Flavour of the Week - Bait

Anything from Responsive Baits, personal favourites being the Mighty Marine and Monster Crab and Plum. I've used many different boilies over the years and not found anything as effective in my angling. 

I also swear by my homemade pop ups, got me many a bite when nothing else would.

Particle-wise, my current mix is maples, maize and tic beans. Maples are a must for me, they'll always be part of my particle mix, the other items change based on what I am trying to do with the mix. Groats normally get included when there aren't many small fish about. 

2 hours ago, Highy said:

Any1 ever tried chickpeas...heard they are a really good bait alternative if the waters your on dont allow tigers....especially with a good helping of spice..

Great bait imo. 

Good for baiting up with too as they are so cheap.

If I'm just baiting I'll use straight out of the tin.

If I'm gonna use them as a hookbait too then I prepare them myself as the tinned ones are too soft.

They take on colour and flavour really well too.

2 hours ago, muftyboy said:

Great bait imo. 

Good for baiting up with too as they are so cheap.

If I'm just baiting I'll use straight out of the tin.

If I'm gonna use them as a hookbait too then I prepare them myself as the tinned ones are too soft.

They take on colour and flavour really well too.

Asda 21p a tin...but could i add stuff straight to the tinned ones lime spices and salt...could i leave a couple out to harden a bit in the spices.??

45 minutes ago, Highy said:

Asda 21p a tin...but could i add stuff straight to the tinned ones lime spices and salt...could i leave a couple out to harden a bit in the spices.??

I've never tried with the tinned ones.

I'd imagine as they are already soaked In water they wouldn't really absorb much .

Turmeric is one of my favourites when preparing them myself, especially in the colder months.

18 minutes ago, Highy said:

my preferred bait is the boilie, specifically CherryCarp's  Chocaberry ( Cranberry, Chocolate Malt, Broccacel, MRP, Lupin and Niger Seed, smell and taste orgasmic) for the fruity hit and KMT ( Squid, Monster crab,Kelp Marine and Tangerine) for max fishyness, both fished over a small bed of maples, tares, hemp, corn, chops and a few freebies mixed in.

both have turned my capture rates round and refilled my MoJo bottle to the max.

my reason for using them,,,

i was wary at first of trying Cherry Carp baits because of the negativity of some on here who seemed more authoritative than me about bait companies, as it turned out tho these folks churning out the negativity were just jumping on the 'hate waggon' because they didnt like the way that the bait side had split from their parent company or just belching out what they had read online, so i waited and observed for almost a year, asking questions direct, queries about ingredients and inclusion rates, preservatives (shelf life) nutritional values etc etc and was at first suprised to find out that it was the actual directors who were chatting with me and not some flunkey paid to fob us off.

i have been assured that their prices and inclusion rates will not be compromised nor beaten and so far they have been true, (£4.50pK to £6.50pK) they also do a tackle range that i may do a F,O,T,W, on soon :lol:

Spicey fish and liver boilies as a mainstay...… But leaning towards squid too, with the next lot...…. I find it difficult to leave out the liver, either in powder or liquid form, awesome bait ingredient.....

I bought a load of particle this year, maples, hemp, buckwheat and tares, drew in a lot of tench…… So just using plain old maple peas now. They take on loads of liquid food and are easier to get out than the smaller particles if I'm fishing closer in..... I can launch prepped maples a good 30yrds plus with a baiting spoon on a landing pole, don't want to be spodding at that range (if at all)….

Messed up on the hemp seed, bought the huge hemp, takes ages to soak and sink and prep (up to 4 days)…… Love the buckwheat, cheaper than hemp, considered a whole protein, and replicates tiny snails and mussels really well and is really easy to prep...…… Keeping it all in a cool dry place, hoping it will still be ok for next year, as I'm not getting through it very quickly, been using mainly boilies on a water where you don't need to hold them..😊

2 hours ago, Highy said:

Been outand bought a bag of chick peas....1st time using so starting small...

Handful in a cereal tub...Yellow die & manilla liquid with some water all soaking for next 2 days and turning colour...then will boil/simmer...air dry then may freeze..

Keep an eye on them mate as I have had them split before 48 hours in the past.

Also when cooking I boil until I can crush them into a mush between my thumb and forefinger.

If they bounce out they are not ready.

I’m solely in the Active Bait Solutions (ABS) camp. Been using there bait for 6 years now and unless something drastic happens will probably stay with them forever. A great company and an amazing bait...... the only problem I have is there so much to choose from 😩😩😬

Did 4 years on there plan b done the last few on there i bait. My catch rate always holds it own on my water that sees quite a bit of mainline/sticky baits going in.

I buy chick peas unprepared and will usually have them in some shape or from in my particle mix but I’ll be honest I’ve never used em has a hookbait as all of my fishing nowadays is pop ups or zigs 🙄😆😆😬

15 hours ago, Highy said:

Been outand bought a bag of chick peas....1st time using so starting small...

Handful in a cereal tub...Yellow die & manilla liquid with some water all soaking for next 2 days and turning colour...then will boil/simmer...air dry then may freeze..

I'm not sure I'd air dry  , you need particles to fully absorb water before using hence the soaking & cooking . Freezing them is fine .

I remember pre baiting chick peas every night for a week before fishing a water and having a cracking 24hrs .

So my bait choice is a bit up in the air at the moment. My fishing for the last year has been all about solid bags of pellet with either a sticky baits pepper and peach orange pop up or the ever faithful mainline tutti fruity pop up. If im using a straight boilie approach, I will still use the pop ups but i will bait with Urban Nutcracker......To be honest im still using them as often stores reduce the price so im picking up 5k for £30. Urban does catch me fish, But because i tend to use it for no more then baiting up i cant sit here and say its great. I never fish a straight bottom bait or straight wafter, I will happily use a bottom bait topped with half a pop up.

Well my current bait choice is a custom rolled bait by premier baits. I've been using it now for well over 10 yrs , more like 15yrs but I have also rolled a bit of my own in that time. Mainly milk protein  for winter fishing when I do it or a nut bait that my mate designed that was and is doing very very well. I've rolled these different baits not because  I felt that the premier bait wasn't good enough but because I knew the other baits were being used to good effect on the waters I was fishing so if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

As for particle, I do use it but only when I feel I need to. This will mainly be after spawning and if I'm on a new water.  The particle mix I use had once again been designed by a mate. When I first got told about it he told me to bait up with it in advance as the fish take a while to get on it. I thought he was full of nonsense so started baiting a snag tree on a new water so I could see the reaction. He wasn't wrong.  First bucket load took 4 days to be eaten, could clearly see it hadn't been touched until the 4th day. This went on until after a couple of weeks they were smashing it up as soon  as it went in. It's a simple mix pretty much with only 3 particles, ooops I meant 4 and the 4th one is the one that does the business.  Works extremely well where nuts are banned, and yet you won't find a single nut in the mix. I've had bailiffs root through the bucket before now and they don't find a single nut either and yet over a quarter of the bucket is nut. A very clever mix but sadly can't say what it is or I'll have to k**l you 😂

2 hours ago, oscsha said:

I'm not sure I'd air dry  , you need particles to fully absorb water before using hence the soaking & cooking . Freezing them is fine .

I remember pre baiting chick peas every night for a week before fishing a water and having a cracking 24hrs .

Also got Maize..Hemp..Conditioner too..hopefully be ok...

3 hours ago, emmcee said:

Well my current bait choice is a custom rolled bait by premier baits. I've been using it now for well over 10 yrs , more like 15yrs but I have also rolled a bit of my own in that time. Mainly milk protein  for winter fishing when I do it or a nut bait that my mate designed that was and is doing very very well. I've rolled these different baits not because  I felt that the premier bait wasn't good enough but because I knew the other baits were being used to good effect on the waters I was fishing so if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

As for particle, I do use it but only when I feel I need to. This will mainly be after spawning and if I'm on a new water.  The particle mix I use had once again been designed by a mate. When I first got told about it he told me to bait up with it in advance as the fish take a while to get on it. I thought he was full of nonsense so started baiting a snag tree on a new water so I could see the reaction. He wasn't wrong.  First bucket load took 4 days to be eaten, could clearly see it hadn't been touched until the 4th day. This went on until after a couple of weeks they were smashing it up as soon  as it went in. It's a simple mix pretty much with only 3 particles, ooops I meant 4 and the 4th one is the one that does the business.  Works extremely well where nuts are banned, and yet you won't find a single nut in the mix. I've had bailiffs root through the bucket before now and they don't find a single nut either and yet over a quarter of the bucket is nut. A very clever mix but sadly can't say what it is or I'll have to k**l you 😂

When is a nut, not a nut?! That’s got the old grey matter working!👏🤪

2 minutes ago, Highy said:

1st time EVER used particle when i use these...being very cautious.

your prep sounds fine i.e soaking 24-48 hr them simmer for 30 mins , but do not let your particles dry out otherwise your undoing your prep which is done for the health of the fish . Leave the air drying for boilies if you need to .