Lb line to use.

24 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Was using tubing mate and the fish only moved a couple of yards but it was stuck fast.

If I had let it run I probably would have landed it but because I was locked up it just dived into the weed to the right of the spot.

Noddy mistake imo 😣

I remember pointing out to a member on here , who couldn't see any reason for ever letting a fish run before lifting into it. 

This was my exact point mate . 

Unlucky kev ... I just did a two night blank on the syndi , my only excitement were a few line bites from spawning pike :D

12 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

I remember pointing out to a member on here , who couldn't see any reason for ever letting a fish run before lifting into it. 

Unlucky kev ... I just did a two night blank on the syndi , my only excitement were a few line bites from spawning pike :D

Letting them run depends on the swim, closeness to snag/weed and the angle being fished from.

In this case I got it wrong - knowing that is half the battle.

In hindsight letting it run along the clear gulley could have given me the chance to get it up off the bottom, whereas in this case it did the opposite.  Choosing the right setup for the scenario is key.  I got that one wrong, was in the habit of locking up and didn't listen to my own doubts and reasoning.

Better luck next time 😊

15 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

A few years ago on Brackens in one of the corner and margin swims it was safer to let a fish run and away from where it was hooked. The lead staying on the line kept it down until it was clear of the overhang. Lift straight into it, and you often pulled the line into the snag yourself.

Totally doesn't feel right, but it worked.

49 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Letting them run depends on the swim, closeness to snag/weed and the angle being fished from.

100 % mate you need to know the water .

I was doing it  on a lake where you were fishing over the back of a big weed bed , pointless pulling  them straight into the weed , if they were already heading away from it . So would just wait a little while before lifting into it . 

7 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

If I had let it run I probably would have landed it but because I was locked up it just dived into the weed to the right of the spot.

Noddy mistake imo 😣

Nah mate.sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, it' against you. Letting it run would just result in a load of line lost with it. We just have to accept that In weedy waters you lose the odd fish. Just got to lose them as safely as possible!!

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Nah mate.sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, it' against you. Letting it run would just result in a load of line lost with it. We just have to accept that In weedy waters you lose the odd fish. Just got to lose them as safely as possible!!

Well they seem pretty smart for pea brains at times, doing the one thing you don't want them to. 😊