Marker Setup

On 15/01/2020 at 12:25, salokcinnodrog said:

I totally go against the 'no marker float' or not finding features daily. I have had so many carp within minutes of the marker float being cast in and baited up to.

@elmoputney I also did very well on the water you are thinking about spodding to the marker float with pellet, chops and whole boilies, although one swim I confess, was just cast out to with a stringer and put some boilies out by throwing stick as it was long range. The marker float was used as a target to aim at, whether it was over silt or gravel.

Sadly I lost the map I made of the water, but every trip I would still double check my swim with the float to be sure. I would do the same on Nazeing, and bait up to the marker with stringers. That would catch me plenty of fish.

I wasn't into wraps, but would clip up to features, then walk it out along the bank to the right distance so I knew the spot for the future. Silly things like from the gravel hump to the stick pushed into the ground that would have no meaning to other people.

The marker float was an essential though if I couldn't walk it out the distance. Cast as close as I could to it, knowing I was in the right area.

I think for me it's also more the visual aid of having something to aim at tbh 

Whether it be throwing stick, pult, spod, it's got to help to be more accurate I think 

If or when I've used a marker the last thing I do is put a large eyed swivel on. I just use a regular swivel simply because the large eye swivel might let the float up even if there is some weed/rubbish on the lake bed. If the float comes up with a regular swivel on then there's a much bigger chance that the area is clear. 

9 hours ago, emmcee said:

If or when I've used a marker the last thing I do is put a large eyed swivel on. I just use a regular swivel simply because the large eye swivel might let the float up even if there is some weed/rubbish on the lake bed. If the float comes up with a regular swivel on then there's a much bigger chance that the area is clear. 

I'm not necessarily looking for clear areas. As i'm pulling back I can feel weedy or silty spots, both things which may trap a ring or swivel and stop the float rising which is dependant on buoyancy of float as well.

Just because it is weedy may mean it is an area I want to fish, especially if the rest of the lake is barren.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm not necessarily looking for clear areas. As i'm pulling back I can feel weedy or silty spots, both things which may trap a ring or swivel and stop the float rising which is dependant on buoyancy of float as well.

Just because it is weedy may mean it is an area I want to fish, especially if the rest of the lake is barren.

Totally agree nick. I'm not fazed by a bit of weed nor a lot of weed for that matter. But I'd say most people use a marker to show where a clear spot is and a large ringed swivel might just let the float up in an area there is some weed etc. Its also another reason I don't use a boom section  for the lead, a boom will keep the float out of any weed and potentially misguide the person into thinking the area is clean when in fact it isn't. .  And as with most things, if everyone is finding/ fishing clear spots then I'm aiming to do the complete opposite anyway. 

14 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Totally agree nick. I'm not fazed by a bit of weed nor a lot of weed for that matter. But I'd say most people use a marker to show where a clear spot is and a large ringed swivel might just let the float up in an area there is some weed etc. Its also another reason I don't use a boom section  for the lead, a boom will keep the float out of any weed and potentially misguide the person into thinking the area is clean when in fact it isn't. .  And as with most things, if everyone is finding/ fishing clear spots then I'm aiming to do the complete opposite anyway. 

I think this is where our individual experience may come into play, causing our slight difference of opinions.😉

I do use a boom, but I will lead and cast around seeing how the marker float behaves and rises or not. The float and lead size we use may have some impact. A large float with a lighter lead will feel 'free and easy' or clear. The lead is being held up by the float, not giving lakebed feel.

Increase the lead size or decrease marker float size you can get a true feel.

I look at many marker floats on sale, and see the huge body and orange (or yellow) tip and think that they are for long distance fishing. I prefer the smaller ESP Marker floats, with a heavier lead which 'drags' rather than glides across the lakebed, giving me the feel, and if using a used uncoated scarred lead, even being able to see where the lead landed or dragged over when I look at it.

To me this brings me onto something else; I feel all the way back from cast impact point to bank, even if I do let the float up at specific points ('my spot' or another feature I have found). I rarely have just one cast. 

A lot of anglers say that "playing with the marker float is a fish scarer", I am the opposite and not found it so, but again maybe that is down to where and I use it, that word experience drops in again.

There are times I will have clipped and know my spots, but I have caught fish still with marker floats in place, not having had the time to reel it in before getting a take.

6 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

A lot of anglers say that "playing with the marker float is a fish scarer", I am the opposite and not found it so, but again maybe that is down to where and I use it, that word experience drops in again.

This varies from water to water I find. Sometimes you can get away with murder, other times just a couple of casts with a lead will see them disappear.

14 hours ago, emmcee said:

I was using a normal swivel last year on st Ives quite a bit, only thing is if you have pulled it through some weed previously that may still be stuck so even on a clear spot it might not rise cos of a Tonne of silkweed stuck to it, I also don't use a boom, but if you think it's fairly clear or you just want to make sure get your castable weed rake out not much different to banging a lead out and you will have cleared a small area for sure 😁

29 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I was using a normal swivel last year on st Ives quite a bit, only thing is if you have pulled it through some weed previously that may still be stuck so even on a clear spot it might not rise cos of a Tonne of silkweed stuck to it, I also don't use a boom, but if you think it's fairly clear or you just want to make sure get your castable weed rake out not much different to banging a lead out and you will have cleared a small area for sure 😁

If I'm honest, I hardly ever use a marker float any way. I just lead about. I don't need a marker.  I just use a far margin point of reference and how many wraps and Job done. As long as you are in line with said reference point and clipped up you will hit the same spot each time. Simples

I am quite happy just using a lead to find the spots but if I am baiting, I quite like having a target so I can launch bait everywhere but there 😂 but also I think even though you have them all clipped up right knowing you are landing both your rig and your bait  close to the float is good for confidence 

If it's a new lake or spot I may see how deep it is but mainly I use a float so I can visualise the spots better from the swim 

8 minutes ago, yonny said:

At least if you don't use a marker no-one can tell how bad your accuracy is 😂

I always think baiting accuracy is overrated anyway 😁

Much better to have a couple of accurate ones with a rig on with a few loose ones in the general area the pros call it a spot within a spot I just call it my baited area 😁

The only form of marker float I use is my fishspy. ( yes I know you don't like it yonny) but, it's not been out for a while. But it has it's place in my arsenal. 

I'm with you elmo, bait out in the general area, I feel is less likely to spook or warn fish, that there is a trap waiting for them. Saying that, I know some guys do very well with kilos dumped out of their Bait boat. Although you'd be surprised how much the bait spreads out on the way down (underwater footage) even the tightest spombing will spread out quite a bit. I suppose it's down to personal preference/confidence .

I'm confident in a good spread, generally put out by hand or with my catapult. 7-9 freebies in a pva stocking on the hook.