.

I don't keep a diary but think you could be onto something here - I mean I should always catch lol

Just now, yonny said:

Odd innit🤷‍♀️

Yeah it is - the obvious change is overall temp warming (global), not that it feels like it this year.

The busy day tickets see more pressure when conditions are low pressure, last trip I had boilies washing into my bank so too much is going in big time, could the general warming effect the water quality with so much un-eaten bait (pollution) in the lake?

Saying that what you said about the fish showing less in favorable conditions is true to my recent experiences, does low pressure affect oxygen levels?

Think you might be on to something Yonny. In the last couple of years on 3 different waters I’ve had most of my better results in ‘poor’ conditions; high pressure, warm often sunny days.  I’m not one for keeping extensive records but I also know that the moon phases have been ‘bad’ too🧐

3 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

In the last couple of years on 3 different waters I’ve had most of my better results in ‘poor’ conditions; high pressure, warm often sunny days.

It's a nightmare as I tend to have to book my time off to fish in advance. The obvious thing I look for when planning a trip is a big low front moving in but I've done miles better when those conditions haven't showed up 😅

Well done on your latest capture btw 👌

4 hours ago, yonny said:

It's a nightmare as I tend to have to book my time off to fish in advance. The obvious thing I look for when planning a trip is a big low front moving in but I've done miles better when those conditions haven't showed up 😅

Well done on your latest capture btw 👌

Cheers👍
As a Teacher my holidays are fixed so I fish mid-week during holidays and then return to odd weekends during term time. I’m a habitual watcher of the weather but in practical terms I go when I can. 

On 17/08/2021 at 08:18, yonny said:

So rather than start a new thread I thought I could jump on this one.

Sticky just bought out a new Penning Vid (Reflections | Volume Four | The Campaign). In this vid he (Adam) mentions that over the last few years he's noticing the waters he's fished are not responding to "carpy" conditions. He'll look forward to those big low pressure systems and the big winds/rain that come with them, and when they arrive the carp shut up shop(!).

I have also noticed this. This last few years the carpy conditions seem to be getting less and less special in terms of the carps response. The water I'm fishing this year is doing it big time; it has fished well when it's warm with high pressure, but when a big low pressure system rolls in on a new wind (those conditions you wait weeks for) the carp don't seem to be fussed one bit. In fact they stop showing for 24 hrs or more. Then as the conditions pass and the sun comes back out, whallop, the carp are happy again.

Tbh I though it was just the water I'm fishing but after AP mentioned it about a few waters he's fished, it made me realise that it's been happening on the last 3 waters I've fished.

It has been noticed by Shaun Harrison as well that right in the teeth of the wind is not always the place to be, but fish a swim or two off it. Rod Hutchinson also wrote about the fish backing off a new wind years ago on Savay. 

It may be pressure and everyone fishing at the end of the wind, as on the reservoir the teeth of it was the place to be when it was quite unpressured. It had to be a new wind though, not a couple of days old, although if there was bait there to hold them... 

Yet on Nazeing the fish didn't always follow a new wind. It could be better to search specific places. 

@yonny though, what about the depth of the waters? I've noticed deeper 15ft plus venues the fish often just move along or up and down the water column rather than with the wind. 

11 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

what about the depth of the waters? I've noticed deeper 15ft plus venues the fish often just move along or up and down the water column rather than with the wind. 

Not sure mate, the waters I've been fishing have deeper areas but not all over. I've not noticed them moving up or down in the water, rather a total cease in activity 🤷‍♀️