Environmental agency question

cromiee

So yesterday i was at a fishery and the baliff/environmental agent was chatting to me normally (At this point i never knew he was a baliff or whatever he was) he was just asking normal questions have i had ewt ect how long have i been here, just like a normal angler would as they pass by the next minute he whips his badge out like hes FBI and says i bet you dont have a rod licence do you, I said yes i do but i dont have it on me you can make your calls or whatever and double check if you like, Starts being off with me saying he can't do that i'll have to go. Showed him my bank car, ID ect but he said i'm lying about my name. Then things got strange he started giving me loads of grief because i didn't know how much a day ticket was because i've never been there so i did it wrong, started taking pictures of me and my car REG saying he knows im lying. I stood there and said please call whoever you can and ask them but still he carried on with his horrible attitude i was just sick of the smirky face he had kicking me off while everyone was watching, i left because it's pointless causing a pain over such thing i was the only person he asked for a license infact i was the only one he came over too, i saw him walking around the lake previously didnt pull his badge out on them

This was the first time i've been to this fishery and the last, must of had regulars they liked or regular members i have no idea.

is this normal behaviour for them or? this is the first ever time i've been asked for my fishing license and it was a horrible encounter with a pretty horrible bloke. 

Going to have to make sure i don't mistakenly forget to bring it.

Edited by cromiee

4 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

My money's on him setting up in your peg once you had left ! 

31 minutes ago, cromiee said:

So yesterday i was at a fishery and the baliff/environmental agent was chatting to me normally (At this point i never knew he was a baliff or whatever he was) he was just asking normal questions have i had ewt ect how long have i been here, just like a normal angler would as they pass by the next minute he whips his badge out like hes FBI and says i bet you dont have a rod licence do you, I said yes i do but i dont have it on me you can make your calls or whatever and double check if you like, Starts being off with me saying he can't do that i'll have to go. Showed him my bank car, ID ect but he said i'm lying about my name. Then things got strange he started giving me loads of grief because i didn't know how much a day ticket was because i've never been there so i did it wrong, started taking pictures of me and my car REG saying he knows im lying. I stood there and said please call whoever you can and ask them but still he carried on with his horrible attitude i was just sick of the smirky face he had kicking me off while everyone was watching, i left because it's pointless causing a pain over such thing i was the only person he asked for a license infact i was the only one he came over too, i saw him walking around the lake previously didnt pull his badge out on them

This was the first time i've been to this fishery and the last, must of had regulars they liked or regular members i have no idea.

is this normal behaviour for them or? this is the first ever time i've been asked for my fishing license and it was a horrible encounter with a pretty horrible bloke. 

I think he probably was just an angler trying it on to get in your peg 

too many of them these days, have you phoned the fishery to see what they say about it? They might not even know its been going on,and I am sure they wouldn't be happy about it, if they are name and shame them, 

Always leave your rod licence in your wallet or your car, removes all doubt tbh 

1 hour ago, cromiee said:

Hmm!

My local EA bailiff wears his EA jacket and hi-viz, so you can see he is EA when he walks up to you. He is also very polite and does chat and ask how things are going, he is into normal fishing conversation. It probably helps that I know who he is and he knows Sky. He has asked to see my licence once, then the next few times I have seen him he didn't bother, quite possibly because it is to hand.

The EA can easily check on a hand reader if you have given your name and address, and have ID to hand, although I do not know how if there is no phone signal in the area. It may be that it is done afterwards, so any non licence holders get a letter through the post.

My money is on someone trying it on. 

I bailiff a fishery and even when selling tickets or checking tickets I'm polite, albeit gruff as is my way normally. If I don't have my ticket book to hand I do have the owners number to hand so I can let him know that I have spoken to 'such and such', insert name and text him.

1 hour ago, cromiee said:

Looks like he was trying to say you had not bought a ticket to fish, thinking he can call it poaching and take your tackle if he was a EA officer. They will get the police in to take any tackle as it is criminal law at play, i doubt the police would remove tackle unless there are fish in a bag. 

I'd find out where he lived sounds like he may of come close to be claiming he worked for the EA or some other government body. 

EA are always identified in EA kit. They have to be. Stab vests as mentioned before. If he wasn’t then he wasn’t EA and was pulling one over on you. 

I’d report it to both fishery and your local EA office so they know someone is impersonating them. 

never known EA to act like that...they just ask for your license and not do it sneakily by false pretences. They’d also use a handheld device to check if you’d forgotten it.