Lb line to use.

It's not all about size of fish, how snaggy is the lake? how much weed? is there mussel beds? is there many gravel bars that could cause cut offs. I fish 15lb for most occasions because I dont know whether i'll be putting the rod in open water or next to a snag. It keeps my options open. I'd never fish anything lighter to snags because you want the abrasion resistance and extra diameter.

Personally think 10lb is a bit on the low side. ...... Even some of the smaller, scatty, male fish give the run around under the tips sometimes. And any bankside snag, they'll look for ..

If you are not going to fish at range, 100yds plus, where a smaller diameter line will help you gain a few yds on the cast. Then i'd up the bs to 12 or 14lb...... Some waters will insist on higher bs of 14lb and above.

You may get away with the 10lb for the next month or so... But once any weed growth or bankside foliage takes hold, I'd be looking to up the bs...

Welcome to the forum.

6 hours ago, B.C. said:

Personally think 10lb is a bit on the low side. ...... Even some of the smaller, scatty, male fish give the run around under the tips sometimes. And any bankside snag, they'll look for ..

If you are not going to fish at range, 100yds plus, where a smaller diameter line will help you gain a few yds on the cast. Then i'd up the bs to 12 or 14lb...... Some waters will insist on higher bs of 14lb and above.

You may get away with the 10lb for the next month or so... But once any weed growth or bankside foliage takes hold, I'd be looking to up the bs...

Welcome to the forum.

You'd be surprised what i've landed on 8lb line around weed and lilies😖😉

20lb from the lilies behind my right shoulder, size 10 hook, 7lb hooklink on a dog biscuit, and yes, thats Hintelsham. 

A very through actioned rod that was bent to the handle at times.

image.jpeg

I tend to use 12lb line for my "domestic" fishing and have my spare spools loaded with 15lb for when I go to France.

At the moment I am using 15lb Technium on my main rods but it's not behaving the way it usually does, maybe it's a bad batch?

I'm tempted to take it off and reload my spools with the Asso line I bought the other week.It's 16lb apparently but the diameter is slightly lower than whats on them at the moment.

18 minutes ago, smufter said:

I tend to use 12lb line for my "domestic" fishing and have my spare spools loaded with 15lb for when I go to France.

At the moment I am using 15lb Technium on my main rods but it's not behaving the way it usually does, maybe it's a bad batch?

I'm tempted to take it off and reload my spools with the Asso line I bought the other week.It's 16lb apparently but the diameter is slightly lower than whats on them at the moment.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the recent technium batches 

6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

You'd be surprised what i've landed on 8lb line around weed and lilies😖😉

I think fishing for carp around lilies and weed with 8lb line is verging on irresponsible Nick, no disrespect you understand buddy.

For me the safest rig/set-up is the one that lands the fish - hence I always use a higher BS line.

12 hours ago, B.C. said:

I agree.

Coiling up more than usual Yonny, and spilling over the lip. Haven't loaded it any differently to usual, and not over filled. Not as supple as it usually is.

My only concern with loading the Asso line is it's a bit of an "unknown" to me as far as stretch is concerned. But I've paid for it so I might as well use it!

Edited by smufter

2 hours ago, yonny said:

I think fishing for carp around lilies and weed with 8lb line is verging on irresponsible Nick, no disrespect you understand buddy.

For me the safest rig/set-up is the one that lands the fish - hence I always use a higher BS line.

I agree.

To be honest we hadn't even intended fishing there, had planned on going to another lake in Hadleigh, but didn't see any fish show whatsoever, and Hintelsham was on my way home.

I regularly use 8lb line for floater fishing in snag free lakes, going up in weedier waters to 15lb. Yet I have only lost fish floater fishing to hookpulls, not line breakage. 

Lilies are actually more spread out on top than below the surface. Imagine a table, the table surface being the lilies, now imagine it standing on one leg in the middle underneath, that is basically a lily bed. The lily leaf stems are also quite easy to break, not the main root stem, but the leaves will pop free.

On Taverham in weed and lilies I was using 12lb Daiwa Sensor, no tackle breakages, quite regularly.

I honestly think, and it may cause some thinking, we use heavier line because of the weights we are using to cast, not because of the fish we are fishing for.

An old thread, but may be of interest:

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

we use heavier line because of the weights we are using to cast, not because of the fish we are fishing for.

In some cases maybe.

I use a 0.40 dia. snag mono as I'm not allowed to use braid on my syndi and guys are getting cut off in the weed using even 15 lb line..... and when a forty pounder heads for the weed there's not much stopping it.....

It has nowt to do with the size of the lead for me. It relates entirely to the environment and the carps ability to exploit it.

2 minutes ago, yonny said:

In some cases maybe.

I use a 0.40 dia. snag mono as I'm not allowed to use braid on my syndi and guys are getting cut off in the weed using even 15 lb line..... and when a forty pounder heads for the weed there's not much stopping it.....

It has nowt to do with the size of the lead for me. It relates entirely to the environment and the carps ability to exploit it.

I was cut off whilst using 20lb Sensor. There's plenty of sharp mussels in that weed.

Still gutted - know it was a beast!!! :(

17 minutes ago, yonny said:

Yup.... you just had to look at what the fully was passing through to understand why those cut-offs were happening!

Yes and if you take that further you can see that those baby mussels that are hiding in the weed through summer, cutting us off, drop into the silt gullies in the main bowl in autumn and get feasted on, which IMO is the main food source when we struggle Sept/Oct.

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I honestly think we use heavier line because of the weights we are using to cast, not because of the fish we are fishing for

Not me Sir. I used the same weights, whether I'm fishing in the UK or France. Maximum would be 2oz but most times it's just 1oz.

I up my line when I go to France purely to be on the safe side. For both mine and the fishes sake, I'd rather be using 15lb line fighting a 40 than 10 or 12.

Not that I am going to "haul it in"..........but the last thing I want is for the line to give up and leave a fish with a hook hanging out of it's gob.

6 hours ago, greekskii said:

I've heard a lot of bad things about the recent technium batches 

Haven't had any probs using it (touch wood).... But did feel quite wirey/stiff whilst loading, even after a two day soak... The swims I've fished recently haven't required much of a chuck though.

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

Yes and if you take that further you can see that those baby mussels that are hiding in the weed through summer, cutting us off, drop into the silt gullies in the main bowl in autumn and get feasted on, which IMO is the main food source when we struggle Sept/Oct.

Even fine grit / sand & gravel in the weed can be more than enough to cause cut offs & water snails .

Must admit to being more than happy with the line yonny put me on to , it coped with those two unexpected catfish charging through lillie beds & that was a proper test for it .

I always take two lines with me fishing... a casting line & a snag line , as you never know where you might find the fish .

24 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Even fine grit / sand & gravel in the weed can be more than enough to cause cut offs & water snails .

Must admit to being more than happy with the line yonny put me on to , it coped with those two unexpected catfish charging through lillie beds & that was a proper test for it .

I always take two lines with me fishing... a casting line & a snag line , as you never know where you might find the fish .

I thought 20lb sensor was snag line - tough as old boots, but still not enough, can't use snag leaders.

3 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

I thought 20lb sensor was snag line - tough as old boots, but still not enough, can't use snag leaders.

Me too mate ... just goes to show under certain conditions it's still not enough. 

Tubing can really help too , I've had deep cuts into tubing before would of been a cutt off for sure without it.