I've never bought new pegs........ I've lost the occasional peg on the bank and borrowed one from another bivvy set if I think it will be needed...... Damaged pegs are usually the result of a mallet being used, something I don't do... Besides, most of the time you only need 3 or 4 pegs.... I think there is an age group/mentality group that these sort of products are aimed at, and it's got nothing to do with fishing....

I've been trying to offload some used gear, free of charge to any youngsters that are without certain bits..... Bed chair, bags, Rod holdall...... First thing they ask is "what make is it".... There is a serious fashion thing going on with the youngsters today on the bank........ Designer fishing gear, pointless imo.

15 minutes ago, B.C. said:

I've never bought new pegs........

Me neither. I've found plenty on the bank that I resort to if I lose one myself.

I did once look at getting these, solely for weight saving:

https://www.snowandrock.com/p/msr-carbon-core-tent-stakes-D1872092.html?channable=e18640.MTA0NjU4XzE4MA&colour=180&source=webgains&siteid=153495affiliate%3Dwebgains&utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Octer

However, at 50 quid for 8 I reckon I can deal with the extra kilo.....

17 minutes ago, B.C. said:

I think there is an age group/mentality group that these sort of products are aimed at, and it's got nothing to do with fishing....

I tend to agree.

18 minutes ago, B.C. said:

I've been trying to offload some used gear, free of charge to any youngsters that are without certain bits..... Bed chair, bags, Rod holdall...... First thing they ask is "what make is it".... There is a serious fashion thing going on with the youngsters today on the bank........ Designer fishing gear, pointless imo.

That is truly saddening mate. I couldn't have cared less about kit when I was a lad, I just wanted to be on the bank trying to catch fish.

33 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

£32 might not be too bad

I know ive broke god knows how many of the cheaper hard plastic peg and had to buy new ones

so if the soft plastic ones don't break as quick it might actually be a bargain

I was taught a long time ago to look for pegs where the metal work goes all the way through, that way you are pushing down onto metal and not plastic, which will eventually crack.... A 4" piece of batten in your peg bag is a decent enough "palm saver", so no mallet needed equals longer life span of pegs....

2 hours ago, B.C. said:

I was taught a long time ago to look for pegs where the metal work goes all the way through, that way you are pushing down onto metal and not plastic, which will eventually crack.... A 4" piece of batten in your peg bag is a decent enough "palm saver", so no mallet needed equals longer life span of pegs....

ive had the "metal goes all the way through" pegs and the plastic ends up sliding down the shaft

ive had the cheapo nasty 50p pegs and gone through 20 in less than a year

not all swims have soft ground and pegs need to be hammered in

ive probably gone though 40 pegs in 3 years at a cost of over the £32 for the aqua pegs

so if they are a better quality peg that would last a fair few years id be quids in

1 hour ago, harpz_31 said:

ive had the "metal goes all the way through" pegs and the plastic ends up sliding down the shaft

ive had the cheapo nasty 50p pegs and gone through 20 in less than a year

not all swims have soft ground and pegs need to be hammered in

ive probably gone though 40 pegs in 3 years at a cost of over the £32 for the aqua pegs

so if they are a better quality peg that would last a fair few years id be quids in

What are you hitting them with?😱

Mine are over 10 years old, get moved from bivvy to bivvy each time I buy a new one. I am very careful to not lose them, if one gets blown out, I go searching, but have spares, from each new bivvy I get.

I have never needed to hammer a bivvy peg in, even in the ground the brolly is on in the pic. By screwing the pegs in by hand they held, and I have fished that swim a few times.

It is in softer ground that I have problems, and wish for longer pegs. The wind loosens the pegs and pulls them free.

Oh yes, think I paid £8 for 10 of these pegs, complete in a decent individualised carry pouch.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, B.C. said:

I've never bought new pegs........ I've lost the occasional peg on the bank and borrowed one from another bivvy set if I think it will be needed...... Damaged pegs are usually the result of a mallet being used, something I don't do... Besides, most of the time you only need 3 or 4 pegs.... I think there is an age group/mentality group that these sort of products are aimed at, and it's got nothing to do with fishing....

On the forum for caa mayevthey have a specific section for giving freebies to junior members 😉

2 hours ago, spr1985 said:

On the forum for caa mayevthey have a specific section for giving freebies to junior members 😉

Cheers mate I'll have a look in future... I gave a load of old mags to a youngen last week and he seems quite keen to have any bits I've no use for, just gotta clear it with his parents first. It will be painful parting with some of it, but someone else might as well put it to good use.... Downside is, I can't put off sorting the shed out for much longer.....:)

9 hours ago, B.C. said:

batten? wots that bud?

22 hours ago, yonny said:

And they have metal all the way through.

once they slide down the wings nipped into the metal stop them sliding back up

23 hours ago, yonny said:

It's a bit of cheap steel with a plastic cap mate. They're all cheapo. Only difference is these are blue.

im sure some1 said it was rubber and not hard plastic

21 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

What are you hitting them with?😱

a rubber mallet

if I could push them in id have no problem but when theres fist sized bit of stone and pebbles that make up about 60% of the swim ud need arm like thor to push a peg in