Reels; metal or plastic line clips

Hello,

I'm looking to get a spod reel and a marker reel. The simple question is should I look for a metal line clip or plastic? I've seen dedicated spod reels that have plastic line clips for example the diawa emblem but are they really tough enough? I've always hesitated using my current reels for clipping up as they are plastic.

Thanks

Paul

You could place some pole elastic in the clip first and that will lessen the shock and stop it damaging the line

john Roberts iirc used to sell an item you could clip to the line and put that into the line clip rather than the line

Edited by framey

To be honest I'm just not experienced at using the clip and it's something I definitely need to start doing in my fishing but I'm just trying to think ahead so I can buy the right gear to be honest. The diawa emblems do look good, they are much more expensive than any reel I've ever bought in my life though haha

3 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

To be honest I'm just not experienced at using the clip and it's something I definitely need to start doing in my fishing but I'm just trying to think ahead so I can buy the right gear to be honest. The diawa emblems do look good, they are much more expensive than any reel I've ever bought in my life though haha

Buy cheap buy twice though, I made that mistake 😳

I've not Managed to break the plastic clips on my emcasts yet and once I accidently left it clipped up and got a screaming take, wasn't much fun trying to get it unclipped with a carp trying to rip the rod out my hand but it didn't break 👍

10 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Buy cheap buy twice though, I made that mistake 😳

I've not Managed to break the plastic clips on my emcasts yet and once I accidently left it clipped up and got a screaming take, wasn't much fun trying to get it unclipped with a carp trying to rip the rod out my hand but it didn't break 👍

Define cheap lol

that creates a problem in its self 

I agree to buy cheap buy twice especially with tackle that should last for years. My main concern was if a metal line clip was actually better although it doesn't seem limited to the expensive reels so that would suggest not.

This may sound daft but is there actually a specific way the line should be clipped? Eg wrap it twice round etc etc

1 hour ago, pablo7uk said:

I agree to buy cheap buy twice especially with tackle that should last for years. My main concern was if a metal line clip was actually better although it doesn't seem limited to the expensive reels so that would suggest not.

This may sound daft but is there actually a specific way the line should be clipped? Eg wrap it twice round etc etc

Yes a round metal line clip is deffo much better than a plastic clip, If you haven't brought the reels yet, I'd go Shimano- IMO the best there is

I would not buy a reel with plastic clips, been there done that - they are absolutely rubbish.

I have plastic shark tooth clips on my old Aerlex reels, only broken one and that was when I caught it somehow transporting gear from swim to swim. The line on the rod got tangled up in a bramble and I just yanked it. 

I have replaced it with a Shimano spare for pennies, it still goes. 

I just use my thumbnail to put the line under the clip once when I have got the right distance. 

I actually don't like the round metal clips, the line seems to unclip itself quite easily. 

Shimano reels for me, although I blanche at the quality of the newer models. My Aerlex's are 15years old and still working

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

Yes a round metal line clip is deffo much better than a plastic clip, If you haven't brought the reels yet, I'd go Shimano- IMO the best there is

I would not buy a reel with plastic clips, been there done that - they are absolutely rubbish.

It looks easy to change though so don’t let it put you off lol

7 minutes ago, framey said:

It looks easy to change though so don’t let it put you off lol

About 5minutes job, tops. 

Just unclip the o-ring, slide the old clip out, new one in and replace the o-ring. A small pair of tweezers and a very flat head small screwdriver helps. 

Thanks for all the advice, I fished Clearwater Fishery in carnforth during the week and although I don't have all the spomb and marker gear yet I did brave using the line clips and measuring wraps on distance sticks for the first time ever. Needless to say I will never look back, it's so easy and reliable and hitting the clip on a cast is so much less risky than I ever believed it would be!!

10 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Thanks for all the advice, I fished Clearwater Fishery in carnforth during the week and although I don't have all the spomb and marker gear yet I did brave using the line clips and measuring wraps on distance sticks for the first time ever. Needless to say I will never look back, it's so easy and reliable and hitting the clip on a cast is so much less risky than I ever believed it would be!!

It was one of the first "new things" I tried when I restarted makes such a difference, well worth persevering with 👍

10 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

10 hours ago, elmoputney said:

It was one of the first "new things" I tried when I restarted makes such a difference, well worth persevering with 👍

Most definitely. I've been baiting a swim on Re...... and one spot I have is a cast towards the far bank tree, but it is like a tiny bay. 

I 'creep and clip up' to get the bait in the spot. By that I mean I aim at the spot, and then work out how short (or on target) I am from it, pull a bit of line off the reel if needed and clip up, although I do know if the wind is right a 3.5oz lead and 3 boilie will fly right in, so I may well bait up the area with a few 'miscast' stringers. 

I don't often use distance sticks, preferring to walk the line out the distance and marking it on the bank, with a stick. 

I also seem to be able to get my Spomb close to the marker float first cast and then clip that up easily. Again an easy cast to get right on the fishing rod as I feel that down to be sure it is weed free. 

17 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Most definitely. I've been baiting a swim on Re...... and one spot I have is a cast towards the far bank tree, but it is like a tiny bay. 

I 'creep and clip up' to get the bait in the spot. By that I mean I aim at the spot, and then work out how short (or on target) I am from it, pull a bit of line off the reel if needed and clip up, although I do know if the wind is right a 3.5oz lead and 3 boilie will fly right in, so I may well bait up the area with a few 'miscast' stringers. 

I don't often use distance sticks, preferring to walk the line out the distance and marking it on the bank, with a stick. 

I also seem to be able to get my Spomb close to the marker float first cast and then clip that up easily. Again an easy cast to get right on the fishing rod as I feel that down to be sure it is weed free. 

I don't see much advantage to not using sticks to be honest,for me they make things easier, you can then record the distances you cast and its easier next time, if I know the swim it's usually 3 ot 4 casts and the rods are fishing with as little disturbance as possible, 

I use the same rod for leading about and spombing also so I have already got that where I want it from my initial marking up 

I'm really trying to work on my accuracy these days, I want to bait and fish as accurately as I can and with as little disturbance, 

Even if I am fishing at shortish range I still use them 

When I went over to marker sticks I put on weight from not having to walk out the rods all the time...honest  😉

I’ve used a reel for the spod and marker work for donkey years with the plastic clip and luckily had no issues but recently been using a reel with a round spring metal clip which I prefer. I defo wouldn’t go back to the plastic clip 

On 18/10/2020 at 21:24, pablo7uk said:

Interesting to know, I've got a couple in mind now thinking diawa emblem or Shimano 10000 xtb. I think my major influences are now going to be more on recommendation and price rather than clip style etc as I've quickly learnt that it doesnt matter haha

Could anyone recommend one over the other? The diawa are so much more expensive but I seem drawn to them for some reason.