how big are ya balls ?

sir axeman

14/16/18mm or other ? What i'm driving at really is size vs effectiveness. Are smaller baits more like naturals and more what the carp are inclined to? Do big baits (20mm +) put them off ? Of course they have certain advantages in that they're going to be able to catapult or stick further out, but the downside is they will fill the fish quicker...but then they might be a problem for smaller fish ie bream n tench - which in my book is a good thing. So what are your thoughts in regard to bait size....do you even consider it beyond how far you can get them out ? Do ya think size matters not in terms of their appeal to a hungry carp ? Discuss!! :)

1x18mm boilie is almost 3x14mm boilies in terms of weight amount of mix to roll. So in theory imagine the amount of baits you could scatter in a swim and get the fish rooting around for compared to 18mm. Even more with say 10 or 12mm's but of course the smaller you go the more of a free for all it becomes with nuisance fish.....

1 hour ago, sir axeman said:

14/16/18mm or other ? What i'm driving at really is size vs effectiveness. Are smaller baits more like naturals and more what the carp are inclined to? Do big baits (20mm +) put them off ? Of course they have certain advantages in that they're going to be able to catapult or stick further out, but the downside is they will fill the fish quicker...but then they might be a problem for smaller fish ie bream n tench - which in my book is a good thing. So what are your thoughts in regard to bait size....do you even consider it beyond how far you can get them out ? Do ya think size matters not in terms of their appeal to a hungry carp ? Discuss!! :)

1x18mm boilie is almost 3x14mm boilies in terms of weight amount of mix to roll. So in theory imagine the amount of baits you could scatter in a swim and get the fish rooting around for compared to 18mm. Even more with say 10 or 12mm's but of course the smaller you go the more of a free for all it becomes with nuisance fish.....

I have similar questions lol at the moment I use 18mm pretty much exclusively with 11mm pellets, In my head I'm feeding the nuisance fish off with the pellets and the 18mm baits are being eaten by the carp 😂

I have used mixed sizes and 12mm baits to add more individual items when fishing and also caught tench  🤔 but if pre-baiting whilst there will be more free items  I think using 12mm or 15mm you are more likely to be feeding the nuisance fish the good stuff 😬

I find if I use an 18mm hookbait with boilies and pellets I don't catch tench and bream, I actually think they get preoccupied on the pellets and leave the bigger baits, I've seen them rolling but haven't actually caught one for a while 😱

If you forced me to go higher or lower than an 18mm I would go higher, I would happily use 20mm+ baits and if you create the right situation they will trough like pigs, 

I would say they would have to move more to find a spread of 18mm than a spread of 12mm as they will be less concentrated so that's how I decided not to mess about also 1 size is easier to distribute with a pult or throwing stick 

Hope this helps basically big is easier lol 😁

Under normal circumstances I'm not that fussy when it comes to bait size. Anything around the 14-18 mm will do me fine. I rarely use chops, and I rarely use crumb. I might use smaller baits on a very, very hard/clean substrate (spotless gravel) but tbh it's been years since I've fished spotless gravel. I might use bigger baits if bream become a major issue. Like I say, not fussy really. I think where you put it is what really counts.

A very successful angler tried to get me on 10ml and 12 mil baits 15 years ago, swore it was a big edge, I didn't listen at the time but I really think I should have.  Now I go for 12s or 14s if I need extra distance with the throwing stick.

My bait company now do 10s so I will split the next order 10s, 12s, 14s.

1 hour ago, Carpmaster said:

I’ve used big beds of bait but not for a long time the only reason I use the size of baits I do I don’t think the carp in these two particular waters have seen baits this size and shape as I just tear a chunk of boilie mix plus I’m there to catch them not feed them 

I find it easier to catch them if I feed them 😰

I think every angler each has his or her own personal preference so I’d like to put a little swerve in the mix

now if the said size of said boilie is sat on the bottom relying on the palatability of what’s in the boilie so if you’ve got a boilie that attracts all the natural life are the carp eating it because of the boilie or naturals and maybe size don’t really matter to much after all

Just now, Carpmaster said:

I’ve found it works on some waters but I’ve found over the yrs each and every water is totally different Elmo you’ve probably found this yourself

I've fished hard waters where I've really struggled but I made it too complicated for myself and tied myself in knots,this year I am keeping it simple and feeding them consistently and it's the one thing I have always done and been confident of 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2020 at 16:36, kevtaylor said:

A very successful angler tried to get me on 10ml and 12 mil baits 15 years ago, swore it was a big edge, I didn't listen at the time but I really think I should have.  Now I go for 12s or 14s if I need extra distance with the throwing stick.

My bait company now do 10s so I will split the next order 10s, 12s, 14s.

So what size hooks would you be using with these boilie sizes please , Kev. ?

😃

Various! 

Past few years I have been fishing my big fish waters with double 20mm boilies or a 20 and a 15mm on a snowman on my bottom bait rigs. My pop-ups were, in fact are 20mm homemade specials. 

My runs water is boilies from 8-15mm.

On Earith I used 12mm boilie sausage cut into discs as well as 15mm boilies.