line clipping

Philw73

Hi

Im sure this has been asked many times so apologies as I couldn't find.  newish to carp fishing and using baitrunner reels.  I had my first 24 session last week and was suddenly aware that I was clipping up and then not unclipping once cast, which I guess is silly as if i got a run it would be goodbye rod if i wasnt quick enough or bye rig and fish as I wouldnt be able to play.   So, i have now invested in a 12' cord to use with some banksticks as a distance marker set up, so im guessing i will do something like:

1) cast to spot, without rig, once found clip up and then wind in to measure distance on sticks

2) cast with rig on and then unclip line.

3) if just winding in to recast, clip up again, then wind in

4) if i get a run or something else happens, I wind in, use sticks to reset clip, then cast and unclip

is that right or am i totally missing something

Thanks

Phil

5 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

I bypass step 3 and always rewrap. It may be more long winded but it's just a confidence /OCD thing!

Same here.

Once the rod is cast you take any bow out as you sink line (this is normally a minimum of 1 meter and more if the wind is getting up). By clipping up before you reel in you don't account for this so better to wrap up for each recast imo.

amazing thanks all for the replies so far, all makes sense and yes, id probably use the sticks each time in case there had been any drift etc.  also, love the idea of the marker knot too, especially if recasting at 4am!! counting might be difficult :)

I always re wrap it is more accurate I think, 👍

I forgot to take my line out the clip and got a run off an angry mid double common last year, luckily I had good butt grips which helped, but it can be hard getting the line out of the clip when it's bowstring tight with an angry carp on the end 😳

Forgetting to turn the alarms volume  back up  is something I do quite often too 😂

46 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

bypass step 3 and always rewrap. It may be more long winded but it's just a confidence /OCD thing!

I rewrap every time... So its on the spot. 

13 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I always re wrap it is more accurate I think, 👍

Forgetting to turn the alarms volume  back up  is something I do quite often too 😂

Same here... 

Instead of turn volume up or down, I've even forgot to turn em on / off. 

I’ve never clipped up in all the years I’ve been fishing. I’m showing my age now, but line clips used to be absolute pants, and I’ve done this method for that long now I’m stuck in my ways. 

Once I’ve found the area I want to place a rig, I tie a marker knot on to the mainline next to the tip eye. So, when I go for a re-cast, I’m always aiming to the same marker on the horizon, and then, listen for the marker knot “ping” as the mainline passes through the eyes on the rod. Once the knot makes its last ping, I raise the rod and feel the lead down with my fingers.

It takes a bit practice, but it does work...and no line clip mishaps 

13 minutes ago, NeilH2320 said:

I’ve never clipped up in all the years I’ve been fishing. I’m showing my age now, but line clips used to be absolute pants, and I’ve done this method for that long now I’m stuck in my ways. 

Once I’ve found the area I want to place a rig, I tie a marker knot on to the mainline next to the tip eye. So, when I go for a re-cast, I’m always aiming to the same marker on the horizon, and then, listen for the marker knot “ping” as the mainline passes through the eyes on the rod. Once the knot makes its last ping, I raise the rod and feel the lead down with my fingers.

It takes a bit practice, but it does work...and no line clip mishaps 

I had a break from fishing for a good few years, wrapping sticks were one of the inventions that happened while I was away, I am glad I bought them, I use them all the time now, makes life so simple tbh, I wouldn't be without them now 👍

10 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I had a break from fishing for a good few years, wrapping sticks were one of the inventions that happened while I was away, I am glad I bought them, I use them all the time now, makes life so simple tbh, I wouldn't be without them now 👍

Yeah, I do see the benefit to using wrapping sticks. But, what I’ve found is if the wind whips up, the bow in the line makes you drop short, even though you’ve hit the clip.

With the old fashioned method I use, I can do a slight adjustment to the cast without worrying about hitting the clip, because I don’t use it.

It’s kind of hard to explain in writing though 

Sticks for me and use them after every cast... if bites are hard to come by it can be worth adding a wrap or two or taking away just remember the original number of wraps you started with... I’m getting old so all info go’s in the phone. If the wind gets up I use a heavier weight and punch it out. 

A few of my mates have said to me that I’m seriously missing out by not using distance sticks; and they could be right.

But, I think I’m just too old and too stubborn to adapt now. I do struggle to cast long distances now, but my accuracy is still pretty good 

On 24/05/2021 at 15:15, yonny said:

Same here.

Once the rod is cast you take any bow out as you sink line (this is normally a minimum of 1 meter and more if the wind is getting up). By clipping up before you reel in you don't account for this so better to wrap up for each recast imo.

To be honest I clip up before reeling in, but I have positioned the stop knot directly under the rod spigot when it is on the buzzers. 

I have allowed for the bow caused by the wind or drift, so it always goes back to the same spot.