Reservoir virgin!

commonly

3 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Something dave Lane said on his latest vlog may help you if it's weedy, the fish will make it easier for you if you can find clear spots as that may be where they like to feed, so mainly just find and concentrate on those and that might be a good starting point and then you can ignore and rule out large chunks of weedy water 👍

The only thing is that in my case, so I presume on other reservoirs, is that most of the weed tends to be marginal. There is a weedline that goes out to about 10metres, the next drop-off or ledge before it gets weed free.

On Ardleigh and Alton I found the depth was more important than weed free or not, the takes came between 6 and 12 feet.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

There is a weedline that goes out to about 10metres, the next drop-off or ledge before it gets weed free.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

spots as that may be where they like to feed, so mainly just find and concentrate on those

I've been twice prebaiting. The weed is as you say Nick. I have put a bit of bait on obvious clear spots. 

Went to book my boat safety course to be told I now need to buy a small electric motor and leisure battery!! Blinking annoying and quite costly! 🙄

3 hours ago, commonly said:

I've been twice prebaiting. The weed is as you say Nick. I have put a bit of bait on obvious clear spots. 

Went to book my boat safety course to be told I now need to buy a small electric motor and leisure battery!! Blinking annoying and quite costly! 🙄

Well that's a bummer , Commonly , having to buy your own outboard ? ; will there at least be a storage facility at the reservoir so you don't have to keep transporting the outboard backwards and forwards ? .

😃

29 minutes ago, crusian said:

Well that's a bummer , Commonly , having to buy your own outboard ? ; will there at least be a storage facility at the reservoir so you don't have to keep transporting the outboard backwards and forwards ? .

😃

Yep. I think it's COVID related in the fact it's only one person per boat, so I'm guessing the regulars got first look in, for the outboards. 

Not sure about storage! I can fit it in my extra long wheelbase van easily enough. My mate can't drive so that's 2 of everything we now need, due to COVID regs🙄🙄🙄. I've got to make my own coffee now!! 

I'm looking at possibly getting a little rib too! No point in having a motor with nothing to put it on! 

7 hours ago, commonly said:

Yep. I think it's COVID related in the fact it's only one person per boat, so I'm guessing the regulars got first look in, for the outboards. 

Not sure about storage! I can fit it in my extra long wheelbase van easily enough. My mate can't drive so that's 2 of everything we now need, due to COVID regs🙄🙄🙄. I've got to make my own coffee now!! 

I'm looking at possibly getting a little rib too! No point in having a motor with nothing to put it on! 

I use a 2.6m sib for sea fishing, it’s so much fun lol If you get one invest in a decent pump, them foot pumps are soul destroying 😂😂I’m waiting on my new outboard motor then I can get back out there 🤪👍😂

Edited by jh92

19 hours ago, commonly said:

Well I'm loosing my virginity tonight!!

All loaded up, going to have dinner with the kids then off to the resi! 

I don't mind admitting I'm quite excited to finally get on the bank 😁😁😁

Enjoy, hope you have a good one. 

1 hour ago, commonly said:

No joy yet! 

I'm made up to just be here. Fott high waves rolling in so hard to spot any activity. 

Thanks for all your well wishes lads

DSC_0305.JPG

Looking at that really does make a big water look appealing, I might do a session on the big part of my lake next time as I've got size envy 😁

7 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Looking at that really does make a big water look appealing, I might do a session on the big part of my lake next time as I've got size envy 😁

I'm not going to lie, I'm finding it a bit daunting, way out my comfort zone. It feels like I'm fishing at sea🤯

25 minutes ago, commonly said:

I'm not going to lie, I'm finding it a bit daunting, way out my comfort zone. It feels like I'm fishing at sea🤯

Did you use a boat to get to your swim , Commonly ? .

Have you screen captured Nicks' advice based on his Res. experience ? , maybe if you dipped into his posts when your confidence starts to wobble ? .

It looks like you're fishing into the wind , and I would think that a lot of natural food , bugs etc is being swept your way ? .

😃

Not sure I mentioned this earlier in the thread:

Something I have found is that it can take 2 days for carp to get onto your bait. Whether it is they aren't in the area, or are wary, I don't know. 

Last week I put bait in every day, a few boilies by throwing stick after an initial day one bucket of hemp, and blanked for 3 days. 

This week I did my initial hemp spombing, and on 2nd night had 2 carp. The only top up is a fresh stringer when I recast after giving Sky her walk. Almost every session I have caught on Alton is the same, blank first night, although the first fish back is the exception that proves the rule