The future ???

carpepecheur

23 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

You are lucky you do not have severe arthritis like me. 

errrrmmm... I have chronic osteo arthritis in my knees (6 operations and no better, waiting for a knee replacement) and collapsed discs in my lower back (1 steroid injection and 2 nerve ablations to stop the pain... to no avail) arthritic fingers and wrists, tennis elbow, both ankles damaged ligaments due to motorcycle accidents and blind as a bat.... I can still chuck a lead out and I will till they put me into my pine overcoat

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

errrrmmm... I have chronic osteo arthritis in my knees (6 operations and no better, waiting for a knee replacement) and collapsed discs in my lower back (1 steroid injection and 2 nerve ablations to stop the pain... to no avail) arthritic fingers and wrists, tennis elbow, both ankles damaged ligaments due to motorcycle accidents and blind as a bat.... I can still chuck a lead out and I will till they put me into my pine overcoat

Jesus, how the hell do you get out of bed in a morning, I dont think the 6 million dollar man had that much wrong with him before they upgraded him

All I've got is tennis elbow and a bad back and it was enough to make me retire the spod rod

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

My dad had to wait for a knee op as by the time he got his appointment after 2 or 3 cancellations on the NHS he got prostate cancer so they couldn't do it, eventually  by the time he got round to his knee he was riddled with arthritis and polymyalgia and he could barely walk he got his op about 6 months ago and he is still very much in recovery, keep pushing for an appointment if you haven't got a date set yet and good luck I hope you get sorted soon, it does seem a slow recovery 

In other health news I had my last physio for a while hopefully as my back has seems a bit better for now, so that's good I think, 

13 hours ago, yonny said:

I'm not that fussed where most features are tbh. I use the carp to show me the where the features I need to know about are. If I spot them having a scoot-up I chuck a lead at them and estimate depth, and determine substrate through feel. Over the course of several sessions this method tends to tell me everything I need to know about a lake bed and why the carp favour certain areas.

I have no interest in letting technology do the work for me. It is not just about catching for me. It is the act of trying to catch them that I enjoy; trying to work it all out. I don't want to cut short the part I enjoy. I don't get the buzz if I don't have to work for it. I want it to be tricky. For me that incredible high of catching a target after weeks, months or even years of hard work cannot be replicated by taking short cuts.

Absolutely spot on mate. 👍

Each to their own on how they fish, where they fish, what they fish for etc but like you @yonny,  it's all about doing it for yourself and hearing that alarm sound . What a buzz. 

As for all this tech, so you find the spot ,you  find the fish, it still doesn't mean you will catch. 

9 hours ago, 760 said:

Agree totally, if you use the tech the op has posted to it's full potential and don't clear up  you should be doing something else. 

@Yonny  That is commitment, cannot wait to get off day ticket waters in a few years when I have acquired the necessary knowledge and skills I am happy to apply anywhere to get that feeling :)

I realize some don't agree with the fast acquisition of knowledge and I wish I could acquire it from fellow angler's but watercraft is hard to learn without help. I can see how fishing the type of venues I fish would not be of interest to some/many on the forums but I need to learn and they are the best place, at the moment. I can do this is by trial and error alone, being show by someone who knows their stuff or by buying tech that needs interpreting with a certain amount of trial, error and confirm, as best I can, with leading

Some people will only fish hard spots, other like to fish clean silt etc etc and they will all have there reasons, which they may not share. Many will ask about venues and 'what works' to learn and they may get help with that. People will go out in a boat with a spy glass to look into the water to find the weedy runs where the carp pass through, if they are eating bait, has it just gone off on the lake bed or for lowering their rig onto their spot etc etc.

There is almost an infinite amount of information about on the www on catching carp but waters fish very differently for different reasons at the same time of year. For some the journey is about working it with eyes and leg work, applying traditional methods to find there spots, that is fine by me and wished I was able to apply that. 

The thought of using sonar to drop you rig on a carps head does not appeal to me at all but I would happily use a boat or wade out to lower my rig to perfection, mad isn't it :D

Strangely enough you may well find one 'big name' angler prefers to fish the gravel bars, yet another prefers the silty areas. Both may well have caught 'that' special fish from their chosen area.

I would never claim innocence, I have used various methods to get baits in place, swimming, bait boat or boat, (although not for over 20years), wading, or casting it.

We all have different strongpoints, and probably a few weaknesses.

The hard part is working out what works for you, within the rules (!)

16 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

Jesus, how the hell do you get out of bed in a morning, I dont think the 6 million dollar man had that much wrong with him before they upgraded him

All I've got is tennis elbow and a bad back and it was enough to make me retire the spod rod

slowly and carefully...😋😎 40 years of shift work in a heavy manufacturing job take their toll, plus a couple of bike accidents and playing cricket up till my late forties... I'm 61 now and yes it hurts getting up in the morning... that's why I retired last year... my old employers have just gone back to a 12 hour day and with an hours worth of travelling each way there was no way I was going to continue... the times of me working 12 hour days and nights are long gone 

and that's where the tech comes into its own, for when you cant stand there chucking a spod out 150 times a day or don't want to annoy everybody by chucking the marker out 50 times on a day ticket venue

so if theres gizmos out there that let people carry on fishing when otherwise they would have had to call it a day then nobody should look down their noses at you for choosing to fish the best way that you can

There seems to be a misconception that technology makes it easier to catch fish.

Bluelabel says he is “as blind as a bat” but can still cast within a gnats whisker of overhanging trees on the far bank. I am guessing he wears spectacles. That is advanced technology that helps you see more clearly. (I am NOT having a dig at anyone here just trying to demonstrate a point).

Imagine two identical lakes, one is like pea soup and the other is crystal clear. On the clear lake you can see every patch of weed, gravel bar deep hole and watch the fish patrolling around. You may want to take some binoculars for a closer look. Is that misuse of technology?

On the pea soup lake you can see nothing except for the odd fish jumping or patch of bubbles. An echo sounder would reveal much more information but it would never give you as much information as you would have fishing the clear lake. What on earth is wrong with that?

26 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

and that's where the tech comes into its own, for when you cant stand there chucking a spod out 150 times a day

I don't think anyone has a problem with tech being used for medical or disability reasons buddy. But what percentage of users are using it for that reason?

5 %?

10 %?

I reckon it's nearer 1 % personally.

19 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

and that's where the tech comes into its own, for when you .... don't want to annoy everybody by chucking the marker out 50 times on a day ticket venue

I personally am far more bothered by remote control boats charging around than leads hitting the water.

Not knocking it... if that's your bag, fine, crack on... just saying it's not for me... and yes I do wear glasses (hardly new tech... they've been around since 1600) and my casting skills come from doing it since I was a nipper...(fishing for 57 years)

to me a lot of the tech is just more stuff to cart about... if in the future I need to use it... then so be it, but for now... I'll toddle on as I am

4 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

Imagine two identical lakes, one is like pea soup and the other is crystal clear. On the clear lake you can see every patch of weed, gravel bar deep hole and watch the fish patrolling around. You may want to take some binoculars for a closer look. Is that misuse of technology?

if you think about it all fishing gear is technology but some people see certain things as going to far.

like dynamite is technology, but I don't think many people would like it rocked up and blew the bejesus out of a lake to catch some fish.

I know that's a bit of an extreme example but I like the thought of blowing sh*t up :grin:

2 hours ago, yonny said:

I don't think anyone has a problem with tech being used for medical or disability reasons buddy. But what percentage of users are using it for that reason?

5 %?

10 %?

I reckon it's nearer 1 % personally.

I think you are probably right. Perhaps the EA should have a Blue Badge system for handicapped anglers.

I guess what it all comes down to with tech is where you draw your own personal line, I don't really have an issue with others using it, I don't really see someone choosing to map a lake with a deeper as cheating, in fact I wouldn't really say its cheating to throw out a fishspy on a spot you have found to check what's really down there, however driving a bait boat to a spot you couldn't cast and bait to is a slightly different thing, and maybe using a bait boat to map the lake may be different again, I guess I've decided if you cast it, then it's kind of OK :)

I'm off to France at the weekend and will be using a boat. 

Mainly because the distance is probably just outside my comfort zone for casting but also because it will make my life easier.

At the end of the day I've spent a lot of money on this trip so want to give my self the best chance to catch a whopper.

10 hours ago, muftyboy said:

I'm off to France at the weekend and will be using a boat. 

Mainly because the distance is probably just outside my comfort zone for casting but also because it will make my life easier.

At the end of the day I've spent a lot of money on this trip so want to give my self the best chance to catch a whopper.

I think an actual boat is different to a bait boat, Sea Fisherman would be pretty stuck without one and you still have to physically go out there not just sit on a deck chair with a controller it's still putting in a lot of effort to achieve the result 

12 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I think an actual boat is different to a bait boat, Sea Fisherman would be pretty stuck without one and you still have to physically go out there not just sit on a deck chair with a controller it's still putting in a lot of effort to achieve the result 

Sorry , meant to put bait boat.

😅😅