Winter Carp Fishing

2 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

I’m still using5oz in-line leads combo hooklinks 14mm bait on one rod 10mm on another 

Lead clips have worked most of the year, just thinking for the finicky winter bites..... 

On a 24hr Carp Match next week....Covid rules apply strictly. 

Will try esp semi stiff Ronnie on 1, and esp semi stiff wafter/snowman....

Also be taki g 1pnt maggots. 

4 minutes ago, Highy said:

Lead clips have worked most of the year, just thinking for the finicky winter bites..... 

On a 24hr Carp Match next week....Covid rules apply strictly. 

Will try esp semi stiff Ronnie on 1, and esp semi stiff wafter/snowman....

Also be taki g 1pnt maggots. 

Try a load of chopped worm highly I find maggots close a water off for months 

I'd say it depends on the venue you chose to fish during winter and weather conditions that you are fishing in. 

High stocked venue then I'd fish lead clips to semi tight lines and fish for liners if I can't find them. 12mm - 16mm baits and I wouldn't be afraid to give them some bait. 

On my syndicate water I used to go the opposite regarding bait size, 18mm - 24mm baits. The bigger baits for pre-baiting to hopefully stop the tufties scoffing them. I would have also been baiting a swim or 2 for a good few months by now with particle and boilie. Plumbing the spots every now and then will tell you if the fish are visiting the spot. 

25 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I'd say it depends on the venue you chose to fish during winter and weather conditions that you are fishing in. 

High stocked venue then I'd fish lead clips to semi tight lines and fish for liners if I can't find them. 12mm - 16mm baits and I wouldn't be afraid to give them some bait. 

On my syndicate water I used to go the opposite regarding bait size, 18mm - 24mm baits. The bigger baits for pre-baiting to hopefully stop the tufties scoffing them. I would have also been baiting a swim or 2 for a good few months by now with particle and boilie. Plumbing the spots every now and then will tell you if the fish are visiting the spot. 

This venue I used to fish match style years ago, been 2yrs since I fished it. 

It can be a runs water, but does slow up in winter... Fish push 20lb in here... 

Depending what swim you get, it can be 2ft or 6ft.

I've got 10 to 16mm Baits... 

Screenshot_20201108_135703.thumb.jpg.14c5fabf7902a285401e265395163438.jpg

You can fish all way round this lake but we are using 15 pegs (pink line) 

White is shallow 2ft, Orange is large railway sleepers on the bottom, Purple circle is around 6ft.

I'm not gonna be shy with the bait this winter I am thinking fish little maybe bags or single chods  but pre bait quite big for when I am not there, it might not pay off but if I can get them visiting the spots then I may get a bite or two, I've got a bucket of pigeon Conditioner in the car for a spot that needs some TLC, will check it Wednesday or Thursday to see if it's any firmer if not will add another bucket elsewhere if I can, I am going to try and have 2 or 3 spots working for me and using mainly particle will hopefully keep them visiting, my old swim and that area will probably see a lot of pressure so I am thinking if they get pushed out into the open water I can keep them there for a bit with less pressure and freely available food. 

We can but try there can always be a plan B 😁

36 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I'm not gonna be shy with the bait this winter I am thinking fish little maybe bags or single chods  but pre bait quite big for when I am not there, it might not pay off but if I can get them visiting the spots then I may get a bite or two, I've got a bucket of pigeon Conditioner in the car for a spot that needs some TLC, will check it Wednesday or Thursday to see if it's any firmer if not will add another bucket elsewhere if I can, I am going to try and have 2 or 3 spots working for me and using mainly particle will hopefully keep them visiting, my old swim and that area will probably see a lot of pressure so I am thinking if they get pushed out into the open water I can keep them there for a bit with less pressure and freely available food. 

We can but try there can always be a plan B 😁

Sounds like the A-team is going fishing😂😂

19 hours ago, Highy said:

My rods are setup on lead clips, I'm thinking of changing to chod/heli setup for winter. 

Set-up should be selected to suit the spot you're fishing, not the time of year buddy.

19 hours ago, Highy said:

How do you guys approach winter ? 

For me, same as any other time of year, but with much less bait.

On 08/11/2020 at 12:55, Highy said:

Hi all, 

How do you guys approach winter ? 

My rods are setup on lead clips, I'm thinking of changing to chod/heli setup for winter. 

Bait wise maybe small 12mm Boilies, 

Exactly the same as I do summer, no difference in lead set-ups, rigs or bait, although I use less bait and hardly any particles if any at all. 

I nearly always fish with leads on run rings; I can fish them slack or tight line dependant on the water, I also prefer them over lead clips. 

The time I do put bait in is when I leave, during fishing I bait up only with stringers or mesh of boilies. 

At Linear fisheries Oxford  Maggots ...  and then more maggots when we were allowed to spod them that is, up 6 pints at least with sweet corn... if I was fishing at distance I would drop some pebbles in the nose of the spod for the extra weight. I think the carp like soft baits when that water temperature drops. Hooks size 8-10

6 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

I’m more referring to those that are piling them but not catching nothing oh I know I’ll put more in   Why

How do you know that they haven't already been taken though, if I was fishing for carp using maggots I would expect a lot to be taken by nuisance fish on my water, and I doubt it would get a pick up from them, I tend to think from viewing my prebaited spot if the action slows from the rudd tench or bream flipping over it,  there isn't much bait left and I would top up then, having fed the rudd in the edge half a pint of maggots doesn't last long,

but you don't tend to see the rudd in the deeper spots so much and the tench, bream and carp don't seem to give themselves away so readily either at the moment so it's back to guesswork 😁 

On 08/11/2020 at 13:59, Highy said:

White is shallow 2ft, Orange is large railway sleepers on the bottom, Purple circle is around 6ft.

This 1.... 

11 hours ago, Big Bass said:

Highly what area at the lake do you fancy  ? 

On 08/11/2020 at 13:59, Highy said:

The prolificareas are bang right in the middle of the pink li e on the bend or half way down the right hand side were the feature is (railway sleeper). 

But it will be luck of the draw... Haha, just glad to be out.