Brazil nut rig

carperjake

Does anyone have a tried and tested brazil nut rig please? I'm looking to move away from tigers next season and fish Brazil's over a small amount of chopped tigers and hemp as a way to stay ahead of the curve, tigers have done well for a couple of seasons but are becoming known so I expect them to blow soon. I'm fishing tigers on a short, stiff D rig with 2 small pieces of ziglite foam and 2 undrilled tigers. Would something similar be viable for Brazils or should I look for something different? 

TIA

Edited by carperjake

Can’t see tigers blowing especially if you are the only one using them

drill through the centre of the Brazil lengthways and add a bit of brown zig foam or cork to pop it up fish it as a low pop up or wafter

I believe Brazil’s are a little buoyant anyway.

will need to play about with the amount of foam 

Cheers, unfortunately I'm not the only one using them, they've been used on and off for years but came into their own last season. But the secret is out now and I've been chatting to a few other members, the consensus seems to be that a lot of them will be fishing tigers next season. I'll carry on with them on one or 2 rods but I reckon that brazils will give me an edge.

1 hour ago, ouchthathurt said:

I’ve always preferred peanuts to tigers, but they been to be used sparingly in my experience. I’ve used Brazil nuts before and found that a simple blow back rig with a longish hair was ideal. Tied up with soft braid or a soft coated braid. 

Cheers, I've been using very few tigers as free offerings, less than a dozen on each rod. The fish do spook off large beds of bait so I can imagine if there's a concerted baiting campaign they'll get fed up and avoid tigers in a pretty short space of time, hence why I'm looking for an edge over tigers before they blow. I did well last season on tigers but even better when i crushed them and mixed some hemp in too, as fas as i know no one else tried that so I'll keep on with the same approach but change to a brazil nut as hookbait on one or 2 rods and see what happens.

3 hours ago, framey said:

Can’t see tigers blowing especially if you are the only one using them

drill through the centre of the Brazil lengthways and add a bit of brown zig foam or cork to pop it up fish it as a low pop up or wafter

I believe Brazil’s are a little buoyant anyway.

will need to play about with the amount of foam 

I have seen tigers blow. 

If you are going with a Brazil, find the floating ones, and use a 360 rig (shrink tube over the eye), or stick with the D-rig. 

The D rig can be used with buoyant or sinking baits😉

14 hours ago, carperjake said:

Does anyone have a tried and tested brazil nut rig please? I'm looking to move away from tigers next season and fish Brazil's over a small amount of chopped tigers and hemp as a way to stay ahead of the curve, tigers have done well for a couple of seasons but are becoming known so I expect them to blow soon. I'm fishing tigers on a short, stiff D rig with 2 small pieces of ziglite foam and 2 undrilled tigers. Would something similar be viable for Brazils or should I look for something different? 

TIA

I’ve used Brazil’s and found them quite light in weight and also found little 10mm size bits better than a whole nut tbh  another point for you cut a fresh nut you get an oily juice not with an old nut fresher the better    Most rigs will work with a Brazil tbh just lengthen the hair slightly and use a pva bag or tape to stop a tangle as they are quite light

hope this is some help

1 minute ago, yonny said:

Pretty much mate. Add a load in for the soak and leave until they swell. Then add a load more and boil.

They go mental for them.

I've been thinking about using some nuts this year, I think everyone seems to go for tigers, so I think peanuts might be a good alternative, and fenugreek seems to pop up quite often so it will be something different to try anyway cheers 

Had loads on Brazils over the years fished as singles and over bait. They’re just another hookbait (albeit an exceptional one) any rig that presents appropriately will do. I’ve never added to their buoyancy or counterbalanced them. Occasionally, I’ll tip with corn but not necessary. Just shave and trim to desired shape and size😎