Weighs slings?

jh92

23 hours ago, framey said:

Nope

they don’t need bars

11 hours ago, dayvid said:

I have both , a Fox STR and a ordinary mesh type one .

So IMO the ones with bars are not essential but nice to use. 

Thanks I will pick one up, I’ve got one with the bars but it’s pretty chunky and not ideal when trying to take minimal kit lol 

I have a plain mesh weigh sling and a retainer bar type. 

It is often easier to use the plain mesh sling than the retainer sling, it is easier to slide the mesh under the fish than lifting it over the bars on the mat. With the retainer type you need it open on the unhooking mat before putting the fish on.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I have a plain mesh weigh sling and a retainer bar type. 

It is often easier to use the plain mesh sling than the retainer sling, it is easier to slide the mesh under the fish than lifting it over the bars on the mat. With the retainer type you need it open on the unhooking mat before putting the fish on.

I put the fish in the flotation sling still in the net.  I'll remove the hook or cut the line and then slip the net out from under it, lift the fish to the mat in the sling.  Weigh, photo and return.

IMO that's the best I can do, certainly better than lifting out in the net if a good fish.

I've also lost a good fish pre-photos whilst retaining in the net, much to my dismay - a cracker to boot, so I deffo prefer the sling after that experience!!!

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

I put the fish in the flotation sling still in the net.  I'll remove the hook or cut the line and then slip the net out from under it, lift the fish to the mat in the sling.  Weigh, photo and return.

Same here mate. The fish doesn't leave the water until it's unhooked, rested a little, and ready for weighing/photographs.