Old Rigs... save or chuck/disassemble...????

bluelabel

8 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I have 2 huge rig wallets full of old rigs... after a session they go into my wallets & they are a bloomin' mess....  I think I'm going to disassemble them and tie a few new ones to just a couple of patterns.. what do you guys (and gals) do with yours...???

Once used they get cut down and I save swivels and rig rings. Old hooks go in a tin can, squashed down  and into recycling bin.

Swivels and rings can be reused. Hooklink material gets added to my line for recycling.

5 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

I know everyone is responsible in here so it isnt aimed at anyone. But not all are. I had to call the bailiff the other week to let him know a swan had a hooklength hanging out it’s beak. It was causing it much distress. Looked like the hook had impaled its cheek and the braid was hanging out and wrapping round it’s beak. No line from the swivel so i doubt a snap off. I suspect someone discarded a rig with a boilie on the hair still and the swan had a go. 😔

I take my dog with me so I give the swim a good go over picking up rigs and discarded line before we fish. Fires me right up when you see 20ft of mono just chucked to the side when it takes a few seconds to wrap it up and put in a bag. I would say in the last 3 sessions I’ve picked up a couple rigs and over 100ft of mono from different places.

I salvage everything I can from my rigs and have started to do it to the ones I find aswell lol 

2 minutes ago, jh92 said:

I take my dog with me so I give the swim a good go over picking up rigs and discarded line before we fish. Fires me right up when you see 20ft of mono just chucked to the side when it takes a few seconds to wrap it up and put in a bag. I would say in the last 3 sessions I’ve picked up a couple rigs and over 100ft of mono from different places.

I salvage everything I can from my rigs and have started to do it to the ones I find aswell lol 

I thought that was just me salvaging bits from where I have found other peoples rigs. 😳

Saves me a fortune in micro ring swivels😖😆

Like you I clear up the swim so Sky (my dog) is safe. If she finds food, a boilie or hookbait, she will snaffle it quicker than the blink of an eye.

I do the same on my regular dog walks round the local park lake, picking up and clearing rubbish.

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

20ft of mono just chucked to the side when it takes a few seconds to wrap it up and put in a bag

I did this for years, then as with most things in life, someone showed me if you cut both ends of the wrap, the line then becomes 4-6"long and no longer poses a threat to the wildlife etc. should it ever be taken from the bin in future, simply genius

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Like you I clear up the swim so Sky (my dog) is safe. If she finds food, a boilie or hookbait, she will snaffle it quicker than the blink of an eye.

I do the same on my regular dog walks round the local park lake, picking up and clearing rubbish.

I came across a very distressed lady whilst walking the dog. Her dog had picked up a treble hook in its paw. It then tried to bite at it and ended up with his paw tethered to its cheek and was in A LOT of pain. We whisked it to the vet who sedated and operated immediately. He said dogs picking up discarded hooks was quite a common problem.

Spent nearly 2 hours yesterday stripping old rigs and tidying my rig wallets... think I dumped about 14 rigs that were useless and recycled the hooks after giving them a quick burr on the stone.

saved a few rig sleeves and swivels.... and now my wallets look tidy (ish) really should do this more often.... all that said, I'm out on Sunday with my Young Padawan and no doubt I'll tie a couple of fresh rigs and try and make room for them in the wallets.... I really must learn... either that or start buying ready mades