Lead Clip or Helicopter

Hi all, 

Decisions...

I've got both lots of Terminal but I'm contemplating between Korda Lead Clip Action Pack (clay) or Korda Dark Matter Helicopter Setup (Clay)

korda-korda-lead-clip-action-pack.thumb.jpg.1f00db5b9aca2a3e3ec5803344e5ba6a.jpg

I do EXACTLY what the lead Clip shows on the pack.

452061724_51CJ9HAM17L._SR600315_PIWhiteStripBottomLeft035_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg.b53059fb14efde8b741c2ed8f174856b.jpg

But also have 3 of these too...only used once.

but the helicopter looks a throw anywhere setup.

Just now, yonny said:

I use both. If it's rough on the deck go with the heli. If it's cleaner a lead clip is more effective imo.

The right gear for the right spot.

If you just want something versatile it has to be the heli.

It's really versatility as only 1 water at moment I fish is weedy, I've always used lead Clip...inlines for me are mainly for PVA bag fishing, but I like the look of Heli setups, but I won't be dumping the lead either, as stated not a weed water fisher, most of the lakes I fish either have mud/clay bottom.

It's just the versitily of changing from a bottom to a pop up by a quick change.

Yeh can do on both setups but also thinking of tangles, lead Clip not to bad but Heli to me is 100% tangle free.

6 minutes ago, Highy said:

thinking of tangles, lead Clip not to bad but Heli to me is 100% tangle free.

I actually get less tangles with lead clips.

I don't think the heli is the tangle proof solution it's made out to be. Unless you hit the clip absolutely perfectly on the cast, the hook link can wrap/kink around the leader on impact with the surface. You can watch the rig all the way out and it'll look fine but when you use a stiff link you can sometimes see the tell-tale kink where it's wrapped up the leader after retrieval.

With a lead clip if you watch the rig on the way out and it lands ok you can be 100% sure it's tangle free imo.

Just my experience.

24 minutes ago, yonny said:

I don't think the heli is the tangle proof solution it's made out to be. Unless you hit the clip absolutely perfectly on the cast, the hook link can wrap/kink around the leader on impact with the surface. You can watch the rig all the way out and it'll look fine but when you use a stiff link you can sometimes see the tell-tale kink where it's wrapped up the leader after retrieval.

With a lead clip if you watch the rig on the way out and it lands ok you can be 100% sure it's tangle free imo.

Just my experience.

May experiment with 1 on each next time...👍👍

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Just my experience.

My thoughts exactly. Can’t remember the last time I had a tangle with a lead clip set up. Helis for Stiff links and chods (obs) but I’m not so keen on them for coated braid rigs.

3 hours ago, Highy said:

It's really versatility as only 1 water at moment I fish is weedy, I've always used lead Clip...inlines for me are mainly for PVA bag fishing, but I like the look of Heli setups, but I won't be dumping the lead either, as stated not a weed water fisher, most of the lakes I fish either have mud/clay bottom.

It's just the versitily of changing from a bottom to a pop up by a quick change.

Yeh can do on both setups but also thinking of tangles, lead Clip not to bad but Heli to me is 100% tangle free.

I don't think it's 100% mate, and like Yonny said I found I got quite a few tangles with coated braid even if I used an anti tangle boom to kick it away from the lead, I think it looks prettier and a bit more flashy, but I am yet to be Convinced it's a better set up or any more reliable, the main reason I would use one is if I really needed the extra distance,or if it was plugging into silt, otherwise I prefer a running rig or lead clip, or even pva bag with inline i can't help but think most of these offer better hooking capabilities, I would say the chod is a fish anywhere type of rig but pva bags will also mean you are usually fishing effectively and they will cushion the lead down more and stop it bedding the lead into the lake bed

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

Sorry but I'd never lock a lead onto a clip recipe for disaster that...

If you are using at as a lead clip in the conventional way then 100% absolutely agree with you

but think of it as say a Korda helisafe.

in normal circumstances you lock a lead on using a helicopter

Edited by framey

My preference is a helicopter rig with an in-line lead with a big eye swivel at the bottom of the lead which I attached a pva bag full of goodies nick the hookbait on the bag. Never get any tangles great for maggots at this time of year and if it’s a small bag you can get still get a good distance. I only use this rig on a firm bottle ( o err ) If I cant find a firm ish clay bottom it’s the lead clip for me  

38 minutes ago, Big Bass said:

My preference is a helicopter rig with an in-line lead with a big eye swivel at the bottom of the lead which I attached a pva bag full of goodies nick the hookbait on the bag. Never get any tangles great for maggots at this time of year and if it’s a small bag you can get still get a good distance. I only use this rig on a firm bottle ( o err ) If I cant find a firm ish clay bottom it’s the lead clip for me  

That seems like a good idea, I might try that sometime 👍

You could also do something similar with a double ring swivel for use with a leadclip rig on one, bag on the other 👍

Honest answer is I dislike Lead Clips and try not to use helicopter set-ups unless I absolutely have to.

My preference is for a Run Ring, fished on a slack line as a running lead, or a tight line as a Bolt rig. The running lead is first choice, but undertow and currents sometimes prevent that, so a tight line instead.

The helicopter set-up I found personally, on many occasions has cost me fish. From fish moving with no indication, as much as 30metres at range, to hookpulls due to the hook and mainline not being in the same plane or angle.