Tuftys diving

Carpmaster

The lake I’m fishing has a lot of bird life but I’ve been watching the tuftys dive and have noticed them diving on different spots and coming back up eating,I put a lead over to check and these are clean!!  There was a huge weed Ed there but now this spot and it’s not the only one they’ve shown me today.   Has anyone else noticed this activity 

Watching bird life can be a good aid when working out various waters. On deeper venues, you can use tufties diving to work out the clear areas as well as the depth as each species has a maximum diving depth. Swans only feed to a certain depth, if they can’t reach, that can give you an idea of depth. You can see birds stood or wade on shallow bars and sunken islands. On one water, if I see coots diving on my spot, then I usually know that there are no carp down there, when the coots stop or spook off, then I’ve usually had a take soon after. Geese and swans sometimes suddenly alter course when swimming from point A to B if they come across a carp basking in the upper layers. I’ve seen coots and moorhens become territorial and call out or stamp their feet when carp come near to their nests. There are lots of subtle signs everywhere when you take the time to look, if nothing else, watching the wildlife makes the sport so aesthetically pleasing. 

3 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Take it as a sign and start baiting it 👍

We have a duck eating catfish in my lake, someone in the syndicate watched one getting killed by one, i thought it must've been an otter or something, but he was adamant it was a cat as he said the fight lasted ages and he saw it rolling 

There’s a pike that does that on this water there’s a grebe missing an me and my mate seen it go down but didn’t come back up 

Iv had coots take my hook bait in 14ft of water, I’m sure they go deeper. Tuffs can out dive a submarine. Iv fished a shallow swim and there were carp about but also a family of swans which were a nightmare till I found a 5ft ish area up against a island the only place they couldn’t pick up my baits, had 3 carp from that spot. A Dutch angler on YouTube had a underwater camera in his swim filming a carp feeding when a coot dived under saw the carp 20lb + and pecked it  😳

14F58D7B-C747-45CD-8B0D-5144CA5D5F42.jpeg

18 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

The lake I’m fishing has a lot of bird life but I’ve been watching the tuftys dive and have noticed them diving on different spots and coming back up eating,I put a lead over to check and these are clean!!  There was a huge weed Ed there but now this spot and it’s not the only one they’ve shown me today.   Has anyone else noticed this activity 

Tufty's can be very useful at identifying spots, although as @framey has pointed out they can be a pain if they are on bait.

They do tend to feed on the same spots as carp, quite probably the same, as their usual diet is molluscs (snails and mussels) and insects. Bait for both just happens to be a sideline... 

On some waters I have been plagued by coots and tufties, getting continual pick-ups, then the next bleep becomes a full blooded run as a carp takes the bait. Yet on others if the coots are about the swim the carp aren't. 

I have watched coots suddenly surface looking spooked, and had a run immediately after, so it is something I look for. It may be pike spooking them, but it can be carp... 

1 minute ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Tufty's can be very useful at identifying spots, although as @framey has pointed out they can be a pain if they are on bait.

They do tend to feed on the same spots as carp, quite probably the same, as their usual diet is molluscs (snails and mussels) and insects. Bait for both just happens to be a sideline... 

On some waters I have been plagued by coots and tufties, getting continual pick-ups, then the next bleep becomes a full blooded run as a carp takes the bait. Yet on others if the coots are about the swim the carp aren't. 

I have watched coots suddenly surface looking spooked, and had a run immediately after, so it is something I look for. It may be pike spooking them, but it can be carp... 

Cheers guys I shall keep the mince pies open an start a little trickle going in