Marker Setup

His All

This year Marking & Spodding is on the top of my list...1 water I'm hoping to Hammer this year (seen the local BIG 26lb Dark resident).

Got all my Spod setup ready, but hoping to walk the lake at weekend to mark up...I've been looking at a few Marker setups and come up with making my own system.

Got a Float off a friend and the Link I've made myself (below).

IMG_20200114_092814.thumb.jpg.d78925257270a53f51a5dd770b75b282.jpg

35lb Korda Boom covered in shrink tube for more stiffer use...quick change link at bottom for lead covered with Tail rubber...Big eye swivel for braid to pass through covered with Tail rubber...both sides Krimped.

Saved myself about £5 for the Link but about £12 over all with the float too.

Edited by Highy

2 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

I find a Deeper much easier than thrashing around with a marker float. 

innocent.jpg.e6af1f7b72f18da00915e153901e42e9.jpg

Reading a deeper is quicker...but to me there's no satisfaction in that...

Feeling your led down pulling a few foot to feel the bottom...tap tap tap on gravel n a smooth glide for silt or mud...

Once I know the bottom I will then attach my float to mark the depth.

Deepers can tell you how deep n what is there but also don't have £150+ to read a lake.

The innocently smiling emoji was meant to suggest I was only gently teasing Highy,  after reading another thread.

I still love using my Mk IV although it is way past its sell by date so understand exactly what you mean. The old ways are often the most enjoyable.

£150 ? Some people pay that for a single high tech bite alarm.

Edited by carpepecheur

17 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

The innocently smiling emoji was meant to suggest I was only gently teasing Highy,  after reading another thread.

I still love using my Mk IV although it is way past its sell by date so understand exactly what you mean. The old ways are often the most enjoyable.

£150 ? Some people pay that for a single high tech bite alarm.

No worries pal...think the only thing I've paid over £150 each for is my Bivvy..3 Reels and 3 Alarms.

My plan for this year is 1 rod for bare lead chucking then spodding (double loop method for quick change) , and the other set up as a marker rod, 

I plan to use the bare lead to find the spots, then chuck the marker to it, maybe lead to the left and right of the float then swap over the bare lead for a spod and bait up accurately knowing its wrapped up right and bang on the float when it lands, this should mean I bait up with greater accuracy than just hitting the clip at the same distance, obviously if fishing to a feature this may be overkill but in open water this should give me really good accuracy, 

Sounds a bit of a faff but in reality if I want to fish 3 rods close together then it's bang, bang,, bang rods done bit of bait over the top oosh smashed it without too much disturbance,

until I know my spots then its fairly easy to just wrap them, chuck the float out couple of casts of the bare lead to check there is no fresh detritus on the bed wallop, wallop, wallop few spods and maybe some stick thrown baits In a bigger area and it's kaboom time, I'm fishing 😁

I am still not really planning for this season though 🤣🤣😂😁😁

Just now, Its-grim-up-north said:

I’m not a fan of spodding in general, much prefer looking for fish shows before pinging a few baits out with the catty causing little disturbance as possible. I don’t like the idea of spodding a load of bait out only for the fish to start showing elsewhere in the lake. 

It's tricky innit. All my biggest hits have come to very heavily spodded areas but you always run the risk of spooking them out of the area. They'll come back but it's no good them coming back 24 hrs later if your session is only 24 hrs long lol!

It's not a problem for longer sessions, and sometimes they'll be back very quickly, but it does do my swede in for short sessions. I've taken to baiting up the day before I fish which is fine on the quiet syndis or clubs but not possible on pressured circuit waters!

5 minutes ago, yonny said:

It's tricky innit. All my biggest hits have come to very heavily spodded areas but you always run the risk of spooking them out of the area. They'll come back but it's no good them coming back 24 hrs later if your session is only 24 hrs long lol!

It's not a problem for longer sessions, and sometimes they'll be back very quickly, but it does do my swede in for short sessions. I've taken to baiting up the day before I fish which is fine on the quiet syndis or clubs but not possible on pressured circuit waters!

I agree mate, unfortunately I only get time for 24 hour sessions usually so the tactic I stated above definitely works better for me. 

9 minutes ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

I’m not a fan of spodding in general, much prefer looking for fish shows before pinging a few baits out with the catty causing little disturbance as possible. I don’t like the idea of spodding a load of bait out only for the fish to start showing elsewhere in the lake. 

I appreciate what you are saying there makes a lot of sense, 

I know it doesn't sound like it but I do also want to keep disturbance to a minimum on the day 😂 

What I want to achieve is get it all done in a short space of time by having all the rods baited and ready to go then probably 10-15 mins of disturbance and then it's done and I may even just use a catty or throwing stick mainly this year I am toying with the idea of boilie only fishing but I do like a spod mix to get a spot going hopefully I can create a few of my own this year and keep them quiet 🤔

Also pre baiting shouldn't be an issue for me either if I plan it right, I could bait spots in the run up to a session, even if I couldn't get in that swim on the day any free feed they get is a win in my book and it's always a spot you can visit another time 

One thing I did find quite interesting to hear was that if you are pushed for time look at the 2 biggest far bank markers in your swim and find somene else's spots 😂 I do like honest carpy blogs 🤣 but probably a good way of keeping disturbance down 

If you want to keep disturbance down then lead/plumb all the swims on your lake whilst not fishing. Take a note pad with you and write down far margin markers and wraps to spots you find. Then if you turn up and fish are showing in a certain swim you don't have to plumb it. Distance sticks, note pad and job done with minimal disturbance.  

I did this on my current lake. Once I obtained my ticket I walked the lake and mapped every other swim pretty much. It helped me no end. You can have a fish on the bank sometimes before your second rods out. 

30 minutes ago, yonny said:

Bait boat? 🤔😅

Just drive it up and drop the pay load, would save on disturbance and probably not cost you the 24 hours waiting time, but it may darken your soul 😁

2 minutes ago, emmcee said:

If you want to keep disturbance down then lead/plumb all the swims on your lake whilst not fishing. Take a note pad with you and write down far margin markers and wraps to spots you find. Then if you turn up and fish are showing in a certain swim you don't have to plumb it. Distance sticks, note pad and job done with minimal disturbance.  

I did this on my current lake. Once I obtained my ticket I walked the lake and mapped every other swim pretty much. It helped me no end. You can have a fish on the bank sometimes before your second rods out. 

I got a log book for Xmas for this type of thing, one tbing I learnt this year was I could never remember the right amount of wraps to a spot even if I had fished it a couple of times old age creeping in  🤕

27 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I did that last winter on a water I was fishing, I blanked the full winter not even getting a bite or seeing a fish. My mates took the P*ss out of the fact I was blanking every session not knowing every morning before I packed up I spent a couple of hours leading about looking for features. Let’s just say they weren’t laughing when spring came around and I managed to nab eleven carp out in April. 

32 minutes ago, yonny said:

I used to use log books with little diagrams and catch reports and spots etc etc.

Now I just log markers/wraps on my phone. It's a pretty soulless way of doing it tbh but hey it works.

I looked at swim mapper but didn't want to pay for it being a tight southerner 😂

I enjoy writing so it might be nice to remember some details of events I may even start a blog this year to help look back  🙄

1 hour ago, emmcee said:

This is Mainly what I will be doing...Hopefully this Saturday...

I've got a map of the lake with what pegs are which but no in-depth readings...I will be noting, The peg No. How many wraps to Middle, then half way out, feeling all the way back for features.

So hopefully a few good hrs spent searching.

Thanks all for your input...Spodding will mainly be on anything 24hrs or more...use Bags for day sessions 👍

I totally go against the 'no marker float' or not finding features daily. I have had so many carp within minutes of the marker float being cast in and baited up to.

@elmoputney I also did very well on the water you are thinking about spodding to the marker float with pellet, chops and whole boilies, although one swim I confess, was just cast out to with a stringer and put some boilies out by throwing stick as it was long range. The marker float was used as a target to aim at, whether it was over silt or gravel.

Sadly I lost the map I made of the water, but every trip I would still double check my swim with the float to be sure. I would do the same on Nazeing, and bait up to the marker with stringers. That would catch me plenty of fish.

I wasn't into wraps, but would clip up to features, then walk it out along the bank to the right distance so I knew the spot for the future. Silly things like from the gravel hump to the stick pushed into the ground that would have no meaning to other people.

The marker float was an essential though if I couldn't walk it out the distance. Cast as close as I could to it, knowing I was in the right area.

A friend of mine I took to France for the first time spent ages creeping his marker rod out to a far tree and then promptly set up his distance sticks to get the amount of wraps

The got out his mk1 hearns wrapped them up To the same and promptly put the rig and a load of line into and through the tree on the other bank!! 
he did feel a noodle when I told him what he done but I wasn’t going to tell him to start off with nice start to a first day of a weeks session.