Help with rod choice

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum, not so new to carp fishing. :)

So i'm currently using Daiwa Black Widow G50 12' 3.0lb rods and I like them, they do the job nicely up to around 70 m distance. Over that they're losing precision and around 100m is the max to cast them at all. (For me at least)

Now i'm looking for a casting rod set because next season i plan on going to a few bigger lakes where the usual fishing distance is about 120-140m from the bank.

I'll keep my black widows for river fishing and closer distances, where i aprreciate the fish play the soft rods offer, but for the big lakes i need a real caster,

So i'm looking at 13' and 3.5lb or more models. With a bit faster action, for precision long casts.

All my searches give back TX4 from shimano's tribal series. And friends advice is the same.

Is it really the only casting tool in that price range?

For example, i really like the way Greys look, so i'd like a Apex or GT4 even. Will those be able to do what i need?

Ideally, i'd go for Tribal Ultra, but my price range is a bit lower, somewhere around the ones i mentioned.
Any advice from someone using those rods is welcome, or even a completely different rod advice, i'll look into it.

Thanks!

(Sorry if my spelling is not good somewhere, english is my 3rd language :) )

2 hours ago, Prcofix said:

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum, not so new to carp fishing. :)

So i'm currently using Daiwa Black Widow G50 12' 3.0lb rods and I like them, they do the job nicely up to around 70 m distance. Over that they're losing precision and around 100m is the max to cast them at all. (For me at least)

Now i'm looking for a casting rod set because next season i plan on going to a few bigger lakes where the usual fishing distance is about 120-140m from the bank.

I'll keep my black widows for river fishing and closer distances, where i aprreciate the fish play the soft rods offer, but for the big lakes i need a real caster,

So i'm looking at 13' and 3.5lb or more models. With a bit faster action, for precision long casts.

All my searches give back TX4 from shimano's tribal series. And friends advice is the same.

Is it really the only casting tool in that price range?

For example, i really like the way Greys look, so i'd like a Apex or GT4 even. Will those be able to do what i need?

Ideally, i'd go for Tribal Ultra, but my price range is a bit lower, somewhere around the ones i mentioned.
Any advice from someone using those rods is welcome, or even a completely different rod advice, i'll look into it.

Thanks!

(Sorry if my spelling is not good somewhere, english is my 3rd language :) )

Apparently around 150 yards will be the max for most people

terry Edmonds uses a shimano tx1 I think it is and it’s around 100£ a rod 

Thanks guys for the answers. Seems shimano is the way to go...

I can go a bit over 150. I tried out the TX-4 and i cast it around 170. Around 150 with some precision. So i believe with some training and practice that would go 170 with accuracy. And that's all i'll ever need. 
I'm lost in all those rods, only ever fished in closer ranges where some 3lb 12' rods were perfect.
I'm really trying to find anything other in the lower price range other than tx4 with the same "stiffnes" and "speed" but not a broom stick, i can use my spod rod for that, so,
Additional question:
Fox Horizon x3. It says in the description that it's designed for big cast distances. Is it really or is that just a marketing trick? Anybody used them? 
Again, i know that horizon x5 is good, but how much worse is the x3 for that price drop?

Edited by Prcofix

13 hours ago, Prcofix said:

I'm really trying to find anything other in the lower price range other than tx4 with the same "stiffnes" and "speed" but not a broom stick

Thing is mate there is simply no such thing as a rod that will cast 170 yards which is not a broomstick. You'll probably hear people say there is, but they either don't know what they're talking about or they're lying.

Stiff rods = big distance, it really is that simple.

I've not used the Fox's but I do have a mate that has them and doesn't complain.

1 minute ago, yonny said:

Decent distance rods but very heavy. Hard work to use at real range, but certainly capable.

Just thought they might be worth a look, not if they are heavy though, I really liked the tx2's tbh, I wouldn't mind a set of those next,they were slim and stylish still think the wychwoods have got more distance in them though should I need it, apparently I can cast those 191 yards 😁

23 minutes ago, framey said:

Lucky to get 50 or 60 with a greys lol

20 minutes ago, yonny said:

I have no idea buddy but it sounds like a very tall order to me.

I don't think i would even try to cast it that far, just being a little silly 🙄

I fancied having a 4th rod I could chuck under a tree or in the margins or something,I'm allowed to use 4 on there so thought I may as well use my allowance while it's cold, it's a good fun rod , and won't take up much space, just thought it could give me another angle 

On 17/11/2020 at 07:51, yonny said:

If you cannot stretch to Harrison/Century/Free Spirit then the Shimano's are defo the one I'm told.

Century are probably the best, World Record holders in a number of weights for distance casting. 

Plus also a favourite on mainland Europe Rod Hutchinson Dream makers, a 13ft 3.5lb is available at around £200 by shopping around. 

Any long range rod is going to be stiff as a broomstick. Heck I used Century FMJ's, very heavy, very stiff but boy could they cast. 

Terry Edmonds, currently using Shimano has put leads a long way with their range, and they are probably in the bargain bucket price range. 

I should think these shimano rods that Terry is using , Have been designed for Terry . If they were going into a deal with him , they would of had to design a rod he wouldn't explode on the cast . You need to ask yourself if you are going to compress these rods like Terry can ? Not many people will be able to , so will be pointless for most . Chuck in the price tag & I should think the butt section is very stiff .

3 hours ago, chillfactor said:

I should think these shimano rods that Terry is using , Have been designed for Terry .

Nope, bog standard off the shelf rods mate.

3 hours ago, chillfactor said:

You need to ask yourself if you are going to compress these rods like Terry can ? Not many people will be able to , so will be pointless for most .

It always makes me chuckle when you hear guys judging the capability of a rod based on what Terry can do with them. I agree with you mate that it's largely irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure Usain Bolt could do a 100m in 10 seconds wearing walking boots. It doesn't mean walking boots allow you to run faster.

My small water rods are X Lites. I can fish effectively with them at an absolute max of 120/130. Terry can cast the same model 180 yards. It's completely irrelevant, he is a freak of nature when it comes to casting ability.

45 minutes ago, yonny said:

Nope, bog standard off the shelf rods mate.

It always makes me chuckle when you hear guys judging the capability of a rod based on what Terry can do with them. I agree with you mate that it's largely irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure Usain Bolt could do a 100m in 10 seconds wearing walking boots. It doesn't mean walking boots allow you to run faster.

My small water rods are X Lites. I can fish effectively with them at an absolute max of 120/130. Terry can cast the same model 180 yards. It's completely irrelevant, he is a freak of nature when it comes to casting ability.

I'm amazed... there off the shelf mate , he normally has input in the rods at a development stage.  To make sure they won't explode on him ! . But I'll take you on your word mate .  

How's the little one doing ? 

On 18/11/2020 at 08:58, yonny said:

Stiff rods = big distance, it really is that simple.

Yes stiff, but there's a difference between a stiff fast tip action rod and a rod that feels like a catfish rod. If you know what i mean, don't really know how to express myself in english :)  I'm comparing to Tribal TX-ultra again. I threw them more than far enough with decent accuracy but they still bend nicelly and allow some hook safety under a 15kg carp. I'm not looking if it's possible to get what i want, i know it is just not sure if i'm expresing myself correctly and if it's possible for a lower price range. 

On 18/11/2020 at 11:23, elmoputney said:

You could have a look at free spirit ctx rods

Thanks for the recomendation, didn't really look at free spirit at all. Now i'm watching some youtube reviews and the 13' 3.5lb SU version might fit me, for an acceptable price. Now just to find where i can see i and try them in my hand.

Thanks to all for the replies and help.

So, i've made kind of a shortlist of rods i like by reviews and looks. Ofcourse, i'll try any rod in my hand before buying.
I don't want to be the guy with a million dumb questions, but on a carp forum i can ask specific stuff and get specific answers, reviews rarely cover what i really want to know and how it feels first hand from people using the rods.
I'd like some feedback how you would rank thoose rods, kind of a poll. Then i'll shorten the shortlist and go on trying and buying :)

So there they are:

Free spirit CTX 13' 3.5lb SU
Century NCS 13' 3.5lb (Those are currently on a deal 45%off in a store near me for "black friday" sales, so that's not sure i'll be able to grab them. On regular price they're out of range)
Shimano tribal tx-4 13' INT
Greys Apex 13' 3.5lb
Fox Horizon X3 13' 3.5lb

So what i want is a rod that i can put on a 4.5 oz lead and not worry will it snap if i compress it for a long cast, fast action and the given price range.

Any other rod suggestion is still welcome, but so far that's my shortlist.
Thanks

Get the Centuries if you can, either that or the shimanos seem to be the highest recommended, i don't like Shimano gear other than the reels, Shimano rods were once known to suffer tip snap offs once you get to near their maximum casting weight, had it happen on two hyperloops fishing bags, i did buy them used tenner a go, but a Rod Builder who knows more about what's what with carbon blanks had nothing good to say about the Shimano rods of 20 years back, might of changed. 

The fox X3 is a newish one, i have what they replaced in price range the Torque would love a review on the pros and cons between the two, i really do like my Torques i have used balistas before but not the slims i'd say mine are easily on par with the slims and I hate to say this but in the past few years i have had them i have not dropped a fish, touch wood and all that. 

5 hours ago, Prcofix said:

So, i've made kind of a shortlist of rods i like by reviews and looks. Ofcourse, i'll try any rod in my hand before buying.
I don't want to be the guy with a million dumb questions, but on a carp forum i can ask specific stuff and get specific answers, reviews rarely cover what i really want to know and how it feels first hand from people using the rods.
I'd like some feedback how you would rank thoose rods, kind of a poll. Then i'll shorten the shortlist and go on trying and buying :)

So there they are:

Century NCS 13' 3.5lb (Those are currently on a deal 45%off in a store near me for "black friday" sales, so that's not sure i'll be able to grab them. On regular price they're out of range)
Greys Apex 13' 3.5lb
Fox Horizon X3 13' 3.5lb

So what i want is a rod that i can put on a 4.5 oz lead and not worry will it snap if i compress it for a long cast, fast action and the given price range.

Thanks

Of those, I would be looking to the Century rods, or from having Terry Edmonds on my Facebook feed and his casting, the Shimano's. 

Or as I posted earlier, Rod Hutchinson Dream makers. 

21 hours ago, Prcofix said:

So there they are:

Greys Apex 13' 3.5lb
Fox Horizon X3 13' 3.5lb

Thanks

There used to be a small tackle shop above a hardware store near me the owner would always let us try a rod casting over the football pitch across the road from the shop to see if it suited us. Had my heart set on a rod had a cast but couldn’t compress the blank so it was a no no  If you can try out a few all the better,good luck with your choice. 

Thanks guys!
So it comes down to getting the centurys if i make it, if not the shimanos. 
Will try them out

23 hours ago, Big Bass said:

There used to be a small tackle shop above a hardware store near me the owner would always let us try a rod casting over the football pitch across the road from the shop to see if it suited us.

This is perfect! That's the best way to choose a rod.