Popping my French cherry

Heading over the channel for the first time in a couple of months.  A group of us are going for a mates 50 th , we had to change the venue from the original one booked, But I think to a man we are all more than happy where we've ended up . 

Screenshot_20180604-183021.thumb.png.5f5dee4665ee37474fe59e373837e458.pngScreenshot_20180604-183249.thumb.png.d77d3f0e37a50f9d9eff5a72a94a2ec0.png

With the whole lake booked an only ten of us fishing , there will be plenty of opportunity to move or head off stalking etc . 

Really need to start thinking about getting bait sorted etc as it will soon be August.  

Looks superb. Hope you have a great time!!

I picked up these little snippets "elsewhere" regarding bait, hope they help....

"Hi.. I've fished and taken groups to Chateat Moulin for approx 12 yrs .
You won't be disappointed, stunning venue,great owners and a lovely place to fish/spend time. 
Only been once in June (a bit hot for me) although I still caught well, normally go October and or winter.. 
Going swims.... as with any lake there are the popular 'hot'or 'going' swims that tend to produce more chances but don't be disheartened if you come out 'down the draw' .. I always take last choice and do ok 1.gif every swim on the lake will produce.. 
Bait .... mmmm .. now I would say the Housebait , but I supply it.. 
So .. with all honesty, take a good quality bait and you'll be ok..
But especially in the warmer months don't take small baits and don't use stick mix etc as there are lots of silvers that will plague you.
Have a look on their website some helpfull tips etc and details of restrictions on hook type etc . 
Most of all .. enjoy the surroundings . 
Any other info feel free to pm me or message Steve through the Chateau Moulin facebook page and he'll put you right"

"Went last year,min size 4 hooks(as your fishing against Lilly pads) simple flouro d rigs is ok.
Take plenty of bait I personally did ok on Premier baits quad.£6.50 kg. Fishmeals tend to attract cat fish also use nothing less than 20mm as there are lots of bream. Lovely water,Kim and Steve are great people.
I had 25 fish mainly 30s everybody else was catching 50s  I fished rods up high with heavy indicators.
Don't be afraid to put plenty of bait in,they love there boilies!!
Don't use particles as you will just get breamed out.
Hope I've been of help."

Edited by smufter

Thanks Rob ... they do seem to push the house bait ( but then again who wouldn't) I'll be taking 50 - 60  k of baitworks finest , popped into the factory a while back & sorted a price for a bulk deal as I'm picking a bit up for others too . 

It does appear that fish come out all over the lake been following catches on fb  .... you only have to look at that overhead peg map to see why . 

Not long now & your be heading off across the channel .... 😎

6 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Thanks Rob ... they do seem to push the house bait ( but then again who wouldn't) I'll be taking 50 - 60  k of baitworks finest , popped into the factory a while back & sorted a price for a bulk deal as I'm picking a bit up for others too . 

It does appear that fish come out all over the lake been following catches on fb  .... you only have to look at that overhead peg map to see why . 

Not long now & your be heading off across the channel .... 😎

29 days.

But who's counting.....😁

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 22:00, chillfactor said:

Driving gagna... Looking at around 10 hours on the road + the ferry crossing .

Look forward to seeing some more river catches from you soon then 😎

I'm only down for 5 days , hopefully I will get enough time to catch one ,I will be happy just to get my line in ! I will be going back later in the year for a family holiday and hopefully another go !

Are you driving through the hell hole Paris maze ? I try to avoid it like a bream !

I usually spend the first few days after my arrival mapping out the river on my kayak , studying the new fallen trees and the new resting up places then introducing my baits .so , no hanging around this time !

Just getting my excuses in for the blank !

Phil, may I ask why you guys had to pull out of the original venue? You probably know that Alan and I were on the list but I had to honour a promise to my elder granddaughter to take her to her wedding in my vintage Morris. I'd add that the replacement water looks even more inviting!

Ian

Real shame you both couldn't make it Ian. When I was up at  Mick's he mentioned it was due to a family wedding.  

Regarding the first venue .... the owners basically shut the lake until further notice . Due to the fact the manager was on the take from what I understand.  Apparently we were one of the lucky bookings as are deposit had been plyed into lake account & not the managers ! So we got the deposit back . 

It did reopen not long after but Iberian had already sorted the new venue , which I'm far happier with.  Longer journey but hopefully it will be worth the effort for us all .

I'd heard rumours that there was an underlying problem at the place, Phil. Didn't know any more than that and as I'd already told Mick that we couldn't make it I didn't delve further. Anyway, enjoy breaking your French cherry and please pass my best regards to all who know me.

Meantime Alan and I are off to Rushes Lake this coming weekend. I'll let you know how we get on.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fantastic week away guys 😎 ... with great friends. Lake was absolutely stunning as was the surrounding country side . Epic 20 hr drive on the way there in 40 degrees heat , we were in convoy & the lead car decided on a site seeing trip around Paris at rush hour 😂 .

Was 8th out the draw so peg choice was limited for me , but opted for the far end of the lake where the river came in. 20180809_193120.thumb.jpg.2e824de4fc34fcf9c42c8473a0aad421.jpg

first half of the week was tough going with temps not dropping below 38 . Didn't manage anything of any reel size lost four bigguns in the lillies.  Landed a good number of 20lb  + fish with this common bring my best catch of the week . Screenshot_20180812-122205_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c5789613d5ca8a8e4f1e7e3d846e717f.jpg

We all are  stevo 😎 .... he was still blanking on Wednesday evening,  I had an ealier walk for dinner on the Wednesday & stopped off in his swim for a chat . One of  the best things about socials is bouncing ideas off each other,  he applied what we spoke about that evening & had a 30 + & a 47 lb er a few hours later . Then followed it up with the biggest fish of the trip with that 53 lber. 

Awesome stuff mate 😎