Flavour of the Week - Bait

I tend to use a bait consistently all the way through. I get on a food source bait and use it straight through the year, no change for winter. That bait also needs to be attractive as I will use it on a runs water on occasional trips as well.

In summer I might add in particles, but in winter it is boilies alone, albeit some are crushed, crumbled or just chopped.

My summer particle mix is Pigeon conditioner, Pigeon Mix, the two are not the same. Pigeon conditioner is the tiny seeds, Pigeon Mix is the maize, black eyes, maples, etc. The Pigeon Mix needs 24 hour soak and boil, the pigeon conditioner is pour boiling water over and leave overnight.

Dependant on water, I might use some particle hookbait, easy that, it is known as sweetcorn.

I do always keep some pop-ups in my bait bag, and one stands out head and shoulders above almost everything else, Garlic Oil and Spice flavour pop-ups. I have caught on them when even the bright yellow Pineapple whatever has failed! 

My runs water, those Garlic Spice pop-ups caught almost every pop-up caught fish this year, and I tried a fair few others.

39 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Sticky krill , double 12mm bottom baits. Total faith and confidence in sticky baits.

That said in the winter it’s maggots and lots of them! Underrated and often ignored. 

Watched Thinking Tackle last night with Adam Penning and Damian Clarke....Hammered it on Maggot balls in March

1 hour ago, Highy said:

Watched Thinking Tackle last night with Adam Penning and Damian Clarke....Hammered it on Maggot balls in March

Excellent winter bait, get the odd pike and perch too. 

I've noticed a lot of waters now will limit the amount, 4pints a day? They must mess with the eco system I guess? 

17 hours ago, commonly said:

Excellent winter bait, get the odd pike and perch too. 

I've noticed a lot of waters now will limit the amount, 4pints a day? They must mess with the eco system I guess? 

its because they have no nutritional value at all. Imagine every angler using gallons and no actual boilie or even particles going in, the fish will starve. It's why linear had to shut a lake down the other winter.

Makes sense I guess?

Surely not every angler is fishing Maggot though? Unless your sponsored maggots get expensive when you buy gallons, which is why I was surprised to notice limits being put in the rules. 

If I remember rightly wasn't it mid year, my syndi was closed for spawning, so planned to go oxlease, first time ever, it was closed! 

There must be so much rotten bait on the bed in that lake! & other pressured waters. 

Had the same issue a few weeks back , booked to stay at lakeside chichester, planned to fish Vinnetrow. Closed. Low oxygen levels in this case. 

9 hours ago, commonly said:

This seems as good a thread as any. 

In recent discussions I have been minded to use Scopex Squid. One of the write ups says an angler tore my syndicate lake to pieces with it! Nash seem to be the main supplier, but wondered if anyone knows of a reliable source? 

Angling direct for Nash is as cheap as anywere...for Nash

7 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

You can get it from any stockist at £39.99 for a 5kg bag. 

£8 a kilo you cant grumble at that...i got the 3 for 2 offer....so 6 x 1 kilo bags for £32..

4 hours ago, Highy said:

Angling direct for Nash is as cheap as anywere...for Nash

£8 a kilo you cant grumble at that...i got the 3 for 2 offer....so 6 x 1 kilo bags for £32..

The 3 for 2 is only on the instant action range. The scopex squid is a more expensive bait. But yeah, on the 5kg price, it’s a real bargain. 

I use bollies for probably 90% of my fishing and the other 10% i use a standard particale mix of hemp, maize/corn(red and yellow) and some micro pellets thrown in to help soak up the moisture.

My bag mixes vary so much that it changes almost session from session but it usually consists of blended up bollies, hemp, corn and a few various liquids.

The bollies i use are usually Nash instant action any flavour, Crafty Catcher king prawn/peanut pro and sticky manilla.

My bait thoughts revolve solely on what I believe carp can detect and what I believe they like to eat.

My favourite bait (to use) is a decent boillie, no doubt, and I mean lots of them!! I fish them with pellets, lots of them!!! I'd say 90% of my fishing takes this approach. Carp absolutely love the bait I use (Trent Baits) and they love pellet. I know this not because I've been told so, it's because I've watched their response to it. They completely smash it up until there's nowt left. Simple.

However..... there are times when boillies don't do the do for me. This can be caused by a number of things and for each scenario I have a different angle of attack. There are times when it doesn't matter how good a boiled bait you use, they prefer something else, it's a fact, I've seen it. My alternate baiting always has something a little different in it, although it'll also include some very well known baits such as hemp, tigers, peanuts, bread etc. I'm sure it's the 'different' that tends to see me do OK. Rest assured when I'm not using boillie, I'll be using a mix that no-one else is using.