Hello again all it's been a while

13 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I think I might just be older and grumpier these days Nick :)

Was never my plan to fish a day ticket long term was just hoping to catch some before I moved on, need another try yet , might even try and sneak in 1 overnighter just to break this duck, 

13 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've also noticed a lot of people drinking whilst fishing lately got no objection to a beer or two in the evening as the sun goes down, but walking about with a bottle at lunch time doesn't sit that well really is this what they call a "social"  I guess I must just be the anti social :)

I'm definitely grumpier and older when I'm fishing. I go to relax, and try to catch, and I can do without the constant drinking of others while on the bank.

I have most definitely become more anti-social, both fishing and at home.

I think I just need to catch one on this lake to remind myself I can do it then I'm off to harder pastures for a real challenge, I've settled on St Ives now, will be joining for April I think so 

With this in mind I've decided to try a different QB basemix and I am going to to go Coco loco, in the hope it's more instant, but I shall also be switching squid for plum on the other mix and going one on each rod hopefully they will both work 

Just had another great chat with Simon of quality baits, he really is very helpful, gives good advice on his products and nothing is too much trouble , I've got some basemix to try on the way and I think I know what direction to head for with my long term plans well worth a contact if you want to get into baitmaking without the price tag 

Hi guys 

After yesterday's debacle one of the things to come out of it was that it's hard to have confidence in a bait you haven't caught with especially if you are spending a few hours to make some for every trip, this could be time spent prebaiting or walking the lake, I think this could prove a better use of my time, I have looked at premier baits this morning and they seem to have good deals certain 5kg deals for £30 on matrix and aminos with peach and black pepper, the great thing about this is that I could also buy basemix as well so I can keep a plentiful stock and tweak if needs be, but to start with could spend time working on my angling rather than bait 

Trouble is ive never used premier baits either ? Has anyone used either of these baits before ? 

11 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Hi guys 

After yesterday's debacle one of the things to come out of it was that it's hard to have confidence in a bait you haven't caught with especially if you are spending a few hours to make some for every trip, this could be time spent prebaiting or walking the lake, I think this could prove a better use of my time, I have looked at premier baits this morning and they seem to have good deals certain 5kg deals for £30 on matrix and aminos with peach and black pepper, the great thing about this is that I could also buy basemix as well so I can keep a plentiful stock and tweak if needs be, but to start with could spend time working on my angling rather than bait 

Trouble is ive never used premier baits either ? Has anyone used either of these baits before ? 

Firstly, don't start tweaking a bait. Use one bait only and stick with it. Chances are if you're not catching it's you and not your bait that's wrong. 

As for premier baits, 100% confident in them. Been using them for probably 20yrs myself and caught shed loads of carp. Which ever bait of theirs you go with , use with total confidence.  Personally,  matrix RR,  aminos peach and pepper will be your best bets. I caught loads on matrix RR.  

Thanks guys 

It probably is me tbh, I've made mistakes and don't feel like I am fishing at a 100% of my previous capability yet, just need that confidence boosting first run really, it's not like the olden days when I had time on my side and could be sitting there for a couple of days, now I need to try and make every second count as I won't get out as often or for as long as I would like, i think I learn something each time but mainly this week's lesson was my initial plan was better than the execution and my choice of swim let me down and having taken the bivvy and bedchair meant I couldn't move as easily so I sat it out ( I had planned to try and sleep but couldn't chainsaws all day ) 

There is always next time and I will learn from my mistakes. Hopefully I've suffered enough now :)

I think I will have a look at premier can't decide which to go with tbh i like the sound of the aminos with peach and black pepper, as I quite fancy a peach flavour but the matrix sounds good too :)

On 10/03/2019 at 08:22, elmoputney said:

I've made mistakes and don't feel like I am fishing at a 100% of my previous capability yet, just need that confidence boosting first run really

Let's not forget it's still winter buddy, and despite the decent conditions we've had there are waters all over the country that are still completely shut-up-shop. Don't let it knock your confidence yet mate. Winter blanking is pretty normal, particularly if you've not kept the bait going in since autumn. Once they've switched off I find no amount of pre-baiting can wake them back up, you need to keep them awake throughout by baiting through autumn into winter.

The temps will be on their way up soon mate. Just make sure you're paying attention when they wake up.

Cheers Yonny 

I am always hard on myself to be honest, but with hindsight I know I could've fished better, it was a small winter challenge whilst getting back into it, it's been a good training exercise and I have learnt a few bits and re learnt a few others so hopefully stepping into the next challenge I can do a little better and maybe even catch one, not going to be easy though but would it be as satisfying if it was easy ?

I am going for a look round the new place again in a bit gonna start trying to make some sense of it April 1st is when I can start fishing it so may as well try and look for ideas until then 

2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

not going to be easy though but would it be as satisfying if it was easy ?

Totally agree mate, carp fishing is supposed to be tricky. Without that we'd not get the buzz when it all comes good. And it WILL come good for you mate. Winter is a brutal time to start fishing after a lay off. Keep t it mate, it'll be worth it in the end.

Just been for a look about again looks like travelling light is essential, so may need to take a tackle diet, lots of walking and looking required I think, only 10 mins from home and a slightly indirect route to work so I should be able to walk round quite often 

There were quite a lot of mussel shells around the banks, would they have been left by anglers or other species do we think ? 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Just been for a look about again looks like travelling light is essential, so may need to take a tackle diet, lots of walking and looking required I think, only 10 mins from home and a slightly indirect route to work so I should be able to walk round quite often 

There were quite a lot of mussel shells around the banks, would they have been left by anglers or other species do we think ? 

Are the mussel shells in the margins , under water , or on the bank a little above the water level , Elmo ? . 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Definately on the bank and quite a few of them dotted around 

Otters can open mussel shells in a few ways, floating on their backs in the water with a stone in their paws breaking the shell with the stone, or biting the 'corner' between the canine and back teeth. First one the shell tends to be dropped in the water. 

Herons tend to stab the shell, mink are biters of smaller mussels.