Bait budget

emmcee

Following on from a post I put on the "newest purchase " thread, which was 90kg of bait for pre-baiting, I was just curious as to how much people roughly spend a year/season on bait? 

Now last season and this season I hardly carp fish once the carp spawn til probably end of September. Even so I'll end up doing 200kg plus of boilie.  If I was really going for it then that would be almost doubled. Now I know that amounts to a few quid and is a lot of bait but fishing is my only vice and because I get bait for a few mates as well I get a good deal. Over the course of a season I'll probably get between 700 and 1000kg , sometimes more than that of bait for me and my mates. Not being big headed but I've so far always got/had good results from this so I don't see it as a waste. 

So just wondered how much bait you use in a season?  Or as the title says,  what budget do you allow? 

I'm not sure so far 40kg boilies (£275) and about 50kg of (£70 approx) particle and 30kg of pellets( £40 ish ), plus about £90 worth of pop ups,wafters ,glugs etc,

And about £80 worth of basemix and ingredients etc, 

I tend to stock up on particle when monster particles have a £1 a kilo sale though, which se seems to be every weekend but I didn't know that then :)

so getting on for £500 then eek, and I'm starting to get low again 

I have 10kg particles in the freezer and about the same of boilies plus 2 bags of sweetcorn,

And some dynamite robin red pellets left, which I have to say are great, within 5 mins of me throwing some 4mm out this morning with a handful of glugged boilies, the water was clouding up and they were going absolutely nuts for them 

Last few sessions i have just been taking boilie 3 kilo usually, gets a bit pricey for me though so i'm only taking 1 kilo next week maybe 2, but i have just ordered some pellets from Purepellets 2k of mix and 2k of GLM, plus i have 2k of Coppens carp pellets bought local. 

Going to mix up around 2kilo of the pellets in with a bag of frozen corn half a kilo of cooked hemp a tin of chickpeas and most of what ever boilies i buy, should bulk the spomb mix out a bit, also got a good quality tuna oil fish mix liquid to zing it all up a bit.

Still using the Cov Gold boilies and matchinging wafter for two rods the third will have a pop up on , either a fruity cream pear, krill or a salty squid. 

So i would say about 20 quid for two days angling bait wise.

Edited by Carpbell_ll

We have for this year been making our own boilies, buying hemp, maize and nuts in raw form. We got 2x free chest freezers off Gumtree for storage, 1x for base mix (not switched on) and other for made baits. 

Time is certainly a big factor when rolling your own baits but so far this year we have managed to cut our bait bill by more than 2/3rds and it is certainly more rewarding catching on your own baits. 

Next year, with the money saved, will invest in a industrial food mixer and hopefully over the winter I can finish my modified doughnut cooker to seriously speed up the process

The numbers side of things are:

Boilies are about £4.50/kg (inc modification for hookers)

Hemp £40 for 25kg (dry)

Maize £15 for 25kg (dry)

Nuts/powders/liquids/sugars/salts £180 to make 100kg

So 100kg of boilie and 150kg of mix/blend will be £700ish BUT we don't really use particals during summer/warmer months, after spawning

I would normally go through 100-120kg a year, at a cost of £5.50 a kilo. Particle would be double or treble that amount but at much less cost. All together roughly £750 a year. throw on the pop-ups, liquid and hard hookers it's probably around £1000 (although its always on a monthly basis so never a massive outlay) 

I have just been offered a monthly allowance for bait however which is up to 20kg free so I'll be saving a good few quid which will allow me to use more boilie than I have done before. Ideally I would use as much bait as time and budget allows. If I could afford to bait up with 5-10kg every night then I would.

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

I would normally go through 100-120kg a year, at a cost of £5.50 a kilo. Particle would be double or treble that amount but at much less cost. All together roughly £750 a year. throw on the pop-ups, liquid and hard hookers it's probably around £1000 (although its always on a monthly basis so never a massive outlay) 

I have just been offered a monthly allowance for bait however which is up to 20kg free so I'll be saving a good few quid which will allow me to use more boilie than I have done before. Ideally I would use as much bait as time and budget allows. If I could afford to bait up with 5-10kg every night then I would.

I know when I switched to just boilie,  over the course of a season my results were better. I mean as weight of fish rather than numbers. Though the numbers were certainly there too. 

13 hours ago, emmcee said:

I know when I switched to just boilie,  over the course of a season my results were better. I mean as weight of fish rather than numbers. Though the numbers were certainly there too. 

I agree that the boilie-only approach does seem to up the average capture weight.

13 hours ago, emmcee said:

7 minutes ago, yonny said:

I agree that the boilie-only approach does seem to up the average capture weight.

I agree too. Difficult to bait up with 10kg of boilie every couple of days though unfortunately unless you get loads for free or you're rich! I like to have 5-10 spots on the go at any one time spread over the lake so I can feel confident when I arrive regardless of the conditions.

3 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Difficult to bait up with 10kg of boilie every couple of days though unfortunately unless you get loads for free or you're rich!

Agree. For that reason I tend only to switch to the boilie-only approach if I've got a spot genuinely rocking in an area that I'll not be stitched up.

My bait bill is different every year, dependant on where I fish.

This year so far has been cheap, around 5kilos of Ballistic B, some sweetcorn and a fair bit of bread crumb for Method feeders. 

Earith was around £75 a month on base mix so around £1000 on bait for the year, although that was 15years ago now.

Brackens was around £30 a month of field test boilies, which I paid around 50% off retail price.

I would much rather spend money on bait than tackle. My biggest season outlays are usually tickets and bait, I only buy tackle if I do need an update or upgrade.