Cygnet 12m baiting pole

jh92

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

Just after some advice really.
I’ve just seen one of these cygnet 12m baiting poles for sale including the spoon, float/sponge thing and hard case for £90 second hand.

Is it a good deal? 

Hi Jh92

Well when you add up the cost of all the bits you are getting they are £180 worth , but if you went to your local independent tackle shop you may be able to cut a deal - I did .

How much is postage ? .

😃

20 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I've spend a little while thinking about baiting spoons, and for me a 12m one isnt that useful as its only 3 and a bit wraps long, it's fine if all your spots are close in but it wouldn't benefit me that much at 12m long really, and I could mainly live without one at those distances 

Hi Elmo .

I bought a Baiting Spoon for a particular margin swim , then the bailiff cut the tree down 😡 .

I usually carry the B.S. in the back of the car , just in case , as sometimes I need it to tuck my bait into little margin spots where others may not be able to put a bait ? .

😃

29 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I've spend a little while thinking about baiting spoons, and for me a 12m one isnt that useful as its only 3 and a bit wraps long, it's fine if all your spots are close in but it wouldn't benefit me that much at 12m long really, and I could mainly live without one at those distances 

I know what you mean, I’m fishing a small pond at the moment, I’ve got to be putting baits tight to the island and under over hanging trees. Most of the spots are under 12m so I think it might be a good tool to have 👍

8 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hi Jh92

Well when you add up the cost of all the bits you are getting they are £180 worth , but if you went to your local independent tackle shop you may be able to cut a deal - I did .

How much is postage ? .

😃

Hmm I think it might be a good deal then, it’s local to me on gumtree mate 👍 only problem I got is if I wait until Monday to contact my local tackle shop to see if I could get a similar deal, the offer on gumtree might be gone lol. I’m gonna see if it’s still available 👍😃

14 minutes ago, framey said:

I have the 12m and 5 spare sections always in the van just in case 

I have a lake with loads of over hanging bits and pieces

I do think they are more useful when you have a longer reach, you can get a corus one and a saber one 18m for £150 nowadays,not sure if they are any good though, but to me it would be better value to get an 18m than a 12m for £90 and end up buying extra sections at £30 a pop 

Gonna play devil's advocate here 😂

200 for a baiting pole or an actor bait boat £200 both deliver your bait and rig to a required spot, bait boat is probably a better tool as it can go further and dare I say it with about as little disturbance,and probably easier to use too, however a bait boat is cheating and a pole is fair game, funny old world we live in isn't it 😂

3 hours ago, jh92 said:

I’m fishing a small pond at the moment, I’ve got to be putting baits tight to the island and under over hanging trees.

Sounds like my local pond. My favourite swim (yeah I know it's not trendy to have one and you've got to find the fish first!) is 6 wraps so 24 yards by my reckoning. I did consider some baiting poles but found that underarm casting a small korda spod;

http://www.korda.co.uk/fishingtackle/baiting-up/mini-skyliner/ 

and stopping it dead as it hits the water means I can bait with barely a ripple. Using the larger size one was hit and miss and I ended up depth charging the swim too often.

I have seen bait boats used and my mate put his to good use by catching the largest fish in one lake by placing his bait right under some trees at 60 yards on an Island and I have occasionally let him tow my rigs out but just can't see me buying one as it does feel like a cheat too far. Got to admit though that the feature finder sonar device he uses with it makes finding the bottom contours so much easier rather than thrashing the water to a foam.  

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

200 for a baiting pole or an actor bait boat £200 both deliver your bait and rig to a required spot, bait boat is probably a better tool as it can go further and dare I say it with about as little disturbance,and probably easier to use too, however a bait boat is cheating and a pole is fair game, funny old world we live in isn't it 😂

Use whatever floats your boat and serves you best in your angling and sod what anyone else thinks 

to many people nowadays think they are the authority in what should and should be allowed and what’s right or wrong.

When I want to use a bait boat and the rules say I can then I will 👍

28 minutes ago, framey said:

Use whatever floats your boat and serves you best in your angling and sod what anyone else thinks 

to many people nowadays think they are the authority in what should and should be allowed and what’s right or wrong.

When I want to use a bait boat and the rules say I can then I will 👍

I have seen people using boats far more effectively than what I've been doing lately, it does start to make you think, I had a little play with my new deeper the other day, mapped out 3 swims far quicker than I previously would I'm coming round to modern technology, I don't think it's a total solution and you still need a lead to check the bottom but it will save casting a lead so much to find the potential spot in the first place, 

18 hours ago, elmoputney said:

How reliable is this £200 bait boat though lol if it won’t break after a few goes and it goes straight I will buy it 😂

44 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

If i owned a lake all boats and sonar would be banned hate the things puts me off my fishing goes way too far across the line of fishing for a living, plus on you average 10 acre UK carp lake if you struggle on where to put a bait perhaps try waggler fishing for a summer or two.

I've come to terms with modern technology recently, especially as most of the great anglers of our time seem to adopt them in one form or another, they are just tools, for me I just want to catch fish, if a sonar helps me find some good spots in a very weedy water quicker and with less disturbance to work on then so be it, I know I will still work hard at my angling, will still be prebaiting regularly and still learning as I go, they don't catch the fish for you, but they give you a quicker insight into the topography of the lake bed, you still need to locate the fish on the day, create a feeding situation and believe it or not still use some watercraft or you still won't catch them, 

That's where I am at today anyway, I've even started to turn my head towards the advantage of bait boats in some situations and I used to hate them 😁

13 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I've come to terms with modern technology recently, especially as most of the great anglers of our time seem to adopt them in one form or another, they are just tools, for me I just want to catch fish, if a sonar helps me find some good spots in a very weedy water quicker and with less disturbance to work on then so be it, I know I will still work hard at my angling, will still be prebaiting regularly and still learning as I go, they don't catch the fish for you, but they give you a quicker insight into the topography of the lake bed, you still need to locate the fish on the day, create a feeding situation and believe it or not still use some watercraft or you still won't catch them, 

That's where I am at today anyway, I've even started to turn my head towards the advantage of bait boats in some situations and I used to hate them 😁

I have been mulling over a deeper myself but i think it might take some of the mystery out of my fishing, plus from what i've seen of them which isn't a lot i'm not sure i could get full use out of one the display looks confusing, might have to watch a few vids see what's what. 

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

If i owned a lake all boats and sonar would be banned hate the things puts me off my fishing goes way too far across the line of fishing for a living, plus on you average 10 acre UK carp lake if you struggle on where to put a bait perhaps try waggler fishing for a summer or two.

how does it put you off your fishing?

2 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

I have been mulling over a deeper myself but i think it might take some of the mystery out of my fishing, plus from what i've seen of them which isn't a lot i'm not sure i could get full use out of one the display looks confusing, might have to watch a few vids see what's what. 

I don't think it does that much tbh you still have to get the fish to take the bait all it helps with is finding points of Interest to feed them on,