Barbed vs Barbless

elmoputney

Right here we go then I've been using microbarbed size 4 hooks and also size 4 barbless recently now one thing I just noticed was that the microbarbed hook isn't penetrating as well as the barbless and after another 3am bream which was a bit of a pig to unhook, Ive been wondering about using barbless only as I've caught plenty on them, and not really lost any on the fun lake, and it would make unhooking bream without a net a piece of cake, it may be because the microbarb on a size 4 hook is quite big 

I also listened to a Kev Nash carpcast and he only allows barbless on the church lake as he doesn't want his fish to be at risk of getting tethered which makes sense to me and he also thinks he got more takes when he switched to barbless what are your thoughts on this one please? 

I am leaning towards barbless only which I can see may penetrate more easily and hook more fish, if it was super sharp naturally 

Micro barbed for me  , on your water and would defo use micro barb as I would be gutted to loose one if it weeded me I think you've got more chance of the fish still being on if you have to go slack when weeded .

If Nash was that worried he would stop selling barbed hooks , can't see how you can get more takes if the hooks are sharp then by the time it penetrates to the barb its to late and the fish is hooked . 

2 hours ago, dayvid said:

Personally Micro Barbed, but no problem using Barbless and do on situations where the outcome could mean I lose the fish, 

I like that answer that's good logic 

What's the best tool for cutting a hook shank safely if attached to a fish? I mean normally they do come out OK but that one was stuck in a tough bit of lip, 

The club lake I fish regularly had a barbless only rule but a lot of the fish had pretty gammy mouths. Barbless undoubtably go in easier but during a fight they do tend to twist and turn a bit and cause problems. Barbed hooks, although harder to penetrate do tend to stay in one place. The Committee finally decided to allow barbed (preferably micro barbed) hooks to alleviate the problem. During the barbless rule, I caught plenty of fish (well stocked) and lost very few and never felt handicapped. If using barbed hooks, you can always crush the bard down with a pair of forceps to keep it as small as possible.

7 hours ago, elmoputney said:

What's the best tool for cutting a hook shank safely if attached to a fish? I mean normally they do come out OK but that one was stuck in a tough bit of lip, 

This is what I use. They are kept with some forceps and spring balance in a small bag beside my landing net so that I can deal with fish and return it as soon as it is landed unless it merits a photo. Main use is when hook catches in net as well as mouth and is difficult to free easily. Have used the cutters twice on dogs that have picked up discarded hooks.

cutters.jpg

Edited by carpepecheur

I prefer the side cutter version to those end cutters 

so there should be something to suit all 

just make sure they are sharp some of the cheap nasty ones will leave a burr like a barb so defeat the object

elmo 

the ones you were using are more for things like solder or fine wires not hardened like a hook

Edited by framey

14 minutes ago, framey said:

Many years ago, I was sea fishing and one of the customers got a hook in his finger past the barb. I can still hear his screams as his mates tried to pull the hook out. Then the skipper came out with a pait of cutters, cut the shank, and removed the hook point first. I have always carried a similar pair of cutters ever sicnce.

Edited by carpepecheur

16 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Defiantly Side cutters , but dont buy cheap , buy decent ones as these will cut first time and with ease.

3 hours ago, framey said:

so there should be something to suit all 

just make sure they are sharp some of the cheap nasty ones will leave a burr like a barb so defeat the object

elmo 

the ones you were using are more for things like solder or fine wires not hardened like a hook

Yeah they were for my vaping coils but I as I had them and no longer use them I thought I would try 😁

I think I like the side cutter types myself more will get some of those I think 

I have Side cutters as I found the end cutters don't always fit in the fishes mouth😉, and Stanley Fat Max are definitely the best.

I have no problem using barbed or barbless, although I do think that barbless can wobble and cut more during the fight as the fish changes direction, enlarging hookholds. A small or micro barb prevents that wobbling.

I have seen carp eject barbed hooks after a snap-off, as long as there is no added weight.

By that I mean no lead, leadcore or rubbish providing tension. 

If there is tension then it does not matter if the hook is barbed or barbless, it can be difficult to eject.

• 10 months later...
On 05/08/2019 at 19:57, elmoputney said:

Right here we go then I've been using microbarbed size 4 hooks and also size 4 barbless recently now one thing I just noticed was that the microbarbed hook isn't penetrating as well as the barbless and after another 3am bream which was a bit of a pig to unhook, Ive been wondering about using barbless only as I've caught plenty on them, and not really lost any on the fun lake, and it would make unhooking bream without a net a piece of cake, it may be because the microbarb on a size 4 hook is quite big 

I also listened to a Kev Nash carpcast and he only allows barbless on the church lake as he doesn't want his fish to be at risk of getting tethered which makes sense to me and he also thinks he got more takes when he switched to barbless what are your thoughts on this one please? 

I am leaning towards barbless only which I can see may penetrate more easily and hook more fish, if it was super sharp naturally 

I've fished both barbless and micro and what I use depends on what I have in front of me if its heavy weed micro all day as I dont want the hook slipping and moving in the carps mouth causing damage if it's clear I use a barbless spearpoint  which I find does the job hope this helps